AmEx Delta Gold Sign Up Bonus Question

Subscribe
I was told by AmEx CSR that I won't get the sign up bonus miles because I had AmEx DL card before. Has anyone had similar problem with AmEx?

I didn't have such problem with AA/Citibank sign up bonus though.

Looks like I have to cancel the card or switch to Hilton HHonors card...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
I had the same problems, was told that I get the bonus miles only once.
Than I filled out the flyer/application card which came with my Delta statement, mailed the form to Delta and got the 10,000 bonus SkyMiles. Did the same for Mrs., she also got the 10,000 miles!
I believe you can apply also on Amexco's website.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
Than I filled out the flyer/application card which came with my Delta statement, mailed the form to Delta and got the 10,000 bonus SkyMiles. Did the same for Mrs., she also got the 10,000 miles!
I believe you can apply also on Amexco's website.
</font>
Would you clarify this? Are you referring to the AmEx DL application form (which gets included on DL statements)?

FYI, that's the application form I mailed in but no cigar...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Yes, I filled and mailed the blue application card "10,000 Bonus SkyMiles. And first year free" which came with the Delta mail.
Just file it again .. Amexco has a lousy organisation. Actually, at one time I got a letter: "...you don't get a new card...". A couple of days later the card was in the mail ..!?!
I had the same problem. The AMEX service rep. said it was because my AMEX gold Delta card had been active within the year. I wonder if I sign up again using the paper form if it will work. Maybe I should just totally cancel the card.
I was just recently denied the 10,000 bonus miles for having received the bonus back in 1999. CSR checked and informed me that since I had received the bonus already that I could not get it again. Sounds like a hit & miss sort of thing.
I've had three cards I think over the last several years. Not that I was doing it on purpose (really), but for some reason I got tired of paying the fee and cancelled, then signed up again when the offer was juicy enough.

I always did wonder why they didn't check if people were churning through the cards and loading up on miles. I suspect cost cutting at DL and Amex has made them more careful of this.
I routinely switch between the Delta Gold Optima, Hilton HHonors Optima and Starwood Optima Cards.

Usually to avoid the fees. I would usually cancel the other two and sign-up again after 7 or 8 months and ALWAYS got the bonuses offered.

However, I recently didn't get the 10,000 Delta Points for signing back up for the Gold Card.

When I called, the CSR said since I already got a bonus for the Hilton HHonors card, I was not eligible for this card.

So, I guess I will cancel all my AMEX cards at the same time now and wait 7 months and chose one for the bonus.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JustinCredible:
However, I recently didn't get the 10,000 Delta Points for signing back up for the Gold Card.</font>
How did you sign up? Did you use the Delta form/card which comes with the Delta Miles?
If yes, they have to give you the miles.
I got the 10,000 SkyMiles for the Mrs. and me several times! in the past years.
I received a personalized offer from Delta (vs. the standard insert in mileage statements) for:
10,000 Bonus for first purchase
2,500 Bonus for additional card member
7,500 Bonus of you spend $7,500 before 12/31
Double miles for paying taxes on-line

Sounds like a great deal, so I signed up in April. How many of the BONUS miles have I received? 5,000!

AMEX is doing everything possible to avoid distributing the additional bonus miles. Apparently, I had a Delta card in 1996 and received 5,000 miles so I was only eligible for 5,000 more given that it is a lifetime maximum.

Well, why did you send me a personalized offer for 10,000? I could understand if I provided some information after the offer was sent that made me ineligible, but come on… who can remember a credit card from EIGHT years ago. They are the ones that sent the personalized offer.

In addition, I have been fighting with them about the other bonus points. I have been getting the run around from my calls, faxes, and letters. Given that I have their offer documented in writing and a volume of correspondence, I am thinking about calling Florida’s attorney general and BBB.

I can hardly wait to cancel this card!
I had a lot of trouble, e-mails, phone calls and faxes with Amexco. But as mentioned before, after all the fights I GOT ALL THE PROMISED BONUS SKYMILES!
Generally when you apply with a form or via Internet, a lady from Amexco calls to ask some questions. During this call I asked if the card is free for for one year and if I would get the (10,000) bonus miles. If not, I don't want the card.
To show how Amexco is run: A week ago I got a letter from Amexco Ft. Lauderdale, that I would not get the bonus miles for acc. xyz. I had canceled this card (acc. xyz) in Jan. 2002, and had gotten the bonus miles!
(sort of OMNI but not really)

I concurr that Amex is a real circus. In a related type of incident, I was promised 5K MR points for a bank account and thats now being denied... I written several email and dont know what to do, maybe I will let that one be.

Starwood Amex: I got an offer for 8K SPG points bonus while on their website they offer 10K points for the SAME CARD. I applied under the link and am awaiting the card, Im sure trying to get the additional 2K SPG points is gonna' be a foodfight.

Finally a question thats on topic to this thread: does anybody know how long you have to keep the Delta Gold Card to be able to claim the mileage and be home free? I need to get some DL miles to get this SQ award so I may just go ahead and sign up for the card. Thanks.

------------------
Gaucho100K

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 07-16-2002).]
Gaucho...:
I think you can cancel the card after you got the bonus SkyMiles.
But I would keep the card:
1. It's one year free.
2. You get double miles at some grossery stores and gas stations. And until Aug. 15th you get double miles on all purchases.