Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Revised terms for 2014:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:28 pm

$200 Airline Fee Credits

Hi,

I recently got a Amex Platinum card. What is the good way(s) to use this credit if I'm not traveling this year?

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:46 pm

Just one of the numerous existing threads on this topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:01 pm

1. Is alcohol specifically prohibited or not for reimbursement using this perk on any of the airlines?

2. Being allowed to switch airlines each January, what is the specific open enrollment period? Is it 1/1 to 1/31, or 1/1 til first card use on an airline for incidentals? In other terms, can I just keep my decision open in 2016 and switch airlines as soon as I need?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hykos
1. Is alcohol specifically prohibited or not for reimbursement using this perk on any of the airlines?

2. Being allowed to switch airlines each January, what is the specific open enrollment period? Is it 1/1 to 1/31, or 1/1 til first card use on an airline for incidentals? In other terms, can I just keep my decision open in 2016 and switch airlines as soon as I need?
1 - Alcohol isn't prohibited, if bought on board it'll code the same as food or whatever

2 - it's the latter. You can switch your airline as long as you have not had a reimbursed expense. Once one is reimbursed, you're stuck with that airline for the year.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:01 am

I charged excess baggage ($101.86) and several in-flight food/drink purchases (6x~$7.99) to Delta on my PRG on Sept 21, 2015, months after having selected Delta for my airline for this benefit. Sometime in October, 2015, I called in and provided them the receipts and they said they would give the $100 airline credit.

Time passed.

A week ago, since I am getting close to closing my PRG before the AF hits, I did some accounting and noticed the airline credit hadn't posted. I called in to try again to get the credit and they gave me soo much resistance, relying on these contrivances:

* said they couldn't do it in 2016 for a past year expense. I insisted, indicating that I had already filed for the airline credit and they denied it for some untold reason.
* said the "system" wouldn't apply the credit since my baggage charge was over $100. Again I insisted, bc this is ridiculous, and nowhere is this stated to be a requirement (that charges be under $100).

Long story shorter.. After calling multiple times, being told they would apply the credit and for me to wait 24-36 hrs, I have finally gotten them to say they can apply the credit of $100 using the baggage fee. Waiting for it to apply now.. but at least I'm now more confident their heads are in the right place.

Has anyone else had any problems getting them to apply the credit in such reasonable cases?
Old May 4, 2016, 6:29 am

how quickly does airline benefit change?

Hello,

I have a gold rewards card and think my currently selected airline to get the $100 reimbursement is Delta.

If I still have my $100 credit available and wanted to book on a different airline, how quickly does the change take place?

i.e. if I changed my airline preference on-line today could I book tomorrow and get the credit or would it be instantly?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2016, 6:43 am

just login to your account and chat with with support.. they will make the change and it will be effective immediately
Old May 4, 2016, 6:55 am

cool. thanks!
I really wish amex didn't make you choose. I like the citi prestige for that reason.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I really wish amex didn't make you choose. I like the citi prestige for that reason.
I agree. Also, the Citi Prestige card lets you use the reimbursement for a flight. The incidentals thing is really petty of AMEX. You would at least thing we could use the $200 to upgrade. This card is pretty overhyped.

Last edited by Vip4me; Feb 7, 2017 at 7:17 pm Reason: quoted the wrong person originally
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:53 pm

Is Seat Selection Cost Considered Airline "Incidentals" for Reimbursement under PRG

Is Seat Selection Cost Considered Airline "Incidentals" for Reimbursement under PRG Airline Credit?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:22 pm

Yes, I paid for MCE fees in October and got the reimbursement for this same card. I gather it would work the same for the "green" seats on the AA site, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.