Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Cancel MR Over Fee Hike?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 1999, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Anyone Cancel MR Over Fee Hike?

I am curious to know if anyone else has ended their participation in Membership Rewards as a result of recent program changes.

It wasn't too smart of Amex to impose a 60% hike, value 20,000 MR points at just $100 cash, and disguise a redeem-your-points-for-nothing ploy as an "essay contest" ... all in the same month. Maybe one of these negatives by itself wouldn't have stirred me to action, but all of them together got my steam whistling.

I called MR customer service to cancel and the service rep's first reaction was to make fun of me. "Oh, come on, it's only $40," she teased. I pointed out that Amex was now asking $95 (Green Card fee + MR fee) for what's basically an affinity card good on no major airlines except Delta. (I don't have much use for the Latinpass carriers, thanks anyway). Her only other halfhearted argument was that MR miles don't expire. (Not a unique selling point.) She volunteered no incentive to stay; maybe MR has indeed grown too big and they're out to trim the ranks? Anyway, I dumped my current 65k MR points over to OnePass and dropped out. As a final, telling barometer of Amex "customer focus," I requested the name of an MR executive to whom I could write explaining my action, and the rep flatly refused to provide one. "We're not supplied with that information," she intoned. I could write to "General Correspondence," or not at all. Gee, thanks for sharing & caring.

It seems to me the hikes and changes may be designed to drive out all but the highest-volume MR users... who, ironically, probably won't need to redeem 20,000 points for a scant $100 in Amex account credit, or be interested in trading 5,000 points for a little basket of Caswell & Massey soap.

It all has me rethinking the overall value of Amex -- and I've held the Green Card since '81. Anyone else?
Old Jul 9, 1999, 12:15 pm

I came to the same conclusion. After having an AMEX card since '88, it's no longer worth the value of the annual fee.

Besides MR being too expensive based on my purchase level, nearly all the card's value-added services can be found with Visa Gold.

I'm cashing out this weekend, then cancelling when the fee comes due. I'll post if I am offered an incentive to not cancel.
Old Jul 9, 1999, 1:24 pm

I just cancelled my MR two weeks ago. I've
had my Diners Club for two years now, and
it beats the hell out of Diners Club. Let
me know if you're interested and I can refer
you.
Old Jul 9, 1999, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I have two months to go on my current membership. I would say that I am about 60% sure that I will not renew the card. $150 for the Amex Gold Reward is way too much. However, if they make me an offer i cant...
Old Jul 9, 1999, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I ran the numbers (look at the Rewards+Gold vs. Starwood thread) and believe that the Rewards+Gold card is not worth it, even before the hike to $150. If AMEX continues to offer promotions like the one with DL in April (50K redeemed yields 65K miles) and the current promotion with Starwood (1000 MR points for each stay up to 5 stays), then the $150 could possibly be justified. I just don't know if these promos are likely to continue and won't chance $150 that they will (and even if they did, the Starwood promo includes ALL AMEX cards so I could still get access to this promo). Coupled with the recent web site/MR transfer fee fiasco that STILL hasn't been properly addressed by AMEX, I'm inclined to drop the card soon.
Old Jul 9, 1999, 2:06 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Ummm, I understand your concern about the raise in annual fees, but I don't know how you can complain about the addition of an award that was not available before, regardless of how poor a value you think it is.

As for the contest, you know what, you have the choice not to enter!

For me, it's like the lottery, I'll spend 2,000 points for the chance to win 1,000,000 ... the odds might be better than I thought if everyone else seems to think it's a scam!
Old Jul 9, 1999, 3:40 pm

I plan to cancel my AIX Rewards Plus card when the renewal fee comes up. There are just too many better alternatives such as AIX Starwood card. The feature that I will miss the most is to earn points from using my AIX Corporate Card. However,$150 annual fee + $10 for the corporate card is just too steep.
Old Jul 9, 1999, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I canceled my AMEX Gold and therefore my Mileage Rewards participation about six weeks ago. The annual fee plus MR fee was just too excessive for the rewards they provided too me. I also picked up Diner's Club almost a year ago and their customer service people and the benefits are great. Much friendlier and more helpful and no "Press 1 for, press 2 for," maze.

