Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grocery Stores and AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither of the Giant chains mentioned accepts AMEX and neither do the Safeway's in HI or on the west coast. Fortunately Costco accepts it everywhere.

MisterNice
Old Nov 18, 2002, 8:04 pm

Shop Rite in PA takes AMEX. Sure wish Giant did since I been buying a lot of Kellogg's with the AA certs there.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 8:12 pm

Here in DE, Acme,Pathmark and Zingos takes AMEX.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 3:57 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Here in Oz (at least Sydney), Amex is accepted at all major supermarkets.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 7:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
FYI, there are two chains in the mid-Atlantic area with the name "Giant." One is PA-based ( http://www.giantpa.com ) and the other is MD/VA-based ( http://www.giantfood.com/ ). Maybe this is the source of confusion. I'm familiar with the PA giant, and they don't take Amex.

Now the PA Giant is expanding into MD. I wonder how long before they need to either merge or separate their brands somehow?

</font>
Yes, this is the point of Confusion-

Royal Ahold owns the DC/MD/VA Giant and those do accept AMEX.

Cant comment on the others, although I can say that I have been asking my Dry Cleaners to accept amex for several months now. Most merchants that have chosen not to accept AMEX have put serious thought into it. AMEX Charges the merchant substantially more than VI/MC and they also pay the merchants much more slowly!

Good Luck

Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:50 am

Duplicate Post

[This message has been edited by exitrowPls (edited 11-19-2002).]
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:12 am

Giant in PA has been owned by Royal Ahold for a long time. Does not accept AmEx

Giant in DC/MD/VA was owned by the Cohen family and was sold to Royal Ahold about three or four years ago (maybe even five).

Prior to the merger PA Giant's in MD were called Martin's and MD Giants were not in PA. (EDIT: Actually, I think that there were some in the Philly area but I can't remember what they were called.)

To make things more confusing, I believe there is a Giant Eagle in the Pittsburgh area but I have no idea what they accept as a payment method.

[This message has been edited by smk219 (edited 11-19-2002).]
Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:16 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smk219:
Actually, I think that there were some in the Philly area but I can't remember what they were called.</font>
According to the MD/VA Giant website, Super G.

Old Nov 19, 2002, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

I am pasting a response from the Customer Relations Dept at Giant. Thanks for the info, particularly the MD info. This is a little closer to home. Not sure where I will take this next, but I will probably compile a list of ALL major Grocery chains that accept Amex and "kick it up a notch" with Giant Corporate and Amex Merchant Services.

Any advice or contacts on the Giant or AMex side would be appreciated.

***************Giant CR Reply****************
Dear Mike:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the credit cards
accepted at GIANT Food Stores. It is through the efforts of concerned
customers such as yourself that we are able to correct some of our
shortcomings. We do appreciate your comments.

GIANT Food Stores do not accept American Express. The fees incurred
through American Express are much higher than those of other credit card
companies. Due to these high fees, we have made a business decision not to
accept American Express. However, I am unaware of the acceptance at our
sister companies. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We do appreciate your understanding in
this matter and look forward to continuing to serve your shopping needs."

"
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice:
Neither of the Giant chains mentioned accepts AMEX and neither do the Safeway's in HI or on the west coast. </font>
Safeway in Hawaii has accepted Amex since shortly after Bank of Hawaii sold its credit card portfolio to Amex last year.

[This message has been edited by chazas (edited 11-19-2002).]
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:34 pm

I wouldn't count on supermarkets like Monoprix taking Amex in Paris. Or anyone else besides hotels, upscale restaurants, department stores and high-end shops.

And lucky you-Amex charges a hefty fee to convert charges in foreign currency. I beleive it is 2% but check as it could be something else.

If you'll be there a while, best to get a CC that does not layer added fees.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:51 am

Programs: LH Senator, BD Gold
I'm in the Netherlands - home of Royal Ahold. Ahold's main supermarket chain here is called Albert Heijn - which also happens to be the biggest chain in the country.

Anyway, Albert Heijn are too tight fisted with the 2-3% commission to take even Visa or MC, let alone Amex. Only "PIN" is accepted - a Netherlands-only debit card.

Off topic, but I just need to add that AH are a big pile of faecal matter compared with UK supermarket chains...

Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:56 am

Programs: LH Senator, BD Gold
I'm in the Netherlands - home of Royal Ahold. Ahold's main supermarket chain here is called Albert Heijn - which also happens to be the biggest chain in the country.

Anyway, Albert Heijn are too tight fisted with the 2-3% commission to take even Visa or MC, let alone Amex. Only "PIN" is accepted - a Netherlands-only debit card.

Off topic, but I just need to add that AH are a big pile of faecal matter compared with UK supermarket chains...

Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mountain Trader:
I wouldn't count on supermarkets like Monoprix taking Amex in Paris.....</font>
Why wouldn't you? Either they accept it or not and ahrz has confirmed that they do!

Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Here in DFW, Albertson's, Kroger, and Tom Thumb (owned by safeway) all accept AmEx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.