Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:48 pm

Best option for CHEAP person :)

We have about 330k points to move out of MR and we need to move them soon, as the accounts are all being closed soon. I don't know yet what I'll use the points for, but I do know I would rather have more tickets in economy than fewer in business. Plus, I don't wanna pay tons for ticketing fees, etc. What would be your thoughts in this case?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sshanky
We have about 330k points to move out of MR and we need to move them soon, as the accounts are all being closed soon. I don't know yet what I'll use the points for, but I do know I would rather have more tickets in economy than fewer in business. Plus, I don't wanna pay tons for ticketing fees, etc. What would be your thoughts in this case?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Do you plan to travel within the USA or internationally? If your flights are all in the USA and your city is served by Southwest, that may be the ideal target location for your points. If you like international travel I'd consider Continental. They make redemption reasonably easy, particularly with their partners, and they seem to be charging the fewest fees/surcharges for a straight redemption these days.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by sshanky
sbm12 is accurate as far as SWA is concerned. 330K MR converts to 220 RR credits.

100 RR credits will get you a companion pass, good for free travel for 12 months for your companion traveling with you.

220 RR credits ALSO gets you 13.75 award tickets, good for 1 year from issue (currently can be extended for another year once they expire for $50).

Your companion can travel with you for free when traveling on the aforementioned award ticket.

cost of flight (award or companion) is $5-10 each to cover misc fees.

if you have more than two people traveling on a regular basis, you can split the MR into two SWA accounts, 115k > 110 RR credits each. Then two people can designate "Companions" and two others can travel for free. That would drop the number of award tickets down to 6.875 each.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Another good parking point is SPG. The points are quite valuable there plus can be transfered to many other programs so avoiding your one-way problem.
Originally Posted by singlemalt
Not at a 3:1 transfer rate.
What would people say is a fair trade for Starpoints versus AMR points? This came up in regards to a deal on the Coupon Connection board. I was discussing a possible trade with a person who with felt that Starpoints were worth 1.2 AMR points each. Presumably, that ratio was because 20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 FF miles on many airlines, while 25,000 AMR points give only 25,000 FF miles. However, I tend to think Starpoints are worth more than 1.2 AMR points each, since Starpoints are very valuable for certain hotel bookings (especially in Europe, due to the low dollar.) Any thoughts on the proper Starpoint: AMR ratio?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
Originally Posted by irabk
.....if you have more than two people traveling on a regular basis, you can split the MR into two SWA accounts, 115k > 110 RR credits each. Then two people can designate "Companions" and two others can travel for free. That would drop the number of award tickets down to 6.875 each.
How does one take points from one AMR account and transfer them into two SWA accounts? Don't the names need to match on the accounts?

Actually, what I'd really like to do is take both my and my husband's AMR points, and put them into the same SWA account, to help qualify for a Southwest Companion Pass (which requires 100 RR credits in one year.) Is there a way to do this?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JudyS
How does one take points from one AMR account and transfer them into two SWA accounts? Don't the names need to match on the accounts?

Actually, what I'd really like to do is take both my and my husband's AMR points, and put them into the same SWA account, to help qualify for a Southwest Companion Pass (which requires 100 RR credits in one year.) Is there a way to do this?
Names do not need to match for transfers to other programs; I have no idea whether RR requires it or not. You should be able to do it all online so no need to get a rep involved on the phone to ask too many questions.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:42 pm

Names never need to match when going out of AMEX MR.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Do you plan to travel within the USA or internationally? If your flights are all in the USA and your city is served by Southwest, that may be the ideal target location for your points. If you like international travel I'd consider Continental. They make redemption reasonably easy, particularly with their partners, and they seem to be charging the fewest fees/surcharges for a straight redemption these days.
The issue I found with transferring to a US based airline is that AMR charges a fee (tax?) of $.005 per point transferred (capped at $75). Where as if you transfer to a non-US based airline (like NH), there is no tax.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Where as if you transfer to a non-US based airline (like NH), there is no tax.
But there are fuel surcharges when you redeem from most non-US based carriers.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by dr84
Names never need to match when going out of AMEX MR.
Very helpful; thank you!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:24 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by dgwright99
IMHO, about the best $ value you can get with amex is VS TATL MFU PE=> UC @ ~8cents/point.
Originally Posted by macabus
I found this thread again after trying to figure out the best use for MR points. I was thinking it would be cool that terms that show up in the glossary would automatically be highlighted and linked for n00bs (or not so well versed individuals like myself) could easily get the "translation"...

I think I'm just going to xfer them into Aeroplan and try to get 3 *A carriers to avoid extra fees.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Best Value for 20k MR Points

Due to a job change, I will be cancelling my Amex and therefore my Membership Rewards account. I currently have just over 20k MR points that I need to redeem in the next few days and I really don't have any burning need for anything in particular.

What is the best value for redeeming 20k MR points? I looked at transferring points to HHonors or some other program but none of them seem like that good an exchange rate. Is anyone doing a bonus program for transferred points right now?

If not, it probably needs to be for some sort of certificate like dining or rental cars that I can then redeem over the next few months. Are any of them a greater value than 1 cent per point?

I will probably pull the trigger before the end of the week so any suggestions that anyone has would be welcome.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by youngbru
Due to a job change, I will be cancelling my Amex and therefore my Membership Rewards account. I currently have just over 20k MR points that I need to redeem in the next few days and I really don't have any burning need for anything in particular.

What is the best value for redeeming 20k MR points? I looked at transferring points to HHonors or some other program but none of them seem like that good an exchange rate. Is anyone doing a bonus program for transferred points right now?

If not, it probably needs to be for some sort of certificate like dining or rental cars that I can then redeem over the next few months. Are any of them a greater value than 1 cent per point?

I will probably pull the trigger before the end of the week so any suggestions that anyone has would be welcome.

An airline program is usually 1:1. You could use the miles to upgrade to first class. That's what I would do if I were you.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I see you are a NW PE.. i would personally set up a DL account (if you don't have one already), sign up for the 20% Amex MR transfer bonus, which would turn your 20k into 24k and then transfer them immediately to your NW account -you even get a 500 point bonus when linking your accounts.

You'll end up with 24,500 NW miles.. almost enough for a free domestic ticket.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: IC PLat Elite
with what airline can u use the poitns to upgrade to first class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.