American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Subscribe
I agree with CFFrost's analysis. I suggest we just sit tight, report findings here, see if we can find predictable patterns, and see what happens.
I got some strange 3xs on my PR Gold as well: ZenniOptical.com and Shoebuy.com.

Don't know what makes me happier; receiving those or the fact that I can finally see what points are awarded by specific transaction at MembershipRewards.com.

I buy *tons* of stuff on Amazon... it'd be beyond awesome if that goes to 3x.
A little update. I can confirm that I did not receive any bonus points for Amazon on my membership rewards statement this month, despite making one purchase in the appropriate timespan. However, I did receive 3x points on another budget.com payment, as well as a paypal payment for pet sitting. Very strange.
-Karl
I got 3x for several online purchases from two sites previously on the bonus mall and one phone orde made with my PRG card. No amazon bonus.
Very nice when added to my UR mall points. Got 5+ points/$ ^ ^ ^
It seems like it's kind of random, but that it always applies to internet or phone orders, rather than in store purchases.
For a company like american express to have such a ****ed up process in place is a disgrace. No communication, no clarity, nothing. What a joke.
Getting ready to make a big Xmas purchase and NOT happy I can't get points through my PR Gold card, so I can also qualify for purchase protection and extended warranty. Guess this one goes to Chase UR as well. :
Quote:
I buy *tons* of stuff on Amazon... it'd be beyond awesome if that goes to 3x.
You know, kindle gift cards from staples using ink bold yields 5x ur points with no fees. Seems a better strategy than figuring out what's going on at Amex.
Here's the one thing that stops me from cancelling my Amex entirely: 20 years or so of stellar customer service. If I've had a problem with a vendor or needed a statement credit I've often gotten it without question or even much hassle, nearly every time. I have no experience with Chase and until I'm confident they'll take my needs seriously, I'm willing to give Amex a little more time. Also, the only Chase air transfer partners are UA, BA, WN... not terrible but for now I'd like more options.
Quote: Also, the only Chase air transfer partners are UA, BA, WN... not terrible but for now I'd like more options.
KE, too.
I can't believe the mall isn't back yet. I can't believe AMEX hasn't made any official announcement yet. Online portal is a big part of purchase decision and AMEX is seriously losing out.

When I bought a $2,000 Nikon D600 last week from JR, I went through Chase UR to earn 3x points.
When I bought a $2,700 Sony RX1 from Sony Store, I went through Chase UR to earn 3x points.

This is just 2 examples of many that I would normally have went through Bonus Points Mall and used AMEX if the mall was there. Now most of my purchases are put on a Chase card.

AMEX, get your act straight and bring the shopping portal back soon, for your sake.
Yes, you provide great service but that is not enough when consumers are losing out on thousands of points.
I just received an e-mail from American Express related to my Hilton HHonors card. At the bottom of the e-mail is a blurb with a link:

"Shop Online. Earn Rewards.
See how using your Card as your online form of payment earns you more rewards.
Learn More"

The link does not properly direct to a page with more information. However, this supports my theory (derived from having received extra points from a few different online merchants in the past couple of months) that AMEX is going to provide bonus points for online purchases generally, perhaps as an alternative to the bonus points mall.
Either that, or they're just referring to this:

http://shoptoearn.hhonors.com/hhearn/us/earnmallhome?

-Karl
Quote: Either that, or they're just referring to this:

http://shoptoearn.hhonors.com/hhearn/us/earnmallhome?

-Karl
That's probably more likely. As much as I use portals, I've never even considered the Hilton portal. The peculiar thing is that the link clearly directed to an Amex site rather than a hilton site (it was a faulty link however, which ultimately redirected to the homepage).
It is amazing as of today Earn Points page is still down for "maintenance". What kind of maintenance will take more than half a year?????

I mostly use Chase UR mall since the bonus is either on par or greater than Amex and I personally value 1 UR point a little more than 1 MR point. However, there have been some exceptions - shopbop, bergdorf goodman, starwood, hilton I do miss.