Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by mia
You must pay with a card which is enrolled in Membership Rewards. See post 3 in this thread from 2009:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-question.html
Originally Posted by josephstern
Not what I wanted to hear, of course, but thanks for the confirmation.
While that is what is stated in T&C, as with all things AmEx, it doesn't necessarily hold up in practice. I made a purchase a little before the Earn site went down from a retailer offering 4x points (so this is 1x for the spend on the MR-enrolled card and 3x bonus). I did NOT use an Amex card, yet my MR account was credited for the 3x bonus. So, YMMV.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express practice frequently deviates from policy, but if the points did not post automatically the policy determines whether customer service will post manually. Pretty much the same as Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:13 am

American Express Bonus Points Mall / Earn MR Program

This is quite sad that Amex no longer offers the Bonus Points Mall. I used this a lot and I guess I'll be using my Chase Sapphire more now. I reached a representative who confirmed it has been taken down but they have not reached a final decision whether or not to bring it back up.

If anyone from Amex is reading this:
Amex Please bring back the Bonus Points Mall!! :-)

https://www.americanexpress.com/earn

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...n/Default.aspx

LOOKING FOR WAYS TO EARN POINTS?
We apologize for your inconvenience. The site is currently unavailable. Here are a few great ways to earn points:
Travel
Book your travel through americanexpress.com/travel and get 2X points for every dollar you spend on the card when you book with us.
Use your Card
You get one (1) point for every dollar you spend on purchases with your Membership Rewards® enrolled card. The more you spend, the more you can earn.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
This is very un AMEX like way of dealing with this. Just take away the portal and hopefully no one will notice it? I sure hope that they are having some issues and trying to fix it but no announcement of any kind is not what I expect from AMEX, who won JD Powers customer satisfaction survey for 5 consecutive years.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by thefunch
Sent a SM and got the "we're trying to fix the issues before bringing it back online" response. Was told there was no point in them continuing to run the portal if it wasn't crediting points correctly. No mention of "under review" or other language inferring that it won't be coming back, at least from this rep. I pointed out in the SM that I've taken my portal business to one of their competitors and I'm not at all happy about the lack of communication, which is making me question the overall value of MR given their handling of this situation. Wasn't looking for or expecting points or compensation, but some up-front honesty (e.g. "sorry, shareholders, we made a bad trade, right now we're on the hook for at least $2b if things don't improve") and proactive notification (a novel idea, maybe I'm in the minority but I tend to check e-mail before the MR site) would be a welcome change, even for a relatively new customer.

I swear, I'm trying really really hard to like Amex...
So, this is the matter of IT problem that causes negative customer reviews on shopping portal? Even though I admit that there is no way to find out how many points you earn by looking at all the pending points and which merchandise they are coming from, it will be a simple fix from the IT/DB department.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
So, this is the matter of IT problem that causes negative customer reviews on shopping portal? Even though I admit that there is no way to find out how many points you earn by looking at all the pending points and which merchandise they are coming from, it will be a simple fix from the IT/DB department.
it's not just that though. from my experience it seemed like everything was just so disorganized.

1 out of 10 bonuses would post correctly. i'd have to call every time, multiple times for each purchase. then after i get an agent, i'd have to educate them that yes, even though the normal promotion was 3x, i received an offer for 6x. to which they'd say that was impossible! and it would go round and round. the worst thing is id even sit there and have them walk through the math with me, if they agreed, which they sometimes refused to do. i am not kidding when i say they literally couldnt do simple addition and multiplication. we'd get to the end and there would just be silence... and then they'd say sorry.

one time i actually got someone who knew something and gave me 10,000 points as a goodwill adjustment because i had to call 8 - yes 8 - times just to get a 6x bonus to post from a purchase at walmart. and then the next purchase i made - for $310 on a netbook from target - didn't post so i called after 8 weeks. the rep told me the 10,000 goodwill adjustment, which is labeled as such in the account summary, was for the target purchase.

this is both from supervisors and reps. just incredible

then i come to use the ultimate rewards portal and low and behold, i receive an email 3after my first purchase letting me know i earned bonus points, it itemizes by vendor in the summary area, and the points post in 3 business days.

its like night and day.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by yoonny
This is very un AMEX like way of dealing with this. Just take away the portal and hopefully no one will notice it? I sure hope that they are having some issues and trying to fix it but no announcement of any kind is not what I expect from AMEX, who won JD Powers customer satisfaction survey for 5 consecutive years.
As of today, the error message is

We're experiencing technical difficulties with the Earn Points page at MembershipRewards.com, and as a result, have disabled it for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to restore the Earn feature as soon as possible.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:38 pm

Also spoke to SPVR today. I was told site is done - they're re-vamping.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:33 pm
Company Representative - Amex

AMEX MR Earn site

Good Afternoon FlyerTalkers,

I just wanted to let you all know that we are experiencing technical difficulties with the Earn Points page at MembershipRewards.com, and as a result, have disabled it for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to restore the Earn feature as soon as possible. Once we have more information, we will update you.

Thanks for your understanding.

Amex Customer Care
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care

I just wanted to let you all know that we are experiencing technical difficulties with the Earn Points page at MembershipRewards.com, and as a result, have disabled it for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to restore the Earn feature as soon as possible. Once we have more information, we will update you.

Amex Customer Care
Yay! I hope this is true.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care

Amex Customer Care
Great. When you get it up and running, it would be lovely if it would return with the feature to see which purchases went through.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by maccoinnich
Great. When you get it up and running, it would be lovely if it would return with the feature to see which purchases went through.
and those pending, with full reconciliation ability, the item or service purchased, the supplier, the date, the $ value and the point value, like the old days
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:25 pm

Amex has really dropped the ball on this one.

I hope the portal does come back but please PLEASE update the site to show which points are pending and posted. It is impossible to figure out if I am getting the correct points when I make so many small (less than $100) purchases.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
let me add to the chorus about the sub-par activity details on the Amex shopping portal.

I spent some time today following up on all my various accounts to make sure miles / points have posted, etc.

Chase UR was a dream. Everything accurate, timely and easy to follow.

I gave up on Amex...could not figure it out.

Also, seems a bit misleading to me when Amex touts "5x" or whatever...they include the 1x for the spend, so it really is an extra 4x.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AMX Biz Plat, DL Reserve
I called amex about this yesterday right before i put a 5k order through on apple.com they said. its down for maint and they are not sure when it will be up, nor will they go back and give credit to people like me that were not able to get credit for a purchase when we should of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.