Search

Starwood SPG Amex Question

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Starwood SPG Amex Question

I had a SPG Amex and cancelled in Feb. Two questions

1. When is the concensus wait time before getting the signup bonus again?

2. In the mean time, can I sign up for the Business card version and get sign up bonus?

I searched SPG and found nothing on the first 2 pages of results... thanks so much!!
^
Old May 24, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Don't know about the 1st question, but to answer your 2nd question, you can get the business card and get the bonus. Amex doesn't count the personal and business as the same. They're two different cards and you get the bonus's for both
Old May 24, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
You wont get the bonus again.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
You wont get the bonus again.
For Q1? if so, EVER?

or did you mean for Q2?
Old May 24, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vmsea
For Q1? if so, EVER?

or did you mean for Q2?
Forever. I have tried it numerous times over the past several years.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Forever. I have tried it numerous times over the past several years.
That's strange. b/c i've gotten it twice already.. but the first time was MANY years ago. then about a year ago i applied and got it again.
so i'm pretty sure you can get it again, but I just don't know the time you have to wait..
Old May 24, 2012, 12:08 pm

You will 100% get the bonus on the business card since you never had one. All credit card companies treat personal and business card bonuses separately.

Also, I've read on Man of a thousand places blog, that there are confirmed reports that bonus can be achieved after 2 years since last application. You can find the link under the credit card bonus section of my blog.

Lastly, there's a little trick that's worked in the past (2 years ago), but I don't know if it still works. When you fill out of application, leave the SPG number blank. You get the bonus on a new SPG number.

Last edited by mia; May 25, 2012 at 2:11 pm Reason: Referral offer
Old May 24, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vmsea
That's strange. b/c i've gotten it twice already.. but the first time was MANY years ago. then about a year ago i applied and got it again.
so i'm pretty sure you can get it again, but I just don't know the time you have to wait..
Actually I remember this. Amex changed their type of SPG card offered to a Platinum or something. I got a second bonus for that.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:27 pm
In memoriam

I've gotten the bonus on both the biz and the personal card at least twice on each--I don't recall that there has been any change in type.

As far as I can tell you have to wait at least two years after cancelling to reapply and get a new bonus although you can, apparently, get any difference between the bonus you got originally and the bonus currently on offer, if the current offer is higher, without the two year wait.

And, it may be a hassle to get that second bonus, involving calls to cust serv and letters to HQ. Or, it may not be. YMMV.

By the way, shouldn't this be in the Amex or SPG forum.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
As far as I can tell you have to wait at least two years after cancelling to reapply and get a new bonus although you can, apparently, get any difference between the bonus you got originally and the bonus currently on offer, if the current offer is higher, without the two year wait.
Even this is not an absolute. My records show receiving the bonus once in Oct 2008 and again in July 2010 for both personal and business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.