Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints
Hilton: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by InfoMofo
When I first joined Amex Plat they had a promotion to transfer delta miles and earn MQMs. Are there any similar status generating offers with any airlines going on currently?
No. Hasn't even been a transfer bonus in the last few months
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jmw2323
and there is the problem. Amex MR do not transfer to UA or US. so the 120k example doesn't work in this situation
Thank you, did not remember to check MR partners.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
You can transfer to Star ( UA, US etc....) Tons of choices ( LH = ORD FRA sevral points to India). UA Nonstops from EWR.
Is there a workaround to transfer to Star. AMEX does not transfer directly to
UA, which works well for me .
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Is there a workaround to transfer to Star. AMEX does not transfer directly to
UA, which works well for me .
You can transfer to ANA or Aeroplan. From Aeroplan you can transfer to US with a 15% loss via points.com. All of these programs can book UA flights, so the question is which program is best suited for your travel.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by cvarming
You can transfer to ANA or Aeroplan. From Aeroplan you can transfer to US with a 15% loss via points.com. All of these programs can book UA flights, so the question is which program is best suited for your travel.
is there any fee to exchange AC for US?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by jmw2323
is there any fee to exchange AC for US?
There is no fee when for an exchange. The minimum AC to US is 15k miles. I don't know if there is a max, but I think it has been reported that you can do multiple transfers in succession.

Before you commit to any of these programs you should consider them carefully. None of the programs are as nice as UA, but they all have their strengths so do ask questions about routings, cost, and cash.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:08 am

Membership Reward Transfer

Hello!

I currently have 110,000 MR points and the Amex Platinum card. I have spend coming up as well, where I could put another 15 - 20k points on the card.

I need to travel to KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal) this October from Chicago. Of all of the transfer partners, any recommendations at first glance on who to focus on for a RT Business seat? Thank you!

Additionally (if relevant), I do have the following, but would prefer to use my MR points if possible!
Delta: 215k (don't want to use all of these though if possible)
Chase UR: 30k
UAL: 110,000
US: 80k
American: 37k
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by MkDL426
Hello!

I currently have 110,000 MR points and the Amex Platinum card. I have spend coming up as well, where I could put another 15 - 20k points on the card.

I need to travel to KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal) this October from Chicago. Of all of the transfer partners, any recommendations at first glance on who to focus on for a RT Business seat? Thank you!
I assume your dates are fixed or close to it. Find TPAC availability in J, then figure out how to get there from Nepal. (i guess TATL may be possible as well)
How many stops are you willing to allow?

can transfer to SQ for AI (140k for J).
can transfer to NH for QR (115k for J)

Of course all depends on who has availability.

Last edited by jmw2323; Apr 5, 2013 at 9:56 am
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Hello!

Additionally (if relevant), I do have the following, but would prefer to use my MR points if possible!
Remember you can "borrow " points from AMEX with a date certain requirement of earning those back or pay X cents per point.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:40 pm

Hello!

Work backwards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribhuv...tional_Airport

The major alliances headed into KTM are * and ST. You should check ST partners for J availability on EF then use Skymiles (120k for J). Korean usually has decent availability in J over TPAC. Check ORD-ATL-ICN-KTM would be a good route to look at. Check China Eastern and China Southern.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. You can redeem Skymiles for travel on Aeroflot, but not online. You will need to call Delta. I suggest you first review this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html
Change of plans - I need a flight from ATL-FRA-ATL, preferable direct.
My options:
1/ Delta: 112K miles + 126
I need more miles than I have, but modest fees
2/ booking through ANA site - 55K miles, there are direct flights (Lufthansa (looks like codesharing with UA) but $625 in fees.
3/Booking thru Aeroplan - 60K + $435 - one stop in Phi.

None of the option is ideal - am I missing any other option which is available?

Now, I checked on United site, and they offer a direct flight for 60K + $125 in fees. Is there any easy way to transfer Amex point to United?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:37 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alexxgr
3/Booking thru Aeroplan - 60K + $435 - one stop in Phi.
Which carrier(s) operate this itinerary?

United site, and they offer a direct flight for 60K + $125 in fees. Is there any easy way to transfer Amex point to United?
You may be able to obtain this exact itinerary through Aeroplan, even if not shown on their website.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Which carrier(s) operate this itinerary?

You may be able to obtain this exact itinerary through Aeroplan, even if not shown on their website.
US airways from US to Germany and Lufthansa + United on the way back

You mean I need to call them?

The flight should be in July 4- 17 this year.
Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Lightbulb

Alexxgr, yes, do phone Aeroplan. Their Website is mediocre at showing availability. Any *A flight available on UA miles should be available on AC miles. Be sure to ask about the direct flight ATL--FRA, probably on LH! Only bad thing about using AC miles vs. UA is that AC charges ~$300 in Fuel Surcharges ("YQ") on its own flights & certain partners.
Also, try to talk them out of the Phone Booking Fee by pointing out that U tried to book the direct flight online, but it did not display!
Remember that you're allowed 1 (or is it 2) "stopover(s)" (spending days in a city on the way to your main destination OR 1 stopover + 1 "open-jaw" (mixing of cities.) Do you really want to go ONLY to Frankfurt, or also somewhere else?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Alexxgr, yes, do phone Aeroplan. Their Website is mediocre at showing availability. Any *A flight available on UA miles should be available on AC miles. Be sure to ask about the direct flight ATL--FRA, probably on LH! Only bad thing about using AC miles vs. UA is that AC charges ~$300 in Fuel Surcharges ("YQ") on its own flights & certain partners.
Also, try to talk them out of the Phone Booking Fee by pointing out that U tried to book the direct flight online, but it did not display!
Remember that you're allowed 1 (or is it 2) "stopover(s)" (spending days in a city on the way to your main destination OR 1 stopover + 1 "open-jaw" (mixing of cities.) Do you really want to go ONLY to Frankfurt, or also somewhere else?
Thanks Brendan. So, there's no way I can transfer Amex to UA without a huge loss of points (like Amex- SPG- UA)?

Regarding your question - my final destination would a city in Russia - GOJ.
I have some miles with Lufthansa I can use in order to book the ticket FRA-GOJ-FRA, so I figured I just need a flight to FRA.

Any issues with this plan? I guess I can't transfer Amex points to Lufthansa, can I.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.