Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
I have over 56k in my account and 103k in wifes account,we fly from bos to hyd,last year we transferred over 100k when amex had avios promos,but avios is bad for me for india,so which airline offers decent redemption with less fuel charges,i read on lot of blogs and FT,but i am confused,any suggestions,i am not in hurry to convert.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:34 pm

Suppose I had 60-70k MR and wanted a one way from Asia, Sing or HK, even Seoul or Tokyo to NYC what is best way with lowest out of pocket expense.
I checked Krisflyer and for redemption SIN to NYC the out of pocket looked like about 400 USD and that is stopping in Frankfurt. Terrible deal. So, is there another airline that offers one way redemption(not the rapacious Delta method) and not spending half the price of a ticket anyway? I think 200 USD would be max out of pocket. Maybe if they offered something going the other direction they could avoid those German fees though I think I tried to LA.
Surely, this cannot be an impossible ask. I know miles are overrated but if this cannot be done, what is the point?
Thank you

Last edited by gambit50; May 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm
Old May 10, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Please, advice needed.

I'm stuck by Amex to transfer MR points only to Singapore (the only *A choice).
Is there a way, after doing so, to transfer again from Singapore to Aeroplan?

I'd gladly use Aeroplan over Singapore for redeeming flights, but the former is not included among the transfer partners in the Italian Amex programme.
Cheers.

Last edited by Forrest Bump; May 10, 2013 at 2:51 am
Old May 23, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHC AVIOS MR
what to do with my Amex MR points

I had previously used my MR points to top up my IHC priority rewards to give me platinum status..this is no longer available ...as I am only a occasional traveller it is unlikely I will maintain platinum status for next year...shame because I do like the benefits it buys....anyway I have 50,000 MR points available to transfer to another hotel programme.....need to know which one would give me the best benefits...so any input would be very welcome...thanks..Tony
Old May 23, 2013, 1:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to FlyerTalk. In which country is your American Express card issued? Every version of the program has different partners and transfer ratios.

I have moved your question into the established thread on this topic. As you review the preceding discussions you will find very little mention of hotel programs because typically airline program transfers provide higher monetary value.

If you do decide to transfer to Hilton, you may wish to make a two-step transfer via Virgin Atlantic Airways:

++50,000 Membership Rewards
= 50,000 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
=100,000 Hilton HHonors
Old May 23, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHC AVIOS MR
Hi Mia..card issued in UK where I live...can get 2 for 1 Hilton and 3 for 1 carlson...also 1 for 1 on BA Avios but find their taxes very steep when booking flights...
Old May 23, 2013, 3:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by itchytony
...issued in UK where I live...can get 2 for 1 Hilton .
You may wish to edit your FlyerTalk profile to show that you live in the UK. It will help others provide more appropriate replies. There is no advantage in the UK version of Membership Rewards to making the MR-> VS -> HH double transfer. You could transfer directly to HH.

I believe Avois offer good value on shorter flights, such as within the UK or between London and northern Europe.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Mia - I'm a new Hilton member.
What do you value a HH point at now?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to FlyerTalk. In which country is your American Express card issued? Every version of the program has different partners and transfer ratios.

I have moved your question into the established thread on this topic. As you review the preceding discussions you will find very little mention of hotel programs because typically airline program transfers provide higher monetary value.

If you do decide to transfer to Hilton, you may wish to make a two-step transfer via Virgin Atlantic Airways:

++50,000 Membership Rewards
= 50,000 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
=100,000 Hilton HHonors
Old May 28, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Need 2 one ways VIE-JFK in August

I have around 110k MR points in my account right now. I booked two tickets JFK-VIE using UA miles to get LH Business Class in August one way, but didn't have enough miles for return.

I know I can transfer to a bunch of partners, and don't really have preference as to who we fly with on the return, as long as I'm not shelling out a lot in fuel surcharges. Any help is much appreciated!
Old May 29, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, AA, IHG, Club Carlson
where to park amex MR points?

I have the following FF memberships and points other than Amex MR:
1. Southwest, have over 500k points. Companion pass.
2. SPG, Platinum, over 170k points as of this moment (plan to use them for a couple of disney Dolphin trips).
3. AA, no status. My account - 300k points, wife - 200k points.
4. DL, SPG-Crossover Silver. No points.

I have recently accrued 180k MR points in my account, and my wife will soon have 125k. We have to close the Amex cards, and hence need to transfer the Amex MR points to some other program till we are ready to use them.

We are a family of 4 and live close to NYC.

At this point, most of our travel is domestic. Southwest points will likely cover this for some time to come. So I don't think there is any point in transferring the MR points to Southwest.

Once every 3/4 years, all of us make an international trip to India. We go to CCU, but if we get a ticket to DEL or BOM that may also work.

Which program should we transfer our points to?

Last edited by baburai; May 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Old May 30, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by baburai
I have the following FF memberships and points other than Amex MR:
1. Southwest, have over 500k points. Companion pass.
2. SPG, Platinum, over 170k points as of this moment (plan to use them for a couple of disney Dolphin trips).
3. AA, no status. My account - 300k points, wife - 200k points.
4. DL, SPG-Crossover Silver. No points.

I have recently accrued 180k MR points in my account, and my wife will soon have 125k. We have to close the Amex cards, and hence need to transfer the Amex MR points to some other program till we are ready to use them.

We are a family of 4 and live close to NYC.

At this point, most of our travel is domestic. Southwest points will likely cover this for some time to come. So I don't think there is any point in transferring the MR points to Southwest.

Once every 3/4 years, all of us make an international trip to India. We go to CCU, but if we get a ticket to DEL or BOM that may also work.

Which program should we transfer our points to?
Since you have no immediate use for the points, I would recommend getting an Amex Blue (not Blue Cash!) card. This card has no annual fee and earns Membership Rewards Express points, which cannot transfer to FF programs. If that is the only card you have (as it will be when you cancel your other MR cards), all your existing MR points will devolve into MRE points. But that's OK; sometime in the future, when you want to use them, you can get a new card (Green, Gold, or Platinum) that has full MR status, and your points will be upgraded again.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:56 am

That's good to know on AMEX Blue, I'll switch over from PRG when annual fee comes next year. I just transferred over 60k MR points to Avios with 35% discount, which I'm planning on short haul trips.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by cronin85
That's good to know on AMEX Blue, I'll switch over from PRG when annual fee comes next year. I just transferred over 60k MR points to Avios with 35% discount, which I'm planning on short haul trips.

Agree. Never knew of this card / option.. Probably the main reason I've been holding the PRG..
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:42 am

I have about 380K in my Membership Rewards accounts. I have about 85k in my United account and my fiancé has 240k in United (Gold, likely hit Platinum this year). I also have about 25k in Southwest.

A few years ago I was transferring membership rewards points over to Southwest for free flights. After I did this several times I got a companion pass (which I ended up not being able to take advantage of). It was the easiest thing ever. I know MW is not working with Southwest anymore, but are there any similar deals where I can move points over to some airline and get an easy way into some sort of companion pass? And then still be able to use points from MW to transfer to that same airline and to get free flights (and get my companion free)?

If not, best suggested alternative?

We'd mostly like to take advantage of flights in the US, Hawaii, Canada and Australia
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
I have over 56k in my account and 103k in wifes account,we fly from bos to hyd,last year we transferred over 100k when amex had avios promos,but avios is bad for me for india,so which airline offers decent redemption with less fuel charges,i read on lot of blogs and FT,but i am confused,any suggestions,i am not in hurry to convert.
One option I can say is transfer your Amex to ANA for travel on Ethihad to HYD. The award availability is awesome from JFK/IAD-AUH-HYD.
Since Etihad is a non-alliance partner of ANA, you cannot add additional segments to get to their Hub. I mean segments like BOS-JFK or BOS-IAD. ANA uses a distance based approach. For a RT from JFK to HYD it is shy under 17K miles and you will look at the 14-18K category which costs you 85K/105K/160K for Econ/Biz/First.
Also the taxes and fees for Etihad Biz is steep. For ex, RT award taxes for JFK-AUH-HYD will be 900$. This is the hardest part for me to digest.
Transfer to ANA takes 2-3 days from MR.

I am looking for more options for MR transfer that will take me to HYD easily.

Last edited by ramkashyap; Jun 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm Reason: added more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.