Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 4, 13, 12:07 am   #241
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MSP
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmitchell View Post
Hotels.com? That's a nice one. Could you check if the hotels.com purchase processed as Internet Purchase or as something else? Perhaps it's evidence that ALL travel is at 3x?

This really stacks up well for a quadruple dip if you add it to the x3 pts Ultimate Rewards, current 10% discount, and hotels.com's own Welcome Rewards program (which I value at 8% cashback equivalent).
I spent 1 hour and finally got the math right. Yes I can confirm that hotels.com is 3x! I use Topcashback (my link:http://www.topcashback.com/ref/guoguo914) to get 7% back plus this rebate plus its own Welcome Rewards.

Alternatively, HotelClub is 14% cashback on topcashback plus coupons plus its own rewards program.

In my recent bookings I found Priceline NYOP can't even beat those stackable deals (combined > 20% off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
Where do you get the 10% discount code?
there are multiple 10% off codes out there but they don't work on chains.
guoguo914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 13, 10:56 am   #242
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
Where do you get the 10% discount code?
As guoguo stated, there are quite a few going around. Most of the time I can http://evreward.com/store/go/3440 (a generally useful site to know about).
karlmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 13, 11:57 am   #243
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MSP
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by guoguo914 View Post
I spent 1 hour and finally got the math right. Yes I can confirm that hotels.com is 3x! I use Topcashback (my link:http://www.topcashback.com/ref/guoguo914) to get 7% back plus this rebate plus its own Welcome Rewards.

Alternatively, HotelClub is 14% cashback on topcashback plus coupons plus its own rewards program.

In my recent bookings I found Priceline NYOP can't even beat those stackable deals (combined > 20% off).

there are multiple 10% off codes out there but they don't work on chains.
hotels.com is offering 8.5% cashback on topcashback!

and from my own experience, using the rebate promo code your stay will still count towards welcome rewards free night.

that's maybe the best deal out there in the market if you don't care about spg, ihg, hh etc points.
guoguo914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 13, 11:07 am   #244
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville, TN - BNA
Programs: Amex PLAT, Hilton DIA, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, WN RR, TSA Disparager Silver
Posts: 1,774
Yesterday I upgraded to Plat and was told I could use Bonus Points Mall. I asked whether they were bringing it back and was told yes... but I kind of wonder whether this particular CSR was up to snuff...
__________________
Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
divemistressofthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 13, 7:22 pm   #245
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 29
PRG when paying Disney trip bonus ?

Greetings. Has anyone used their PRG recently to pay for a Disney trip online? Was wondering if anyone received 3x as some have reported for online purchases (I had a cabela's online order post as 3x recently)?
Thanks
balwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 13, 1:14 am   #246
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
On the "all travel" front I have gotten 3X from Hotwire and Coach USA (for Megabus tickets).
billybayswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 13, 1:28 am   #247
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 164
For those that didn't catch it, the 3x bonuses were recently reported by The Points Guy.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/best...-rewards-gold/

However, on checking my last statement it looks like they're over. Nice while it lasted. Unless something else comes along to replace the shopping portal, I doubt I'll keep the card next year.
karlmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 13, 4:07 am   #248
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Programs: Hyatt Diamond & SPG Plat
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmitchell View Post
For those that didn't catch it, the 3x bonuses were recently reported by The Points Guy.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/best...-rewards-gold/

However, on checking my last statement it looks like they're over. Nice while it lasted. Unless something else comes along to replace the shopping portal, I doubt I'll keep the card next year.
When did your statement close? My Recent statement still had the 3x earning.
__________________
A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles. Tim Cahill
The_Wrath_of_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 13, 6:05 pm   #249
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Programs: Hyatt Diamond & SPG Plat
Posts: 2,238
More info on that statement closing date, because if the 3x is gone I won't be using this card for Amazon Payments in July...
__________________
A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles. Tim Cahill
The_Wrath_of_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 13, 6:27 pm   #250
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA plat, DL silver
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmitchell View Post
For those that didn't catch it, the 3x bonuses were recently reported by The Points Guy.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/best...-rewards-gold/

However, on checking my last statement it looks like they're over. Nice while it lasted. Unless something else comes along to replace the shopping portal, I doubt I'll keep the card next year.
So thanks again TPG?
lakers6902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 13, 4:56 pm   #251
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers6902 View Post
So thanks again TPG?
No. He just missed the boat, rather than sinking it.
karlmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 13, 5:02 pm   #252
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
More info on that statement closing date, because if the 3x is gone I won't be using this card for Amazon Payments in July...
I looked my MR statement relating to spend statement closing May 17th. Only one item out of 3 (a local electricity bill which always registers as Internet Purchase, but not ebags.com or hulu.com) received the 3x bonus, and it was an early purchase (April 28th).

I then checked how many points I earned for the statement closing June 16th (MR points are pending), and compared it with spending in various categories. The previous two months I had been able to estimate the points by assuming that Internet Purchases were at 3x. It appears that I received NO 3x bonuses, despite four purchases (hulu.com, oasisdategarden, amazon prime subscription and an amazon marketplace order) under Internet Purchase. The last of these is in a category that has always received the 3x bonus before.

In summary, I suspect Amex closed the 3x earning bonus around May 1st.
karlmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 13, 5:15 pm   #253
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Programs: Hyatt Diamond & SPG Plat
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmitchell View Post
I looked my MR statement relating to spend statement closing May 17th. Only one item out of 3 (a local electricity bill which always registers as Internet Purchase, but not ebags.com or hulu.com) received the 3x bonus, and it was an early purchase (April 28th).

I then checked how many points I earned for the statement closing June 16th (MR points are pending), and compared it with spending in various categories. The previous two months I had been able to estimate the points by assuming that Internet Purchases were at 3x. It appears that I received NO 3x bonuses, despite four purchases (hulu.com, oasisdategarden, amazon prime subscription and an amazon marketplace order) under Internet Purchase. The last of these is in a category that has always received the 3x bonus before.

In summary, I suspect Amex closed the 3x earning bonus around May 1st.
My statement closed June 10th. I can confirm that I earned 3x on $5,000 of Amazon Payments for May and it looks like for June too, but I had a lot of other 3x purchases like airfare so I am not 100%.
__________________
A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles. Tim Cahill
The_Wrath_of_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 13, 5:24 pm   #254
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
My statement closed June 10th. I can confirm that I earned 3x on $5,000 of Amazon Payments for May and it looks like for June too, but I had a lot of other 3x purchases like airfare so I am not 100%.
Interesting. I look forward to hearing more from people with recent statements.
karlmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 13, 12:38 am   #255
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 164
The weirdest thing: I just (on Jun 30th) received a points adjustment of 5,894 to my Amex account for, as far as I can tell, no reason. Did anyone else receive similar? Not that I'm complaining, but I do like to know why these things happen, in case I can reproduce them!

I guess this is consistent with my "keep people engaged" theory of their 3x bonuses.
karlmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:58 pm.