Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
bluedevils's questions have been appended to the established thread discussing the relative merits of various transfer partners.

Best monetary value will (generally) be achieved if you transfer to an airline program and redeem for intercontinental business or first class flights, but there are exceptions.

I would not transfer to BA merely because there is a promotion. You need to understand their program and how it fits with your travel plans. BA requires payment of substantial fees if used on transatlantic flights operated by BA or AA (~ $1,000 per person), but not if used for domestic flights operated by AA or AS.

Originally Posted by bluedevils
... Amazon store credit, using points to offset everyday charges -- is that a 1:1 ratio
I do not recall the exact rate, but it is less than $0.01 per point.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:57 pm

Thanks. Can this thread be stickied? I'd have seen the thread and posted my question here if the thread was a sticky.

Personally, I don't place as much value on business or first class travel as most of the folks here.

Our travel plans are very flexible -- we are willing to go wherever these points/miles can take us, whether that is within the continental U.S. or Hawaii or Alaska or Canada or South America or Europe or pretty much anywhere.

Your comment about understanding any particular airline's FF plan and how it fits with my travel plans is a good one.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Don't see any sticky posts in this forum dealing with this sort of fairly common question, so here goes...

I've got about 90,000 Membership Rewards points, mostly from a Business Gold Rewards credit card sign-up offer last March. Not going to renew the card in a couple months because of annual fee, unless someone can provide a compelling reason. Primary card is SPG Amex. Just read a thread about the value of instant transfers, so that's a plus for MR points.

My understanding is my MR points are tied to this Amex Business credit card, though an Amex rep told me we'd have 30 days after canceling the card to 'spend' the points since we hold another(s) Amex card.
Why not get a personal MR card (and the concomitant bonus) to keep your MR account alive? PRG waives the fee for the first year.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin
Why not get a personal MR card (and the concomitant bonus) to keep your MR account alive? PRG waives the fee for the first year.
Not a bad idea, I suppose. Didn't really want to open a new credit card account and incur the credit pull, but will consider it. Thanks. After a couple minutes of fruitless searching in FT, Google informed me that the PRG in 'Amex PRG' means Premier Rewards Gold.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:08 pm

Not a bad idea, I suppose. Didn't really want to open a new credit card account and incur the credit pull, but will consider it. Thanks. After a couple minutes of fruitless searching in FT, Google informed me that the PRG in 'Amex PRG' means Premier Rewards Gold.
Sorry about the lingo. We do like our acronyms around here.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: F9, UA, AA, HH, WN
Same question as everyone else - I have over 400,000 MR points. I used to drop them to Frontier, but Frontier dropped Dayton which I used for family trips and our home airport is Denver. My flying is domestic and I use miles on family trips. I am a member of HH and have 200,000 or so there. I am migrating to Ultimate Rewards because of SW and UA. I don't travel internationally. Any thoughts on how I can get over 1 cent per MR point? I am willing to take prepaid cards, HH, etc. Thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited by PlaneAdmirer; Jan 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneAdmirer
Same question as everyone else - I have over 400,000 MR points. I used to drop them to Frontier, but Frontier dropped Dayton which I used for family trips and our home airport is Denver. My flying is domestic and I use miles on family trips. I am a member of HH and have 200,000 or so there. I am migrating to Ultimate Rewards because of SW and UA. I don't travel internationally. Any thoughts on how I can get over 1 cent per MR point? I am willing to take prepaid cards, HH, etc. Thanks for the thoughts.
There's a special transfer rate for HHonors right now, 1000 MR:2000 HH. Whether that's worth more than a penny a point depends on how you value HH points. Myself I think it's a little better, but not much, probably 1.2 cents or so.

Otherwise, for domestic airlines your only choices are B6, DL, F9, HA, and VX. VX do not fly to DEN. HA also do not; a couple of their partners do, but those partners are DL and B6. DL is the only one that flies to DAY, and you'll struggle to get more than a penny a mile of value on domestic coach redemptions with them, as "low level" award availability is very tight. In short, your options aren't that great.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by PlaneAdmirer
... My flying is domestic and I use miles on family trips.
You could transfer to AC, NH or SQ and redeem for travel on flights operated by UA or US. Learn about each program before deciding to transfer.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
You could transfer to AC, NH or SQ and redeem for travel on flights operated by UA or US. Learn about each program before deciding to transfer.
Sorry OT . Just looked up NH. All Nippon airlines. ANA is the same .
Any reason ?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:24 am

Hey guys,

Being completely overwhelmed by the AmEx rewards process. I'm trying to book a SFO-JNB RT. I have about 260k points in Amex, 92k points in SAA Voyager, and an empty account of Gold Medallion in Delta.

I hear of things like bonuses for redeeming miles through AmEx, but have not seen anything like that online.

I have also seen that business class tickets are supposedly great value, but the cheapest I can find is 250k points on Delta (from either SFO or ATL). That seems like a waste of points. From my searching these forums, I feel like people are getting international business class for ~120k RT.

I can find economy on Delta for 150k RT (under $0.01 / point value). I can find economy on Delta RT from ATL for 125k .

Virgin Atlantic looks awful as well. 92,500 miles plus almost $1,000 (!) in fuel surcharges. Their normal ticket is just $1,200!

These seem like garbage deals. Anyone have tips on how I should be processing this further?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
...NH. All Nippon airlines. ANA is the same
Correct, NH is the IATA code for All Nippon Airlines, just as WN is the code for Southwest airlines.

Originally Posted by seydou
I hear of things like bonuses for redeeming miles through AmEx, but have not seen anything like that online.
By their nature bonuses are temporary promotions. They do not occur on a predictable schedule, else everyone would wait to transfer during the promotional periods. American Express (USA) has recently offered bonuses for transfers to British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Hilton hotels.

cheapest I can find is 250k points on Delta (from either SFO or ATL).
This issue is better researched in the Skymiles forum. Skymiles has three redemption levels: Low, Medium and High. Finding Low level partner awards can be difficult. I suggest you begin with these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html

The redeem through other programs look for similar threads in the corresponding forums.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:54 am
mia

Moderator request

I created a companion poll on this topic in a separate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-partners.html
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Keeping MR points alive without card

Originally Posted by taliesin
I already have a personal MR card and want to cancel my business MR card. Can I transfer the points to my other MR account?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
A slow churn?

Can anyone create a sticky thread devoted to MR bonuses and/or MR bonus signup offers? Ideally I would like to subscribe to both without having to keep scouring the MR forum.

With the first I can transfer existing MR points when the next decent bonus offer shows up (50% BA?!), then close my card. Wait 18 months then get the next bonus.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:31 pm

Where to bank american express points?

I have about 80K american express points. where do you guys usually transfer the points? I could claim for gift card at 1c/point rate, but i think some airline miles worth more than that. I love to fly in bussiness. I have about 100k on delta and american. 40k avois. any sugesstion would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.