Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keith1569
with what airline can u use the poitns to upgrade to first class?
Most airlines offer this benefit, but with a catch. The upgrades are generally restricted to only that carrier - no partners - and there are frequently fare restrictions on which tickets can be upgraded.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Either take Pitbrian's suggestion or transfer to Air Canada or offer a trade on Coupon Connection.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:08 am

AMEX Points Transfer to which airline??

I just received the 50,000 bonus points for the mailing promotion. I have been researching b/c they say it's good for 2 domestic flights, but that's obviously not true. What is the best airline partner to transfer the 50,000 points to.
From my research so far, it looks as if maybe AIRTRAN?? It looks like 8A+ Points would get you 1 one-way domestic coach flight. This means that 16 pts would be a round trip flight, so there for 32 pts. would be 2 roundtrip ticckets? That doesn't seem to make too much sense b/c 50,000 points is equal to about 44A+ points (this would be above and beyond 2 round trip flights) But then again, they don't specify distances, it just says DOMESTIC trip.
Anyway I heard transferring points to delta is a huge waste. So I wanna stay away from that.
If anyone has any comments on this, thank you in advance!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jim Benet
... they say it's good for 2 domestic flights, but that's obviously not true....
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Redeeming 50,000 Membership Rewards points for two domestic USA economy class tickets is not best value, but it certainly is true because 25,000 miles is the standard requirement for a domestic roundtrip.

You can transfer to British Airways and redeem for domestic USA travel on American Airlines or Alaska Airlines. You can transfer to Delta Airlines and redeem for travel on Delta or (I believe) Alaska Airlines. You can transfer to Air Canada or Continental and redeem for travel on Continental, US Airways or United Airlines. There are other possibilities including AirTran, JetBlue and Southwest.

The critical thing is to hold the points in your Membership Rewards account until you have verified availability of awards on a specific airline for the dates you want to travel. MR points transfer instantly to AC, BA, CO, DL and some others.

Last edited by mia; Mar 11, 2010 at 7:41 am Reason: Precision
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:09 am
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
do transferred points

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Redeeming 50,000 Membership Rewards points for two domestic USA economy class tickets is not best value, but it certainly is true because 25,000 miles is the standard requirement for a domestic roundtrip.

You can transfer to British Airways and redeem for domestic USA travel on American Airlines or Alaska Airlines. You can transfer to Delta Airlines and redeem for travel on Delta or (I believe) Alaska Airlines. You can transfer to Air Canada or Continental and redeem for travel on Continental, US Airways or United Airlines. There are other possibilities including AirTran, JetBlue and Southwest.

The critical thing is to hold the points in your Membership Rewards account until you have verified availability of awards on a specific airline for the dates you want to travel. MR points transfer instantly to AC, BA, CO, DL and some others.

hello mia,

as always, great info and we appreciate your assistance.

do you know for example: if i already have 90,000 miles at ual and need 10,000 more miles (for a 100,000 total for a ticket). can i transfer into air canada 10,000 miles, then transfer those 10,000 miles to ual to reach my 100,000 total that was needed? or??

many thanks,
jsq
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:16 am

I just received the 50,000 bonus points for the mailing promotion. I have been researching b/c they say it's good for 2 domestic flights, but that's obviously not true.
How do you figure? A 50K transfer to CO would be enough for two domestic r/t tickets assuming you find availability. Ditto for DL, and if you do the transfer when a promo is going on you might have enough for other nearby destinations, too.
Originally Posted by jsq
hello mia,

as always, great info and we appreciate your assistance.

do you know for example: if i already have 90,000 miles at ual and need 10,000 more miles (for a 100,000 total for a ticket). can i transfer into air canada 10,000 miles, then transfer those 10,000 miles to ual to reach my 100,000 total that was needed? or??

many thanks,
jsq
No, you cannot do that. There isn't a good way to get points from MR to UA.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:28 am

I was really wanting to transfer to US airway, bc I recently traveled to Hawaii, and earned about 10K miles. But they are not a partner with AMEX. So, I can transfer the AMEX MR points to Continental Airlines, and then Transfer those to USAirway, and there will be no penalty or loss of miles??
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:04 am

I was really wanting to transfer to US airway, bc I recently traveled to Hawaii, and earned about 10K miles. But they are not a partner with AMEX. So, I can transfer the AMEX MR points to Continental Airlines, and then Transfer those to USAirway, and there will be no penalty or loss of miles??
Nope.

Again, do you have a need to transfer them out of MR now? If not, just leave them be.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
sbm12 and everyone else here will tell you NOT to transfer MR points in miles until you need them.

You should start doing some extensive research on FlyerTalk about airline alliances, and mileage redemption.

The short of it is. There are 3 or so major airline alliances in the US. With miles on just one airline per alliance, you can get a frequent flyer ticket on all the other airlines in the same alliance. In the case of your AMex. You should be collecting your miles earned from flying in an airline that you can convert MR points into.
Continental for example. Anytime you fly US Air, United, Continental, ANA and all other Star Alliance airlines you should be collecting those in your Continental mileage account. When you want to redeem miles for a frequent flyer ticket on a Star Alliance airline, just use the miles in your Continental account you earned from flying. And supplement it by converting your MR rewards points to meet the number of miles required for the tickets.

This whole forum is mainly dedicated to things like this, so take the time to learn from the millions of miles of experience posted here.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
transfer the AMEX MR points to Continental Airlines, and then Transfer those to USAirway...
You can redeem Continental miles for travel on US Airways (and other Star Alliance airlines). However, you cannot combine Membership Rewards points with the miles which are already in your US Airways account, except through a hotel program which would involve a 2/3 loss of value.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:15 pm

Need to transfer all my MR points in 48 hours! Where?

I just found out that I have 48 hours to transfer my MR points from my Amex card that got canceled last month before I lose all of them.

I have over 270,000 points, what should I do with them? I want to use them for travel, so I need to figure out which FF program to transfer them to

I was originally going to transfer them to aeroplan because I used them for a great trip to europe last year on Swiss Airlines, but now with all these bonuses I am not sure that its the way to go. What do the experts think?

BA with the bonus? I am also looking at the 50% delta promo, but I keep hearing how diluted the points are now, and how hard it is to get any low point flights. Or just stick with aeroplan?

I am particularly interested in flying to hawaii and asia.

Thanks so much for your help! This got sprung on me and is really stressing me out! If I hadn't called by chance I would have lost them.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Run to the delta forum and look for the 50% bonus thread.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by donnymandible
I just found out that I have 48 hours to transfer my MR points from my Amex card that got canceled last month before I lose all of them.

I have over 270,000 points, what should I do with them? I want to use them for travel, so I need to figure out which FF program to transfer them to

I was originally going to transfer them to aeroplan because I used them for a great trip to europe last year on Swiss Airlines, but now with all these bonuses I am not sure that its the way to go. What do the experts think?

BA with the bonus? I am also looking at the 50% delta promo, but I keep hearing how diluted the points are now, and how hard it is to get any low point flights. Or just stick with aeroplan?

I am particularly interested in flying to hawaii and asia.

Thanks so much for your help! This got sprung on me and is really stressing me out! If I hadn't called by chance I would have lost them.
I would definitely transfer 50k to Delta to get 75k and status till 2012 with them. The rest is debatable and I would say depends on where you fly out of any main carrier there.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:16 pm

While DL would definitely allow you to take advantage of the bonus, if you like flying F in 3-class planes, you should xfer to AC.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Send them all to Air Canada, don't waste them on Delta even with the free SM status. 270k miles on AC is enough for two F awards to anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.