Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Frustrating (non-)upgrade experiences with FHR (Fine Hotels and Resorts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Do most here book online for FHR?

Here in Canada, you have to book by phone, and I have had disappointing results with the reservation process each time, to the point of avoiding calling at all anymore.

If you could book online I would consider trying again, but I get stressed out just thinking about the aggravation of calling them.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drwilliams

Here in Canada, you have to book by phone, and I have had disappointing results with the reservation process each time, to the point of avoiding calling at all anymore.

If you could book online I would consider trying again, but I get stressed out just thinking about the aggravation of calling them.
Here in the UK we have to book via phone to Amex too (no online booking facility) but in general I've found most of the agents fairly good about knowing what can/can't be upgraded. For example I stayed at the Four Seasons Carmelo, Uruguay last year in a bi-level suite. They told me at the time of booking that it wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade, but they did manage to negotiate with the hotel for me around the welcome gift offered (2x dinner). Similarly for a stay at the Palais De La Mediterranee in Nice, France they were quite clear which rates were available that would have upgrade potential. However in this case the hotel themselves were offering a rate with stay credit that was in the upgraded category of room at a lower cost so I booked that instead (actually via Expedia with some bonus cashback ). However I can really sympathise with the OP and others when they specifically ask the question of Amex when booking then get a different approach from front desk staff when checking in.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by drwilliams

I have amex plat US, and i booked online. So far i've scored 3/3 for UG.
But i did have minor problem when trying to amend upcoming trip via phone (adding hotel loyalty# to reservation).
They somehow accidentally changed the rate. But it's sorted real quick after another phone (and sending old confirmation with original rate).
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Paying Hotel More to Guarantee Upgrade Against Program Rules?

I remember calling the hotel (hotel not named to protect their identity as it is one of my favourite hotels) after I made a reservation at the FHR rate with Platinum PTS.

The in-house reservations manager was able to to "guarantee" my upgrade to the next category (instead of having it on a "space available basis") after I negotiated with them a rate that is in between the FHR rate of my original category and the next category. In this case, the price differential between the categories was quite significant.

Eg. Standard Suite FHR $900
Deluxe Suite FHR $1800
My negotiated rate for "guaranteed upgrade" to Deluxe Suite: $1350

Is this against FHR program rules? or is it actually possible to "negotiate" with the hotel directly after the FHR reservation is made (like I have done)?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:32 pm

This is becoming more common because more programs outside of FHR are offering upgrades on arrival. Hotels are becoming smarter so they will limit the rooms that will upgrade.

Make sure you talk to a PTS consultant and have them CALL the hotel to find out which categories will upgrade.

FHR upgrades the majority of the time. I've had better experience with them than other programs.

Another good thing about FHR is that you can book the lower rate ( in case they are not giving out upgrades), then when you get to the hotel know the category that upgrades and ask to go to the category that will upgrade.

I used Visa Signature (joke - Kiwi) three weeks ago and it was a cluster. FHR a week later had no issues. With FHR I knew that regular rooms did not upgrade to suites, but suites upgraded to villas. If you know this...you won't be surprised.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended

bait and switchy, Centurion + FHR + Orient Express

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about FHR/Centurion.

Orient Express advertises a free upgrade at time of booking for Centurion, for FHR it's at arrival time. Breakfasts, a dinner for two if you stay more than 3 days, 4pm late checkout, etc.

Checking the price of Napasai in Thailand online gives a rack rate of 18,300 baht for a higher end suite.

FHR's price for the same suite is 18,300. Problem #1, the hotel doesn't allow you to upgrade on arrival, picking and choosing from the FHR amenities, if you were not paranoid like me you would be denied this amenity on arrival and surprised.

So the FHR price bundles in continental breakfasts and a 4pm checkout.

This same package is available on their website for 19,100 baht, an incremental charge of about $25.00, plus gives the dinner for two (which will beat the $25/day charge) and an airport transfer (so now you're ahead of FHR in value for a four day stay since if you bought a two way transfer it would cost you at least $100).

Centurion's package with the free upgrade... well the price is still 18,300 baht for this room, including the free upgrade. So what they've done is jacked up the price before the upgrade, then given you the upgrade "for free".

It doesn't include the airport transfer. Given what five star hotels charge for this, you are looking at saving $25/day over the package above, but losing the transfer, so you will kind of break even.

