Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Revised terms for 2014:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:14 pm

Whatever I am trying to buy a car tomorrow and just remembered I had this to do. Was hoping someone who was knowledgeable on recent events could help. All you can say is yes or no which is easier then your last reply.

This thread can be deleted
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:17 pm

call amex and get an airline assigned such as delta. you can assign an airline online but I would call at this point. go online to delta and buy four e credits for $50 each. Or you can do the same on other airlines like american. read the threads on flyertalk on what works and does not work. sorry for the rude flyertalk remarks
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:13 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
good for 2014 airline spend?

I jumped on the 100k platinum offer last year with the plan to close the card before the year renewal and $495 fee. Are we could to go to get the $200 airline reimbursement since it's January 1st? I'd like to see the credit before I cancel.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:18 pm

amex platinum $200 reimbursment

quick question. so i got in on the last years january lucrative deal on the amex plat 100k so i believe the annual fee is due soon. how can i take advantage of the $200 reimbursement fee this year before i cancel the card?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by danilo2535
quick question. so i got in on the last years january lucrative deal on the amex plat 100k so i believe the annual fee is due soon. how can i take advantage of the $200 reimbursement fee this year before i cancel the card?
You can search any of the several threads of reimbursement reports in this forum to give you an idea of how to spend the credit. Spend, wait for credit, then cancel.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:24 pm

Yup. I am doing the same with my card.

We are going to keep my wife's Platinum card and add me as an extra cardholder to get some of the benefits.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG
I changed my airline on January 1 and I received an email with different terms and conditions - something to the extent for 2014 only platinum card members may change their airline one additional time between January 15 and February 28.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this, but it appears you can change airlines one additional time this year - once until January 15 and then once until February 28.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by esls79
I changed my airline on January 1 and I received an email with different terms and conditions - something to the extent for 2014 only platinum card members may change their airline one additional time between January 15 and February 28.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this, but it appears you can change airlines one additional time this year - once until January 15 and then once until February 28.
I got the same thing via email when I changed my airline today:

Terms & Conditions:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.

The info was bolded in the email received so very noticeable.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014
I would bet that this relates to the end of the US/AA lounge access coming in March. Gives people a chance to use the credit elsewhere through Feb., while those lounges are still free, and then switch to US/AA to cover day passes.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:09 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Daveyb101
... Gives people a chance to use the credit elsewhere through Feb., while those lounges are still free, and then switch to US/AA to cover day passes.
Perhaps, but then it would make more sense to permit changes in late March and April when cardholders "discover" that their Platinum Card is no longer accepted for entrance.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps, but then it would make more sense to permit changes in late March and April when cardholders "discover" that their Platinum Card is no longer accepted for entrance.
Well sure, that would be the "nice" thing for them to do. But they did provide notice of the change and are offering an opportunity to the people who paid attention to minimize the effect of the downgrade. I'm sure exceptions will be made, even if on a case by case basis, for valued cardmembers who were genuinely surprised when they were denied access. It's my understanding that at least some members who accessed AA clubs with some frequency received additional notice regarding the upcoming change and even an increased credit allowance for the year. Thus, those members who are more likely to be impacted by the change also are least likely to be surprised later.

It's an imperfect system, but they have to draw a line somewhere.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I got the same thing via email when I changed my airline today:

Terms & Conditions:

The info was bolded in the email received so very noticeable.
Alright, so can you tell me if my understanding is correct in regard to this new rule change? I updated my airline selection to DL on January 1. I just redeemed an award ticket on DL with taxes/fees of $315. Hopefully, $200 of that will be covered by the airline credit. Starting January 15, am I able to switch the airline to AA and then get an additional $200 credit on AA?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:12 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Starting January 15, am I able to switch the airline to AA and then get an additional $200 credit on AA?
I see nothing in the terms to support this interpretation.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mia
I see nothing in the terms to support this interpretation.
Ok, so it means you can switch between carriers once from 1/15-2/28 but still only get a maximum of $200?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:42 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Ok, so it means you can switch between carriers once from 1/15-2/28 but still only get a maximum of $200?
I think that is the most straightforward interpretation, setting aside the special AA/US benefit discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...22-2014-a.html

SPECULATION: It might be that American Express will require selecting AA or US as the carrier for the primary benefit to be eligible for the additional benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.