Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grocery Stores and AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2002, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Grocery Stores and AMEX

I am struggling with the local grocery chains in my area not accepting AMEX for purchases. Has anyone had any luck in getting a merchant to accept AMEX? To all the EU members on the site, Royal Ahold is one of the conglomerates in question. Do they allow you to purchase groceries in UK, Netherlands, etc with AMEX.
Any insights from the FT community would be appreciated. Thanks...
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:31 am

Hmm, many grocery stores here in Jamaica accept AMEX.

I would have thought that you would be able to find a grocery store in Harrisburg, PA that accepts AMEX.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:47 pm

The following PA chains accept AmEx:

Acme
Redners
Genuardi's
Clemmens

Giant does not accept AmEx.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights. Giant and Weis are the two majors in my neck of the woods. Time to try the Merchant Relations at Amex and maybe Corporate with Giant. I don't know about the parent (Royal Ahold) letting loose of the additional 1 1/2 % fee versus Visa.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 6:24 pm

I believe Kroger (King Soopers et al) takes AMEX but Safeway does not.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 7:11 pm

I will be making a trip to Paris, France in December. Do supermarkets there (Monoprix??) accept AMEX?
Old Nov 17, 2002, 8:56 pm
DH

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TTT103:
The following PA chains accept AmEx:
Giant does not accept AmEx.
</font>
Is this a recent change? I always used AmEx at Giants (FYI, Giant is not my primary grocery store).

Harris Teeter accepts AmEx and I think Fresh Field does too...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:48 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf:
I am struggling with the local grocery chains in my area not accepting AMEX for purchases. Has anyone had any luck in getting a merchant to accept AMEX? To all the EU members on the site, Royal Ahold is one of the conglomerates in question. Do they allow you to purchase groceries in UK, Netherlands, etc with AMEX.
Any insights from the FT community would be appreciated. Thanks...
</font>
Most of the large chains in the UK accept Amex ... Tesco, Sainsburys ... though one noteable exception is Waitrose ??

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:04 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DH:
I always used AmEx at Giants (FYI, Giant is not my primary grocery store).</font>
FYI, there are two chains in the mid-Atlantic area with the name "Giant." One is PA-based ( http://www.giantpa.com ) and the other is MD/VA-based ( http://www.giantfood.com/ ). Maybe this is the source of confusion. I'm familiar with the PA giant, and they don't take Amex.

Now the PA Giant is expanding into MD. I wonder how long before they need to either merge or separate their brands somehow?

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by West-Indies:
I will be making a trip to Paris, France in December. Do supermarkets there (Monoprix??) accept AMEX?</font>
I never had problems using Amexco in Paris.

The following stores in Florida accept Amexco: Publix & Albertsons. I am not sure about WinnDixi.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:56 am

Gandalf - Royal Ahold also owns Stop & Shop (which is New England based supermarket). Stop & Shop takes AmEx (but I think that was only after their main competitor here, Star/Shaw's supermarket was taking AmEx), so I know that it isn't a Royal Ahold thing.

I bet you that it is more of a local competition thing - if it will not generate any more income (or loss of customers to a competitor), why shell out the extra commission to Amex?
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by West-Indies:
I will be making a trip to Paris, France in December. Do supermarkets there (Monoprix??) accept AMEX?</font>
I can confirm this point : all Monoprix stores accept Amex.

Also all department stores : Galeries Lafayette, Printemps, BHV, Samaritaine, ...

(Amex is not accepted in Auchan, Carrefour and smaller supermarkets)

[This message has been edited by ahrz (edited 11-18-2002).]
Old Nov 18, 2002, 2:04 pm

In the Charlotte, NC area, Harris Teeter, Winn-Dixie, and The Fresh Market accept Amex. Bi-Lo (our local Ahold store) and Food Lion don't. We're also now getting Lowe's Foods (no relation to the hardware store), but I don't know their Amex status.

During my trips to the Long Island/NYC area, I've found that Waldbaum's (an A&P-owned store) is an 'Amex friendly' market.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 2:58 pm

In the New York City area,
Pathmark supermarkets accept AmEx (this only started about a year or two ago.)
Old Nov 18, 2002, 6:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
FYI, there are two chains in the mid-Atlantic area with the name "Giant." One is PA-based ( http://www.giantpa.com ) and the other is MD/VA-based ( http://www.giantfood.com/ ). Maybe this is the source of confusion. I'm familiar with the PA giant, and they don't take Amex.

</font>

The Giant I shop at opened a year ago and only accepts VI/MC/Discover. I hadn't realized that there were two different operators of Giant. Actually, I am not a big fan of Giant becuase there service is horrible. Fortunately, their prices and bakery have kept me coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.