Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:59 pm

Hi,

I have ~125K MR points. Need to transfer them out in about a week, so can't really wait for bonuses. Fly UA mostly out of EWR, so nothing easy to do there.

One option is to get MR --> Virgin --> HHonors in a 1:2 ratio.
Other is to go to Avios.

How should I rate the relative economic value of each? Thanks!

IaLTO
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by IaLTO
Hi,

I have ~125K MR points. Need to transfer them out in about a week, so can't really wait for bonuses. Fly UA mostly out of EWR, so nothing easy to do there.

One option is to get MR --> Virgin --> HHonors in a 1:2 ratio.
Other is to go to Avios.

How should I rate the relative economic value of each? Thanks!

IaLTO
I personally would value 2 Hhonors and 1 Avios approximately equally, with Avios probably having a slight edge. It really depends where you want to go. Avios are good for short-haul trips on what would otherwise be expensive fares, but in general they become less valuable the farther you want to go. In particular, going to Europe will often incur fuel charges large enough that it's totally not worth doing in coach and even in business may cause brow-furrowing.

I would also look at Aeroplan, Singapore, ANA, and possibly Cathay Pacific before making a decision. Aeroplan remains probably the best *A transfer choice in spite of the lack of one-way awards and fuel surcharges on many awards (including on their own metal). SQ and CX offer better award availability to their own members than they do to their partners, so that can be a draw if you have a trip to Asia coming up. ANA is *A but charges hefty fuel charges on most awards; however, if you wanted to fly Virgin Atlantic to London, you'll need fewer MR points if you transfer to NH miles rather than to VS's own program.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Don't hold me to this, but I think Air Canada does not charge fuel surcharges on UA or US flights. They also don't have a transfer tax. And if you can hold out a month (although it sounds like you can't) there is a likely transfer bonus comign up in November.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by taliesin
I personally would value 2 Hhonors and 1 Avios approximately equally, with Avios probably having a slight edge. It really depends where you want to go. Avios are good for short-haul trips on what would otherwise be expensive fares, but in general they become less valuable the farther you want to go.
I would also look at Aeroplan, Singapore, ANA, and possibly Cathay Pacific before making a decision. Aeroplan remains probably the best *A transfer choice in spite of the lack of one-way awards and fuel surcharges on many awards (including on their own metal).
Not sure how many programs I want to spread the miles in. For personal travel, I would typically need 4 tix, so that makes it a little complicated.

That is why i thought of Hhonors - at least consolidates it all (some value in that itself).

Avios sound quite interesting, but would have to go to LGA/JFK for the most part to travel on AA. Rather painful. Not to mention the terrible sky-buses AA runs. On the other hand, less miles needed for the carribean, and no last minute fees. hmm.

Can someone else confirm if Aeroplan charges fuel surcharge (or close in fees) on UA metal? That might be a interesting option as well.

But now i have gone from 2 to 3 options!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
...Air Canada does not charge fuel surcharges on UA or US flights.
Correct
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:25 pm

So there are no more fuel surcharge-free MR partners for Star Alliance anymore? If I'm correct, AC, NH, & SQ all charge fuel surcharges on their award redemption outside of the US.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:29 pm
mia

Originally Posted by infamousdx
... AC, NH, & SQ all charge fuel surcharges on their award redemption outside of the US.
In the case of AC it depends on the carrier operating the flight. Surcharges apply to these operating carriers:

• AC
  • LH
  • NH
  • OZ
  • TG
  • OS
  • LO
  • TP
  • JP
  • SN

...which means that you can (for example) redeem through AC for flights operated by UA or US with no fuel fee.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:31 pm

Thanks, mia!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
with AVIOS you can redeem BOS-DUB for 25kr/t, no fuel surcharge. Getting to Boston can be redeemed with Avios as well, on AA.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:34 pm

Best Use of 50,000 MR Points

My wife has 50,000 Amex MR points that I want to use/transfer before her renewal fee is due. Here is a summary of what we already have accumulated. I have 65,000 MR points, 100,000 BA Avios, 12,000 Delta miles, 7,800 Hawaiian miles, 17,600 US DM and 370,000 HHonors points. My wife also has 7,800 Hawaiian miles and 24,000 UAL miles. Can she transfer her points to my account? Any recommendations would be appreciated
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
What card is your wife cancelling? Does she have any other AMEX card that uses/earns MR points? If so, closing that current AMEX card shouldn't be a problem. Her 50K points will be intact. Just make sure it's an AMEX card that earns MR points and not those from third parties (Hilton, SPG, Delta, etc.).

I haven't read the Hawaiian or United Air lines terms but why does she need to transfer those points also? I assume those points already posted to her airline account? Depending on the terms for those two airlines, my guess is that as long as she's actively flying (maybe one a year or so), those points will remain in her account.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:47 pm
mia

willymy's question has been appended to the established thread on this topic. It may also be worthwhile to review these:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nnual-fee.html
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I got 35K MR points, I usually fly out of DTW and EWR. Looking only to fly within CONUS for vacations. Which airline partner should I transfer to? BA?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by agp423
I got 35K MR points, I usually fly out of DTW and EWR. Looking only to fly within CONUS for vacations. Which airline partner should I transfer to? BA?
I'd say for a speculative transfer BA's probably the best choice. At least you can probably get some good value on short-haul coach routes that way. You might also look at B6 or VX (flying out of JFK), although you probably wouldn't get more than one round-trip out of either of them.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by agp423
The answer might depend on whether AA offers direct flights to your desired destination. BA charges more Avios for connecting flights than for direct flights. Of course, a transfer bonus could offset that.

Another possibility is transferring to Air Canada Aeroplan, and redeeming on UA/US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.