Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:19 am

Hi - I would love some advice on whether there is a better option than Aeroplan. I have about 200k points in Amex MR Canada that I am looking to transfer. (I have another 150k points in Aeroplan) My home airport is YYZ but I can always fly out of anything nearby BUF, JFK, etc. I am looking to book a couple of business seats for a trip to Australia with a stopover in South Africa. I would normally look at Aeroplan for a trip like this with the stopovers, but availability is always brutal. How would some of the other programs compare? Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:41 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
You can try to see if oneworld (BA is a partner) or alitalia or delta has any availability. Also you can move MR->SPG->a ton of other airlines, but it may be a very poor ratio.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Farooqm, you're at a disadvantage as a Canadian Amex cardmember because AC is one of the few (if not the only) airline to which Cdn. MR points transfer 1:1 ! Last I checked, most other airlines are 4 Amex : 3 miles!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by farooqm
Hi - I would love some advice on whether there is a better option than Aeroplan. I have about 200k points in Amex MR Canada that I am looking to transfer. (I have another 150k points in Aeroplan) My home airport is YYZ but I can always fly out of anything nearby BUF, JFK, etc. I am looking to book a couple of business seats for a trip to Australia with a stopover in South Africa. I would normally look at Aeroplan for a trip like this with the stopovers, but availability is always brutal. How would some of the other programs compare? Thanks!
I believe you can only go to PER in Australia if you want to stop in South Africa on the way. The best route would be YYZ-JFK-JNB-PER (no YQ), but the availability is very poor on JFK-JNB. I think you can also go YYZ-GRU-JNB-PER, but you'll pay YQ. Another option might be YYZ-ADD-JNB-PER, but not sure if it's valid - may be over MPM.

If you drop South Africa, then a lot more options open up from YYZ to Australia. You can go via Europe and SIN.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by agp423
Barely topic-related question:

How difficult is it booking UA flights using Aeroplan miles transferred from MR?
Originally Posted by echino
Not difficult. And no fuel surcharge.
And I am assuming you can book one way trips since award redemption would be by UA policies?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by agp423
And I am assuming you can book one way trips since award redemption would be by UA policies?
Aeroplan policies apply. One ways are 67% or RT until the end of the year, and 50% for booking made after Jan.1 2014. No stopovers on one ways.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Read through the last 10 pages and so, and figured I'd throw my question in as well.

I have about 120k points accumulated over the past year from my Amex Biz Plat and I was thinking about renewing but have now decided not to.

Some information:
Located in Hartford,CT and can fly out of BDL, EWR, JFk or BOS.
Primary destination is London.

BUT the twist is that I'd been saving these points to use with KrisFlyer for suite redemption with my girlfriend and since this trip isn't going to happen for another year atleast, I'm very afraid of just parking 120k in a KrisFlyer account.

What do you think? Good idea? Terrible idea?

The other option that I wouldn't mind doing is transferring it to a partner that would let me fly domestic and/or international (to London) with as little surcharges as possible.
__________________________________________________ __________________________

Things that I don't want to do prefer not to do:
-Don't want to transfer to BA. Already have 100k points there that I haven't touched yet. Don't want any more just sitting there.
-Can't fly BOS-DUB to get to London because I'd need a visa for DUB and it's too much hassle.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions!
Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
You can try to see if oneworld (BA is a partner) or alitalia or delta has any availability. Also you can move MR->SPG->a ton of other airlines, but it may be a very poor ratio.
Thanks sahiljain22. Does oneworld, alitalia or delta over similar stopovers for their reward programs like aeroplan?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Farooqm, you're at a disadvantage as a Canadian Amex cardmember because AC is one of the few (if not the only) airline to which Cdn. MR points transfer 1:1 ! Last I checked, most other airlines are 4 Amex : 3 miles!
Thanks Brendan, that is a good point. Do Canadians ever get the transfer bonuses for BA (Oneworld) that I see every so often or is that only for americans?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by echino
I believe you can only go to PER in Australia if you want to stop in South Africa on the way. The best route would be YYZ-JFK-JNB-PER (no YQ), but the availability is very poor on JFK-JNB. I think you can also go YYZ-GRU-JNB-PER, but you'll pay YQ. Another option might be YYZ-ADD-JNB-PER, but not sure if it's valid - may be over MPM.

If you drop South Africa, then a lot more options open up from YYZ to Australia. You can go via Europe and SIN.
Thank you so much echino! I have been looking for this routing info, at least now I know definitively what to search for.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: SQ
Thanks sahiljain22. Does oneworld, alitalia or delta over similar stopovers for their reward programs like aeroplan?
DL is pretty generous with stopovers, but not with availability.

BA doesn't need stopovers since each flight is priced independently, so you can have as many stopovers as you want.

There's always the points.com transfer - 100k Aeroplan to 84k US Airways - but that's most useful for a 90,000 business class award to Asia without surcharges.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: *void
Thanks Brendan, that is a good point. Do Canadians ever get the transfer bonuses for BA (Oneworld) that I see every so often or is that only for americans?
farooqm, there was a 1.5x transfer bonus for Amex MR Canada to British Airways Avios that ended recently, March 31st, 2013. See this thread at RFD for info.

Same 1.5x promo happened about 10 month earlier, in May 2012.

If you can wait, maybe it will come around again within the next year or so.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:13 am

Right now, all I care for is SQ. All my other points (from Chase) goes to United or Hyatt.

MR points to hotel? lol
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by jatink129
Read through the last 10 pages and so, and figured I'd throw my question in as well.

I have about 120k points accumulated over the past year from my Amex Biz Plat and I was thinking about renewing but have now decided not to.

Some information:
---------------------------------
I suggest looking at DL and AC. DL might work very good for US domestic depending on your location and possible destinations. AFAIK Aeroplan doesn't have fuel surcharges on US/UA. You may want to do further research before transferring. Alternatively u can just downgrade your card to a lower/no annual fee card and preserve your points.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by gv111
I suggest looking at DL and AC. DL might work very good for US domestic depending on your location and possible destinations. AFAIK Aeroplan doesn't have fuel surcharges on US/UA. You may want to do further research before transferring. Alternatively u can just downgrade your card to a lower/no annual fee card and preserve your points.
Heard too many bad things to try DL.

I'm considering ANA or Kris for now. Let's see. I still have some time to decide.

Can't downgrade my card, because it's a business card. Is there a business card with no annual fee that I could downgrade to?
I took a look at the site, but didn't see one.

Last edited by jatink129; Jul 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.