In the end, Orient Express, and Amex FHR have advertised:

1. free breakfasts
2. 4pm checkout
3. free upgrade at time of booking
4. massage for two
5. free dinner

All as part of the Centurion Hotel Program.

What they have delivered is something that anyone can book right off of the website and receive the identical value, or even better value.

So what is the point exactly of offering all of these things "for free" while jacking up the price of the base package before adding in amenities "for free?"

It would seem to be to deceive the customer into thinking that value is being provided, when in effect, none at all is being provided. It's meant to attract business at no cost from people holding Amex cards, i.e. a demographic that's considered to be affluent (and I guess, stupid).

The more that Amex allows hotels to play this bait and switch game, the more FHR is devalued, the more the Amex and Centurion brands are devalued.

Hotels should not be allowed to pick and choose which amenities they support in this program. The program says upgrade if available, hotel should not get to define the meaning of the word "available" (i.e. available if we say it is, if we say it isn't then it isn't). Hotels should not be allowed to jack up the base price of a package before adding on "free amenities".

It's like saying your plane ticket is free but you have to pay $900 for a scammy "fuel surcharge" and $100 for a scammy "bag fee" ... oh wait... dammit.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

tyberius's post has been combined with a similar recent discussion about FHR upgrades.

Originally Posted by tyberius
The program says upgrade if available, hotel should not get to define the meaning of the word "available" (i.e. available if we say it is, if we say it isn't then it isn't).
To be sure I understand correctly, your complaint is essentially that an upgrade was not available? How would you propose that FHR could make this benefit more transparent?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mia
To be sure I understand correctly, your complaint is essentially that an upgrade was not available? How would you propose that FHR could make this benefit more transparent?
My impression was more that tyberius was saying that FHR offer the potential for upgrade at check-in but in many cases you could book that upgraded category of room, often with additional benefits by going direct to the property - ie. that they're offering a benefit that really doesn't provide any saving. IME this varies by property and sadly means (if you want decent value for money) that you have to check things out yourself too. I've had a case where the FHR rate was identical to the hotel's direct cost but with a definite dinner for two and possibility of upgrade, however in another case I was able to buy a room direct from the hotel in the category FHR would have (potentially) upgraded me to, along with F&B credit for substantially less than FHR were offering.

Summary - FHR has some potential benefit but is very much a case of buyer-beware - if you want to make sure you're getting a good deal you need to do some legwork yourself and can't rely on Amex.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres

With the number of hotels around the world, there have been plenty of real deals versus so so deals. Trips to China, Europe and Latin America have been much better for me personally in terms of upgrades and a real value proposition than the US (Vegas being the exception).
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
My impression was more that tyberius was saying that FHR offer the potential for upgrade at check-in but in many cases you could book that upgraded category of room, often with additional benefits by going direct to the property - ie. that they're offering a benefit that really doesn't provide any saving. IME this varies by property and sadly means (if you want decent value for money) that you have to check things out yourself too. I've had a case where the FHR rate was identical to the hotel's direct cost but with a definite dinner for two and possibility of upgrade, however in another case I was able to buy a room direct from the hotel in the category FHR would have (potentially) upgraded me to, along with F&B credit for substantially less than FHR were offering.

Summary - FHR has some potential benefit but is very much a case of buyer-beware - if you want to make sure you're getting a good deal you need to do some legwork yourself and can't rely on Amex.
Completely agree. My rule is that if FHR is more money, I need to see the quantifiable difference coming back to me. (e.g. if they are $100 more, than I better be getting $100 of benefit out of the free breakfast and the "gift").

The upgrade in my book is worthless because most of the time you can't even tell if you got an upgrade.

I ask and they say yes - we upgraded you. Best example is at a Ritz/Four Seasons where you cannot really tell the difference between a Superior or a Deluxe room...so sure - you got an upgrade

Last edited by FlyAO2; Aug 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by tyberius
In the end, Orient Express, and Amex FHR have advertised:

1. free breakfasts
2. 4pm checkout
3. free upgrade at time of booking
4. massage for two
5. free dinner

All as part of the Centurion Hotel Program.

What they have delivered is something that anyone can book right off of the website and receive the identical value, or even better value.

