AmEx USA match better new account offer?

Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

AmEx USA match better new account offer?

Am EXP PMG Card
Hi I have a premier gold card. I was watching this thread on the 50,000 and 1000 spend w/3months.May 23 I applied for a 25000 and 2000 spend w/3months.I still haven't activated it. I called AME to try to get the upgrade. I got sent to the miles reward dept. She said to be able to get "considered" for the upgrade I would have to meet the first offer.And if I cancel the card I'd have a chance of all my AME cards getting canceled.
Can anybody shed some wisdom on this .
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. I have edited the thread title for clarity.

Why did you apply if you were not satisfied with the offer? American Express has no duty to match offers which were made to others.

Why do you believe that American Express would cancel your other cards if you close this account?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
At one time, Amex was very liberal about matching offers, but that has turned around 180 degrees.

Also note that the 50K offer is (I think) targeted. They generally will not match a targeted offer.

At this point, I would put little or no faith in anything their Membership Rewards department says, at least on this particular issue. (I assume that's what you meant when you said "Miles Rewards.") This department does not have the authority to issue bonus adjustments anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. I have edited the thread title for clarity.

Why did you apply if you were not satisfied with the offer? American Express has no duty to match offers which were made to others.

Why do you believe that American Express would cancel your other cards if you close this account?
I don't understand your question Why did you apply if you were not satisfied with the offer?
If I see a better opportunity,I'm going to try to get it.
I spoke to a rep when I inquired about "bumping" me up to the 50000 bonus.The rep in the point awards dept. said "I would have to adhere to the first offer" and then call to see if I could be considered to be eligible for the better promo and if I decided to cancel the card because for "what ever reason",there was a chance I could have all my AMX cards be cancelled on me.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
At one time, Amex was very liberal about matching offers, but that has turned around 180 degrees.

Also note that the 50K offer is (I think) targeted. They generally will not match a targeted offer.

At this point, I would put little or no faith in anything their Membership Rewards department says, at least on this particular issue. (I assume that's what you meant when you said "Miles Rewards.") This department does not have the authority to issue bonus adjustments anyway.
Yes Miles Reward Dept is what I meant .I didn't realize that they wouldn't match a targeted offer.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:41 pm
mia

At one time, Amex was very liberal about matching offers.
This was also a very brief time, not representative of American Express's longterm practice.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR

Agreed. The 50k bonus MR points is definitely a targeted offer. I wouldn't rely on Membership Rewards to credit the difference as the offer most likely did not originate from that department.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:31 pm
mia

Originally Posted by riclagriclag
If I see a better opportunity,I'm going to try to get it.
Perhaps I misunderstood your initial post, but it sounded as if you had been watching the targeted offers reported in the forum, applied for the standard offer, and expected American Express to better it. This might happen, but one shouldn't apply unless prepared to accept the application offer.

It's similar to buying an airline ticket. Buy when the price is right for you. You can be assured some people on the same plane paid less, but that doesn't invalidate your purchase.

There's no benefit to delaying the activation of the card. The clock is already running on the three month qualification period. There are about two months remaining.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL/silver
And if I cancel the card I'd have a chance of all my AME cards getting canceled.
Can anybody shed some wisdom on this .

I think one of the op questions was if he were to cancel his gold card,they might cancel his other AM/EX credit cards,,I never heard of this happening before,,,,has anyone else?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:41 am

Actually... last time I had an issue where they woudnt issue my 50k for my plat. they kept saying MR cant assign point.
after 1 month of back and forth and having their twitter team said they would. I called one more time repeating the whole story, then put me on hold and said that he issued 50k points in my account... They are just using the "cant do it" as a cameo me thinks...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Any luck matching Bonus offer for same card

I have not found any confirmation with a search, so I'm guessing the answer is probably "no", but.... have people had any luck getting Amex to match a new bonus offer if you applied for the same card within 90 days? Assuming of course you meet the new spend amount and deadline. I believe Chase will usually do this but not sure about Amex?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by flyaxa
I have not found any confirmation with a search, so I'm guessing the answer is probably "no", but.... have people had any luck getting Amex to match a new bonus offer if you applied for the same card within 90 days? Assuming of course you meet the new spend amount and deadline. I believe Chase will usually do this but not sure about Amex?
Amex is really stingie now... if you can risk a credit pull, test the waters, but dont go into it with much faith of success.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Amex BGR offer match

Mods - Saw nothing about this within 5 pages, and didn't want to dig up an old thread that might still not be relevant.

I got the 50k MR offer back when it first popped up for the BGR card with $5k spend in 3months. Then, between 2-3 weeks later, they had the very sporadic 75k MR offer that sent everybody crazy.

I called Amex as soon as I saw it and had a very candid discussion with the CSR and told him how I loved the card, but seeing something like this 2-3 weeks after getting the card was not a smart move for Amex to keep new customers, especially considering the high AF with less benefits than the Chase cards. I commented that I know Amex usually won't match bonuses, but I would appreciate if they would match for this case, saying it would be a nice gesture. Met the spend 2 weeks ago, called yesterday to follow up, and today I have 78k MR points in my account, with the remaining to be posted with my statement next week.

So the lesson? A match IS possible with Amex, you just gotta find the right CSR!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by PainCorp
... between 2-3 weeks later, they had the very sporadic 75k MR offer that sent everybody crazy.
I believe you are referring to this offer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-8-2013-a.html
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I believe you are referring to this offer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-8-2013-a.html
That was the offer I was matched to, originally had this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...light=50%2C000

I didn't see any threads about a match that was from this year, so I didn't want to dig up a year old thread with only one reply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.