I wanted to stay with Amex - lot of years and a lot of vendors who accept (especially in the US). But the cost just got too high!

Larry
Old Aug 5, 1999, 9:39 am

I cut up my card a couple weeks ago as I'll no longer use it. I waited until my last payment posted, and transfered the miles out.

I called this morning and told a rep I wanted to cancel. I was transfered to a "membership consultant". I told her I wanted to cancel. She asked for the four digits that appeared above the embossed numbers. I explained that those numbers are in a landfill. She told me that I cannot cancel my account without them, unless I wanted to write them a letter.

I politely hung up with the Membership Consultant, called back, and reported the card as lost.

Now AMEX will have to shell out $10 to overnight me a new card so I have one that I can use to cancel.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 08-05-1999).]
Old Aug 5, 1999, 9:50 am
Original Member

Ontheroad just defined "Customer Service".
Old Aug 5, 1999, 4:34 pm

Programs: US Chairman, SPG PLAT, National Elite Exec
I have been planning to for weeks now based on the fee hike, the "$ for transfers" issue, and the starwood card's free version of most of the benifits.

Now that the time is comming I am hesitant. I just checked my unbilled balance and my annual fee has posted, but it is only $125 for Gold Rewards Plus account not the $150 they announced a few months ago. I can only guess that is must have posted just under the 90 day window for notice of account changes.

I will probobly cancel anyway, this just complicates things. Up till now the rate hike was my justification. Now I am left with the uncertanty of my miles value and the value of a free affinity card in the Starwood.

------------------

Old Aug 5, 1999, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've pretty much decided to cancel Amex completely -- and the Skymiles Optima Gold -- and replace the two of 'em with one Diners Card.

As an addendum to my lead post, my current Green Card statement arrived last week. Turns out that for me, at least, my Membership Rewards annual renewal fee was $25, not $40. I must've just slipped under the wire. But the customer "service" person I spoke with -- to whom I was complaining about the hike to $40 -- never informed me I was really a $25 guy for one more year. She just reversed the $25 charge.

Oh, and another thing. I asked her to dump my entire MR balance, about 66k, over to OnePass. Surprise: only 60,000 showed up. The balance got lost in the ozone somewhere. I expect they have some tiny-type bylaw about 10,000 increments or something.

Bottom line is, I wish I could turn the clock back six weeks, have another year of MR at $25 AND my ozone-bound miles back. But every new irritant about Amex seems worse than the last: the "service," the skimmed miles, the fees, and the general sneakiness of the operation... I'm starting to feel like I need my attorney listening on the extension whenever I call 'em.

When I get back from Europe in a couple of weeks I believe I'm ridding myself of the whole Amex albatross. If it weren't for sentimentality about my "first card," I'd probably have done it years ago anyhow.

Checking the Diner's Club board to see if anyone wants to refer me...
Old Aug 5, 1999, 5:48 pm

I know what you mean by sentimentality, Bear. I've been with AMEX since 1969, and I agree with all of you. I'm planning to cancel, but need tips on how to do it correctly, if that makes sense. Little help?

Yo, AMEX, are you listening???

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 08-05-1999).]
Old Aug 5, 1999, 8:15 pm

Guys check out the Diners Club Forum. Lots
of people to welcome you and refer you there.

Cheers

BTW I am on a crusade to get as many people
to defect from AMEX. A vow I took after my
last (and final) customer service call with
AMEX.
Old Aug 5, 1999, 10:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Yes, I will be dumping my AMEX Rewards+Gold card in the next two weeks. I have already moved most of my 150K+ miles out of MR and have been beating up on AMEX to get them to post some missing miles.

I still don't understand people's affection for Diners. It is accepted at fewer places than AMEX, costs $80/year, and only offers 1 mile per $. Yes you get a nice sign-on bonus but I don't see how it stacks up to the Starwood AMEX card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.