Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by ogmios2
Here are my wishes/needs:
- Use for travel
- I have some points with former Continental frequent flyer
- Points that I can hopefully use for international flights (Europe, Caribbean, Africa, Asia)
- MOST IMPORTANT: A way to use the points at later times, without booking anything now

I thought about transferring points to Air Canada/Aeroplan and then later on, try to use them for a Star Alliance partner flight... But, I think that my strategy is flawed and won't allow me to do so.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise and letting me know the smartest way to do so.
What's the flaw? Transferring to an airline program is definitely the best way to go here, and if you want Star Alliance you have your choice between AC, NH and SQ (there are no US-based Star carriers in MR anymore). Check their award charts and pick whoever has the best "prices" for award tickets. My guess is that AC is the best way to go if you're in North America.

Aeroplan requires that you have some activity every 12 months, but that's as simple as buying something in their online mall (or gas at Esso if you happen to be in Canada). Miles do expire after seven years, but that should be enough time to burn through 370k
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: JPMorgan Palladium, AMEX MR, Krisflyer, M&M, United, SPG Gold
If you want to travel on a particular airline, like SQ, it's sometimes best just to transfer directly to them if you have the option. Even if one airline is a star alliance partner of another, that doesn't mean that the former will show the same award availability of the latter that the latter shows for members of itself.

The difference is quite dramatic. I have no trouble finding business seats for even routes like EWR-SIN on the krisflyer engine, for saver miles. It's quite the opposite when searching on NH or even when searching on Aeroplan or UA.

It's also enough to make me accumulate starpoints, since they're both transferable directly to miles and more and singapore airlines, the former contains my preferred carrier for EU travel and the latter for asia travel.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:35 am

AMEX TRF- BA or Delta

Most likely closing my AMEX PLAT this month and need to transfer my 25k points....can't decide whether it would be BA or Delta..

I "think" I prefer BA but hate to transfer as I missed the bonus transfer in May 2012. I was on vacation.

Which is "worth" more?

I have 154k points in Delta and 28k points in BA right now.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
Which is "worth" more?
The missed promotion is irrelevant to the decision. How do you redeem, domestic vs intercontinental, economy vs premium cabin?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by emoose1;
For skyteam, flying blue allows you to book First Class, while Delta doesn't.
I believe you must have status on Flying Blue in order to book First.

Last edited by mia; Aug 15, 2012 at 8:22 am Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:43 am

Canadian MR points

Can someoen please list the airline programs available to Canadian AX MR points?

Is it just CX, DL, and AP!!??

I was under the very wrong impression that there were a dozen or so airlines

Also, Is there a website which lists all Cdn conversion bonuses offered by Amex?

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:50 am
mia

Canadian transfer partners listed here:

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.c...orySearch=true

AC AZ BA CX DL

Hilton, Starwood

Last edited by mia; Aug 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I, too, am really hoping for a bonus promo. I have no relationship with Delta, and don't really want to transfer to them. I have about 90K MR points to move--ideally to BA. I'm LAX based, and LAX > HNL is juicy on BA. I've got a few hundred thousand miles between UA and AA (more on UA, so I'm not hurting for *A points). A few free RTs to Hawaii sound like a great value. My PRG doesn't come up for the annual fee until 2/13, so I have 6 months. I'm hoping to get my MR balance up to 100K, and then transfer to BA. I'm shifting my spend to my new SPG, and plan to cancel my PRG. I'd love a bonus...even 1.25 or 1.33...for some extra juice on the transfer. Hopefully one pops up before next February.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Need to move AMEX points? Where?

Hi folks,

I'm canceling my AMEX card in a week or so. So I have to move my AMEX points somewhere.

I've got a decent amount of Delta Pesos and really don't want to move them there cuz they're so damn hard to use.

Where would folks recommend throwing them? I also have a ton of Chase points so wherever they land I can top up with that.

I primarily use my miles for flying to/from Asia.

Peace,
Ryan
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Need to move AMEX points? Where?

United.
They have the best saver awards to Asia and these are Awards you can actually find unlike Delta or AA.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
My question too. The MR program has lost so much value and diversity over the past year that there is no way I can justify paying $175 per year.Great for earning points but to what end.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
United.
UA has never been a Membership Rewards transfer partner, but there are three other Star Alliance airlines which offer redemptions on the same partners: AC NH SQ

Originally Posted by pssteve
... lost so much value and diversity over the past year
Which partners have left the program since September 2011? Intercontinental Hotel Group and ...?

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2012 at 7:22 am
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Where would folks recommend throwing them? I also have a ton of Chase points so wherever they land I can top up with that.

I primarily use my miles for flying to/from Asia.
Well, there's currently a transfer bonus to BA and they are the only option that is also a transfer partner of UR, so that's probably gonna be the best bet. They are a decent deal for travel between Asia and the West Coast (travel on CX or JL). SQ, CX, and AC are also worth taking a look at, but if you just need to stash them, I'd take advantage of the 40% bonus for transferring to BA.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:49 pm

I'm in the same boat, thinking of transferring to BA. Since BA is a partner of Alaska Airlines, I can use Avios to book a flight from NA to Hawaii with no fuel surcharge? Would the transfer rate be BA's or Alaska's? Also, can I transfer my wife's MR points into my BA account or would it have to go to hers?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sactoroy
Also, can I transfer my wife's MR points into my BA account or would it have to go to hers?
Yes you can. On the MR website when you link a travel partner, put in your BA account and your name correctly. Thereafter, transfer the points and a minute later, check BA website and you'll see the points there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.