Using Amex to fund Amex AAA Prepaid cards

Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:09 am
A2B
Original Poster

Using Amex to fund Amex AAA Prepaid cards

I never paid much attention but my AAA membership card is actually an Amex prepaid card. It can be filled using bank, direct deposit or any other Amex card. There are no fees associated with using your Amex to top up the prepaid card.

Does anyone know if this spending to top off the prepaid card will earn points on the standard Amex and more importantly count towards min spend requirements?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:17 pm

Are you sure that funding the Prepaid card with your regular Amex card is not deemed a cash advance?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:05 pm
A2B
Original Poster

Says explicitly it does not.

You can use your American Express charge or credit Card to load funds to your Prepaid Card without incurring cash advance fees. To do so, please have your American Express charge or credit Card available and load funds online. Set up online access at americanexpress.com/aaasne and then log in to your account. Select “Load Funds” from the menu and follow the instructions for the American Express Card funding source option.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:18 pm

Hmm - and no foreign transaction fees!

I don't see why not. Why don't you try it and let us know.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Never heard of AAA membership card functioning as anything other than a membership card. How did you obtain a membership card that is also a prepaid card?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:18 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Never heard of AAA membership card functioning as anything other than a membership card. How did you obtain a membership card that is also a prepaid card?
Information at the URL mentioned in post 3:

https://www.americanexpress.com/aaasne
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
From the FAQ:

The American Express for AAA Prepaid Card is currently available only in the AAA Southern New England territory, though the Prepaid Card may be used anywhere American Express is accepted for payment.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by A2B
Says explicitly it does not.

You can use your American Express charge or credit Card to load funds to your Prepaid Card without incurring cash advance fees. To do so, please have your American Express charge or credit Card available and load funds online. Set up online access at americanexpress.com/aaasne and then log in to your account. Select Load Funds from the menu and follow the instructions for the American Express Card funding source option.
Nice. Is that a special rule for the AAA version of the Amex Prepaid or is that for any Amex Prepaid card?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:12 am
A2B
Original Poster

Not sure. It's a AAA Plus membership card. Front of it has my AAA # and noticed on the back below the strip reader it has an Amex Card # with an exp date. Will try loading it up and seeing what happens.

If it works, it will be a quick way to get my 5K min spend down on the Delta Amex Gold Card 70K offer.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:28 pm

Where does one find an ATM in the Boston area to do the free $400 monthly withdrawal? It seem even credit union ATMs charge fees.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:50 am

I took the plunge, activated it, and loaded with $205 from my AMEX SPG card. I would have done more but I wanted to be sure it would earn s-points. A few things I noticed in the T&C's:

-- If you load it before 1/31/2013 with at least $200, they'll send you a $25 AMEX GC.
-- Max load $2500 month (10K w/ DD).
-- Initial load $25 -- $2500.
-- No load/reload fee.
-- No monthly fee.
-- Once activated get PIN online.
-- First ATM w/d per month free, others $2 (plus fees charged by ATM owner).
-- Max ATM w/d $400.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:38 pm

I wonder if this is processed as a credit transaction, or as a "fee waved" cash advance . . .
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:24 pm

Update on how your SPG Load was Handled?

Can we get a data point from someone who loaded their card with an AMEX? Did you get points for the transaction? Did you load online or in person as milepoint mentioned that you could get a AAA rep in the office to load as a charge rather than an advance.

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Splish Splash Splash
Can we get a data point from someone who loaded their card with an AMEX? Did you get points for the transaction? Did you load online or in person as milepoint mentioned that you could get a AAA rep in the office to load as a charge rather than an advance.

Thanks
Just tried this card with SPG Amex. The reload didn't incurred cash advance fee. But an email to SPG confirmed that the reload won't count toward spending limit and also won't accumulate points. Too bad. But will get $25 bonus giftcard.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:09 pm

Has anyone tried reloading this card with an amex gift card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.