Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Didn't know US Amex Platinum has roadside assistance. Is it standard included benefit, or an optional paid benefit?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by scubadu
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat

Do they enforce the 50 miles from home part?

What 50 miles from home part? I've used it two miles from home. Can you point to a reference?

Regards
They used to have a 50-mile from home requirement (or some other distance). Now Amex provides roadside assistance anywhere and have updated their terms to reflect this.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Anyone used their Plat RA for someone else's car? My reading of the T&C's just says that the cardholder has to be with the car.

My mom's car broke down at the grocery store this morning. We'll have to go back to get her car this evening or tomorrow, and she doesn't have AAA or tow coverage through her insurance, so if I can help mitigate the cost, I'd like to.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
+1

I've called in to roadside assistance for someone else's car. You'll need to call, because they ask you for your card #, etc. But once the vendor arrives, they don't ask for the card, just a signature on the paperwork.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Anyone used their Plat RA for someone else's car? My reading of the T&C's just says that the cardholder has to be with the car.

My mom's car broke down at the grocery store this morning. We'll have to go back to get her car this evening or tomorrow, and she doesn't have AAA or tow coverage through her insurance, so if I can help mitigate the cost, I'd like to.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by gooselee

I used it to tow a buddy's truck that I was riding in. No questions asked, it was covered.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:13 pm

Is this US-only benefit? Not included with Canadian Amex Plat?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
I've called in to roadside assistance for someone else's car. You'll need to call, because they ask you for your card #, etc. But once the vendor arrives, they don't ask for the card, just a signature on the paperwork.
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
I used it to tow a buddy's truck that I was riding in. No questions asked, it was covered.
Thanks guys. Got it taken care of this afternoon - easy call, 45 min wait. Hardest part was enduring the death stares from the lady who got blocked in by the tow truck while he was loading us up.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:26 pm

Just used RA today. Had to get a car towed to the dealership about 10 miles away (took 1 hour for the tow truck to get to me). All free! Thanks, @Amex!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold
used it a couple of months ago... very good service... free tow approx. 7 miles away...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:57 pm

I used the service in Dorado, Puerto Rico about 3 weeks ago.

Dorado is about 30 minutes away from San Juan.

The response was fast.......about a 25 minute wait.

I am a big PLT AMEX fan coming up on my one year renewal.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for Info

I recently received an offer for AAA at $10 off and 500 United Miles. After reading the posts here, I see that Amex Plat card's RA is sufficient for me. Thanks for all your inputs as I would have been wasting my money.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:24 am

I recently used it for a dead battery and the service was prompt and very helpful. really happy with the service.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Robl
I don't think anyone has commented on the free roadside assistance with the card. The phone number for assistance is 800-333-2639. All AU with the card also get the free roadside assistance.
Good to point this out - also note that its the "premium" roadside, vs. regular roadside:

Premium: https://web.aexp-static.com/us/conte...stance-TCs.pdf
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
Good to point this out - also note that its the "premium" roadside, vs. regular roadside:

Premium: https://web.aexp-static.com/us/conte...stance-TCs.pdf
True but here "Premium" is the same as regular AAA: 4 episodes a year and free towing up to 10 miles.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Robl
True but here "Premium" is the same as regular AAA: 4 episodes a year and free towing up to 10 miles.
That is, AAA regular. AAA Plus and AAA Premier offer more frequency and a farther tow, along with other increased perks.

Last edited by Ritz; Dec 9, 2014 at 10:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.