So what is the point exactly of offering all of these things "for free" while jacking up the price of the base package before adding in amenities "for free?"
Thanks for that post. I do the same thing when I examine benefits vs. rates directly from the hotel website. Sometimes you come out ahead, sometimes you don't. Frustrating that you can't just "trust" the FHR to come out ahead (even if that includes "room upgrades upon availability," which seem to be a puzzle of their own.)

That being said, in general, I come out ahead, which is good. But there are times I definitely agree with OP about the frustration of the "upgrade-is-available-but-your-room-don't-qualify-but-we-can-upgrade-you-for-$350" experience. Was a thread ever started per suggestion about "FHR non-upgrade experiences?"

The London West Hollywood was my most recent (2013) non-upgrade experience. Overall a generally nice hotel but I booked a relatively high room level with the specific intention nay hope of upgrading to the room I wanted (week night, late check-in, very slow time, room was available to book on website, etc.). Upon check-in, they said "my room doesn't upgrade" but I could pay a few hundred for the upgrade (meaning room was available). I was staying for less than 24 hours so declined. Made use of the other FHR amenities, but did look elsewhere for lunch, etc. because of the disconcerting upgrade experience.

To summarize:
-- breakfast is included at the hotel for all guests, so FHR benefit is somewhat negated there... perhaps they should add in something at places like these?
^ $100 food/bev credit - used and well handled at check-out
room upgrade denied but available and offered for a fee

Bottom line... really should have booked cheaper rooms.

I'd still like to say that UGs through FHR have been generally positive, just wishing it would be less hit-or-miss without having to call in, have the rep call the hotel, check which room is which and what will or will not UG, etc.

Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Originally Posted by phill6
Didn't know of this website till now. Sounds interesting...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyer
This is what I'm saying - the PTS did not specify any restrictions in the ability to upgrade (and in fact indicated in the notes to the hotel that I'm a plat customer so please UG) and the written reservation did not indicate any restrictions. Upon arrival, the hotel claimed a restriction prevented ability to UG.

The hotel is apparently looking into the matter, and took steps to make up for the mix-up, so I'm satisfied for the moment (though still bummed about the frustration at check-in). I'm bothered that this keeps happening and wonder what is the source of the repeated mix-ups.

On a previous stay with a different hotel, I asked the PTS agent to confirm with the hotel that the UG was possible from the room category I booked, and they did so by calling the hotel. Yet up on arrival the same thing happened - check-in agent and the front desk manager denied an UG even though space was available, claiming the reservation was not eligible for an UG.

Irritating.
I think what may have been happening is that the front desk is mixing the FHR upgrades available to Amex Platinum cardholders with regular upgrades available to their chain platinum members.

Hotel front desk is much more familiar with their own chain rules, and elite levels and benefits and such, than the FHR program. For example, if you are a platinum member with that hotel chain, you will be eligible for upgrade, but only when you book a eligible rate. An eligible rate is when you book with the chain/hotel directly, not with third parties, like expedia, booking.com, or Amex PTS for this matter.

That's why they think you are not eligible for upgrade, because you booked through a "third party". They probably have no idea about the FHR program which their hotel signed with Amex PTS.

Last edited by roubaolic; Jul 13, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:06 am

Use Amex fhr a fir bit and it used to be a real benefit but these days few upgrades and most amenities moved to 100USD spa credit where that only covers part of a treatment.

Got 3 at end of July- early August and 1 in August

Fs Philadelphia- 3 nights booked twin room for children. We have non fhr in a suite.

Fs Baltimore. 2 rooms each for 4 room

London NYC- 2 rooms each for 5 nights (got great upgrades there last time so fingers crossed).

Have been dropped by 4s Hampshire- so uk offering outside London is dire.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jul 14, 2013 at 3:18 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xray
In his post, Nicksta says none of the FHR stays have been upgraded.

I actually choose my room category based on the likelihood of upgrade. If it seems likely, I'll book one category down from the room I really want. If it's a busy time or there's a special event, I'll just book the room I want. It's worked for me for the past 10 years that I've been booking FHR stays (knock on wood)...
I've always done this to some extent. I always ask what room category my reservation would upgrade into (if available) and check that this is allowed--i.e., that it doesn't upgrade beyond the maximum category allowable as a FHR upgrade. Some hotels do view and non view or ordinary and executive/club/towers rooms as two separate pecking orders, so that you cannot upgrade from one to the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.