Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 11, 12, 5:17 pm   #16

Programs: MileagePlus, Aadvantage, SkyMiles
Amex platinum refund SUCCESS -

Hi,

I applied for and received the Amex Platinum card last October - $450 annual fee paid. Purchased $200 in airline gift cards. Waited til January and bought $200 more. Signed up for Global Entry - $100. SPG Gold as well as Hertz Gold and PremierPass Select which I definitely utilized for 3 months.

Cancelled in January. Received a prorated $300 refund.

All in all, Amex paid me at least $250 to try their card for 3 months -more if you count the value of the other programs.

I wouldn't recommend this as a rule, but not bad for a churner.
BerkeleyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:04 pm   #17

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Choice Plat & Hilton+SPG Gold, UA, BA...Etc
Yes.

I just cancelled my Plat AMEX personal and got $262.50 back.

Foo.
Old Aug 11, 12, 9:22 pm   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofiter View Post
Yes.

I just cancelled my Plat AMEX personal and got $262.50 back.

Foo.

When was your annual fee charged?

I think mine is about to be charged in August but I need it for traveling in late August to September for the Priority Pass and SPG gold . Thinking about canceling when I get back.
metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 12, 9:58 pm   #19

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Choice Plat & Hilton+SPG Gold, UA, BA...Etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo View Post
When was your annual fee charged?

I think mine is about to be charged in August but I need it for traveling in late August to September for the Priority Pass and SPG gold . Thinking about canceling when I get back.
End of March.
Old Aug 24, 12, 10:03 am   #20

If one cancels the platinum card does one need a gold/green card to keep the membership rewards points? Or can one downgrade the plat card and keep the points and still get a pro-rated fee refund?
nlcbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 12, 10:08 am   #21
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlcbdw View Post
If one cancels the platinum card does one need a gold/green card to keep the membership rewards points?
Short answer: you must hold at least one Membership Rewards card to have a Membership Rewards account. If you close your only card account the points vanish.

Nuanced answers:

MR earning cards with no annual fee?
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 12, 9:49 am   #22

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, DL Gold
I recently closed a Corporate Platinum. Despite being promised before closing that I would receive the prorated amount of my annual fee back to me as a credit or check, when I called recently to inquire after the card was closed, the agent (AND SUPERVISOR) explicitly stated that I was very misinformed, and I would receive no credit. What gives!?
ntwrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 12, 10:04 am   #23
mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy View Post
What gives!?
Corporate card rules are often different. Have you asked your corporate card administrator?
Old Apr 4, 13, 4:07 pm   #24

Annual fee just billed; too late to transfer points and cancel card?

I fell asleep at the wheel and just woke up to find my Amex bill in the mail, along with the dreaded annual fee. Can I transfer my points into airline miles and then call them the next day to cancel my card? Will they waive the fee and cancel the card, if the points have just been transferred out?
golmaale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 13, 9:43 am   #25
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Two different actions (and completely unrelated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golmaale View Post
I fell asleep at the wheel and just woke up to find my Amex bill in the mail, along with the dreaded annual fee. Can I transfer my points into airline miles and then call them the next day to cancel my card? Will they waive the fee and cancel the card, if the points have just been transferred out?
There are two different transactions:
1.) Naturally you can send a part or all of your MR reward points to an airline partner/hotel partner or pile up a lot of merchandising.

2.) Cancelling the card afterwards wouldn't get you the complete yearly fee back. I think itīs a pro rata calculation of the remaining months / 12 months.

My personal advice:
Some airlines have expiration dates if you are not en elite member or have a transaction within three years or so (like BA). So IMHO I would never *cancel all* Amex cards.

Many of the regular FTers know that I am a great fan of Amex. So my personal step towards this issue would be:

If you donīt want to have an expensive colour of that card (e.g. gold or platinum) just go one step back and apply for a new "green" Amex and then cancel your existing cards.

So you wouldn't set yourself under time-pressure to send the MR rewards points anywhere. And maybe you explore that airline B is better for rewards to destination C.

In that case holding any of the Amex cards with fully "sendable" MR points to airline/hotel programmes will do the trick. But thatīs my personal approach only.

Naturally you are free to send the points to anywhere, check if they have arrived in due state and then cancel the card.
gum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 13, 1:56 pm   #26

30 day grace period for cancellation without penalty; after that, it's prorated.
localtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 13, 6:33 pm   #27

Just another data point: my Platinum annual fee was billed in March and is due to be automatically debited in late April. I just converted the account to a $95/yr Green card so as to keep an account open with AMEX and also retain my MR points. I would have thought that they could remove the $450 and replace it with $95 instead for the auto payment, but when I called, they said they can't change it, that $450 would be debited and then I would eventually get $355 back in 6-8 weeks.

There was another thread that talked about AMEX customer service going downhill, I agree.

- I was clearly talking to someone in the Philippines when I called. Never had that happen before. I felt like I was calling UA.

- There is now no way to login and contact AMEX by email on their website. I'm using Firefox. You click contact us and get redirected to some ads about AMEX Mobile.

- For the past 6+ months, when I had the Platinum, I was never able to transfer points to any airline or hotel online. Always got an error message. Called twice. "We'll forward it to someone who can look into it."

AMEX is no longer differentiating itself from the crowd. They feel old and stodgy, apparently resting on their laurels. Thank God there's Chase Sapphire Preferred! Chase gets virtually all my business now.
tpmgpeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 13, 8:09 am   #28
mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmgpeds View Post
- There is now no way to login and contact AMEX by email on their website. I'm using Firefox. You click contact us and get redirected to some ads...
After you login, click the envelope icon located just to the left of the search box in the upper right portion of the screen.
Old Apr 15, 13, 12:39 pm   #29

Any idea how soon the prorated fees show back up, and where?

I have two cards that I've cancelled months ago, and no fee refunds have posted still.
josephstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 13, 5:41 pm   #30

Will fees for a supplemental Amex Plat card be prorated too? or does prorating fees only apply to the primary card?
TraveltheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote