Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alexxgr
... Lufthansa + United on the way back
It's the portion on Lufthansa which is generating most of the fees. You need to find an itinerary operated 100% by carriers on which Aeroplan does not collect fuel surcharges, such as US Airways and United Airlines.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It's the portion on Lufthansa which is generating most of the fees. You need to find an itinerary operated 100% by carriers on which Aeroplan does not collect fuel surcharges, such as US Airways and United Airlines.
Yes, that's probably right.
But interestingly enough - on the united site I can book the same flight for the same 60 K (it is Lufthansa both ways - direct), but only $125 in fees
On aeroplan it is $679 - same as ANA.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:59 pm
mia

... on the united site I can book the same flight...Lufthansa both ways
Thank you for the clarification. To my knowledge, UA does not collect fuel surcharges for any partners. There is no sensible way to transfer Membership Rewards to LH or UA.

However, you may be able to make a two step transfer:

MR -> AC -> [via points.com] US

I believe you will lose about 15% of the points in the points.com transfer from AC to US. See if US offers the same LH flights that you see on ua.com.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

The same 60K UA or AC miles should get U all the way from ATL--FRA--GOJ with or without spending time in Frankfurt! So save your LH miles for next time.
AFAIK, UA refuses to charge YQ on any award tickets, while AC charges it on its own TATL flights & those of *A partners that charge their own miles-holders YQ! So your best bet is to transfer Amex to AC & surrender to the nasty YQ. Too bad U don't have Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which do transfer to UA!
I don't know if US charges YQ on LH flights, but US has crazy fees of its own: Award Processing Fee + Phone Booking Fee on any partner airlines!

LifeMiles is also a *A airline.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
The same 60K UA or AC miles should get U all the way from ATL--FRA--GOJ with or without spending time in Frankfurt! So save your LH miles for next time.
AFAIK, UA refuses to charge YQ on any award tickets, while AC charges it on its own TATL flights & those of *A partners that charge their own miles-holders YQ! So your best bet is to transfer Amex to AC & surrender to the nasty YQ. Too bad U don't have Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which do transfer to UA!
I don't know if US charges YQ on LH flights, but US has crazy fees of its own: Award Processing Fee + Phone Booking Fee on any partner airlines!

LifeMiles is also a *A airline.
I can only book all the way from ATL--FRA--GOJ with 60K of UA. For my dates it would be 75K AC. How did you get 60K on AC miles - on www.aeroplan.com?
Thanks for the advice on UA. I do have some Chase points.
Question - when they transfer bonus - right after the spending limit is met or after 3 months?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
I can only book all the way from ATL--FRA--GOJ with 60K of UA. For my dates it would be 75K AC. How did you get 60K on AC miles - on www.aeroplan.com?
Thanks for the advice on UA. I do have some Chase points.
Question - when they transfer bonus - right after the spending limit is met or after 3 months?
Chase awards points for spending on the first statement following qualification.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Alex, Cvarming is right. We assume you're referring to the sign-up bonus of 40K or so??
Once you have Chase points, just hit the transfer button & they arrive in your UA instantly!
Sorry, I just guessed that GOJ (Nizhny Novgorod--I just Bing'ed it) was in the 60K USA--to-Europe zone in both programs. I may be wrong re: AC.

BTW, Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOJ says that Czech Airlines & Ural Airlines fly Prague--GOJ direct. Czech is a Delta/ SkyTeam partner but U might need to phone DL to use miles to fly them.
If there are no direct flights ATL--PRG, you can fly via New York or Montreal! Spend a week in Montreal ("stopover") then via Prague to Nizhny--for no extra miles!

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 22, 2013 at 7:09 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
BTW, Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOJ says that Czech Airlines & Ural Airlines fly Prague--GOJ direct. Czech is a Delta/ SkyTeam partner but U might need to phone DL to use miles to fly them.
If there are no direct flights ATL--PRG, you can fly via New York or Montreal! Spend a week in Montreal ("stopover") then via Prague to Nizhny--for no extra miles!
Wow - I never thought about that. Though our idea is to make a stopover in FRA.

I have a question about transferring to US airways via points. I tried to see if I can book LH flight UA and AC offer, but on US airways site they only offer US flights. How/where can I see if I can book with partners as well?

UPDATE: you need to call to book with partners... Oh, man!
It still may be a better deal, since it would be around 60K miles for a trip + 180 fee, compares with around 670 if booked using AC.

Last edited by alexxgr; Apr 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:16 pm

Exclamation

I just tried Expedia.com, but I can't find the flights I mentioned above. Maybe the info is outdated, seasonal, or they fly only on certain days of the week!
Trouble is when converting AC to US on points.com, U lose about 20% of the points: 75,406 AC---> 60K US! The lost miles are worth $308 IMO!

Plus the change fees are $0--75 when using UA miles, $90 on AC, or $150 on US! Also, last time I checked, once U fly to Russia, your return ticket booked on US miles may not be changed at all--even by paying a fee! So if U want to come home later or earlier, U must buy a new one-way ticket!
Old May 5, 2013, 1:59 pm

about to cancel amex platinum, can someone offer some points help?

hey there:

i am about to cancel my amex platinum in favor of the chase united club card, since i fly united now mostly. i still have 60000 unused amex points. i know, not a ton, but what is the BEST use of these remaining points.

side note: do have a virgin america elevate account, i fly them about 1, maybe 2 times, per year.

thanks!
Old May 5, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...ewards-points/

This is a recent blog post with what you can do with 50K points. Might give you a few ideas.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:33 pm

interesting

this is interesting, but i am in california, and most of these ideas are not close to here.

i was hoping someone could chime in with the most value redemption ideas for the points.

perhaps someone who cancelled their platinum card and had a similar issue?

thanks!
Old May 5, 2013, 4:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by amxcxl
...what is the BEST use of these remaining points.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. You have asked a question to which there is no answer. I have moved your question into the established thread on points transfers, but you should also read this one to understand why airline transfers are nearly always the best monetary value:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...giftcards.html

If you wish to use the miles for travel on UA you will transfer to AC, NH or SQ. You cannot tramsfer miles from those programs to UA, but you can redeem for travel on flights operated by any Star Alliance carrier.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:01 pm

Almost 400K

I have almost 400K to transfer from my MR accounts. Would like to use points for a 20th wedding anniversary trip. Best suggestions for using points for business class or first class air to Europe, and hotel??

Would like to go to either Spain, Italy or Scandinavia.

Where do I start??
Old May 7, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Where do I start??"

Where do you start from? Your departure airport might be relevant, as some frequent-flyer programs are distance-based, rather than zone based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.