AMEX UK - travel deals inc 3 free nights no min stay

Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
AMEX UK - travel deals inc 3 free nights no min stay

Recently received a brochure through the mail detailing a few offers, including 3 nights free in a LUX resort, without a minimum stay.
Date: until 30th September 2012
Venues: LUX Belle Mare, Mauritius
LUX Le Morne, Mauritius
LUX Grand Gaube, Mauritius
LUX Maldives
LUX Ile de la Reunion
3 complimentary nights B&B, no minimum stay

A good offer if you can get there at a reasonable price. The properties aren't fantastic, but who can complain when it's 3 free nights worth around £800.

Other good offers:
- 2 nights for price of 1 in suites in Pera Palace Jumeriah hotel in Istanbul including breakfast and upgrade (if available), from £567 for 2 nights in an Ernest Hemingway Suite.
- $500 resort credit in ARIA resort, Las Vegas (no minimum stay, can be used for room)
- 2 nights for price of 1 at South Lodge, Sussex (from £195) plus room upgrade if available, breakfast, late checkout and a complimentary cellar experience with £20 credit.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:00 am

This was in the Platinum brochure no?

I would be interested in availability for the LUX offer. Flights will be around £800-1000 direct and it's a long way to go for 3 nights (Maldives around 11hrs and Mauritius around 12 hrs).

The Aria hotel is a good offer. Vegas hotels are really cheap to stay in (until you start eating/drinking...) and most are very high quality.

I am dubious of some of the other offers, as I am of a fair few offers AMEX have sent out recently. The Pera Palace (part of FHR?) can be booked cheaper directly on the hotel's website, but without the upgrade - which isn't guaranteed anyway.

As a rule of thumb, I've found the FHR rates in the US seem to be the same, if not lower, than the booking directly with the hotel (less the FHR benefits). In Europe, they tend to be more expensive than the hotel best rates, so you have to factor in whether the value of the additional benefits if booking through AMEX.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by MoneyBagger
This was in the Platinum brochure no?

I would be interested in availability for the LUX offer. Flights will be around £800-1000 direct and it's a long way to go for 3 nights (Maldives around 11hrs and Mauritius around 12 hrs).

The Aria hotel is a good offer. Vegas hotels are really cheap to stay in (until you start eating/drinking...) and most are very high quality.

I am dubious of some of the other offers, as I am of a fair few offers AMEX have sent out recently. The Pera Palace (part of FHR?) can be booked cheaper directly on the hotel's website, but without the upgrade - which isn't guaranteed anyway.

As a rule of thumb, I've found the FHR rates in the US seem to be the same, if not lower, than the booking directly with the hotel (less the FHR benefits). In Europe, they tend to be more expensive than the hotel best rates, so you have to factor in whether the value of the additional benefits if booking through AMEX.
I was told that AMEX are guaranteed the lowest rate, so if you find a lower rate than FHR they should be able to match it.

I found availability on the dates I was interested in for Lux offer, although decided not to use it.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by price123
I was told that AMEX are guaranteed the lowest rate, so if you find a lower rate than FHR they should be able to match it.
The only ever times they have matched direct hotel rates for me is in NYC/Vegas.

I would imagine that is probably because of the volume of business they do with the hotels there. Certainly in Vegas, their FHR rates are generally lower than anything else you can normally find.

Given the FHR benefits and their value, most rates outside the U.S. do tend to be more expensive than booking directly with the hotel. You can ask about matching, but they can never guarantee they are the best rate. I have found that particularly in Europe, some rates are €50-75 more per night than the best available rate. It's a question of whether the possible room upgrade/breakfast/spa or dinner voucher/late checkout are worth the extra.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoneyBagger
The only ever times they have matched direct hotel rates for me is in NYC/Vegas.

I would imagine that is probably because of the volume of business they do with the hotels there. Certainly in Vegas, their FHR rates are generally lower than anything else you can normally find.

Given the FHR benefits and their value, most rates outside the U.S. do tend to be more expensive than booking directly with the hotel. You can ask about matching, but they can never guarantee they are the best rate. I have found that particularly in Europe, some rates are €50-75 more per night than the best available rate. It's a question of whether the possible room upgrade/breakfast/spa or dinner voucher/late checkout are worth the extra.
I agree with what you say, but I spoke to a travel manager there a few weeks ago and was told they should be able to match rates you find online.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:10 pm

I think it comes down to how much business AMEX does with that hotel and how much pulling power they have.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:53 pm

They don't match rates. Amex travel is £80 plus free dinner cheaper than fhr for hotel I am looking at and hotel direct is £80 cheaper. fhr offer is 100 usd spa- so not worth it. They tried to argue but you should get an upgrade- I pointed out that in last 6 stay I had had one upgrade- 1 downgrade! And 4 as booked.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rate matching CAN happen, but most amex agents arent great, especially when talking to hotel

if these things are common, might have to get UK plat in future

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.