40% discount on ShopAmex rewards -- targeted

Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:16 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

40% discount on ShopAmex rewards -- targeted

Anyone else get this email? Is it a good deal? I have always found product prices to be way too high in points.

Save 40% on millions of products when you use Membership Rewards points at ShopAmex -- now through June 30, 2010.

Take advantage of spring savings and use
Membership Rewards points for what you need to
start enjoying the warm weather. ShopAmex lets you use
Membership Rewards points on everything from gardening
tools to a new GPS for all your spring adventures. Browse
an incredible inventory of over 3 million popular products
at leading retailers like Target.com, LL Bean, and
BestBuy and save 40% through June 30, 2010.
Here's the small print:
Terms & Conditions
Offer valid for solicited Card members only. For accounts that qualify, Membership Rewards points will be deducted for the purchase, including estimated shipping/handling and applicable taxes. These transactions are irreversible. A debit for the purchase will be issued by the merchant, and a credit for the purchase will be issued by American Express to the Card account that you have designated for shopAmex transactions. Please note: The debit and credit may not appear on the same billing statement. Card members enrolled in the Membership Rewards First program with any account that is not in good standing are not eligible to redeem points on shopAmex. Products shown are available at the time of printing but are subject to change at any time without notice. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply....
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Bump -- am I really the only reader of this forum who got this? Interesting!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:51 pm

Did not receive anything like that. Even checked my trash folder
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:24 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Is it a good deal?
Price an item elsewhere and divide by the number of points required after the discount. Call us if the answer begins $0.02...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Price an item elsewhere and divide by the number of points required after the discount. Call us if the answer begins $0.02...
Tend to doubt, if I get some time, I'll try it. The last award I cashed in on ANA (HKG-NRT-PVG) yielded an amazing $0.10! Too bad they're not discounting awards like that by 40%.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I didn't get an email. However, when I logged into Shop Amex, I got a box saying a promotion was available:

Congratulations, newbiztraveler
You qualify for 10% off all Membership Rewards point
redemptions on shopAmex. Valid for a limited time.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:15 am
Original Poster

OK, I got around to logging in on the site. MR points are valued at 1/2 cent each against what appears to be the full MSRP. So with a 40% discount, this gets the value of a MR point up to 5/6 of a cent PLUS you have to pay full retail. Pretty useless.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:31 pm

Dragging this thread from the grave...

I never got an email (or at least I didn't see one) but logging into my MR account I see I have the 40% discount until July 2. Not worth it at all.

Pricing a new iPad 16GB is $543.26
After 40% discount cost is 65,139 MR.

That gives a value of 0.83 cents per point. Platinum cardholders used to get a value of 1.25 cents per point without any special promos in the good old days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.