Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Coverage on flight bought w/coupon and gift cards?

Amex Coverage on flight bought w/coupon and gift cards?

Old May 9, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Smile Amex Coverage on flight bought w/coupon and gift cards?

Hi all,

If you buy your Airline tickets with an Amex Platinum, and use a 10% coupon as well as gift cards to reduce the total cost, do you still get the exact same "protection" you would normally get when paying in full from Amex Platinum?

Last edited by david55555; May 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm Reason: forgot to add "Airline" eheh
Old May 11, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I would imagine if you use

10% coupon : no effect

gift cards : voids coverage
Old May 15, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Just thought I would add to this. How about if you use let's say a $100 airline voucher as well? Fare is $500 - $100 (voucher) = $400 charged to AMEX. Would this void coverage? How strict is AMEX in verifying what your total flight cost?
Old May 15, 2012, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by mattolo
Just thought I would add to this. How about if you use let's say a $100 airline voucher as well? Fare is $500 - $100 (voucher) = $400 charged to AMEX. Would this void coverage? How strict is AMEX in verifying what your total flight cost?
I'd imagine "it depends".

$300 in luggage reimbursement will probably be different than a $200,000 life insurance payout.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:31 am

The T&C version that I have states that the entire common carrier fare must be charged to the card. Although I have no anecdotal evidence regarding airlines, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that AmEx denies coverage on rental cars when a coupon is used in conjunction with the rental. I would expect the same logic applies to the other insurance benefits on the card.

Best to contact AmEx with that question, and get the answer in writing...although IMHO the insurance benefits aren't really that stellar to begin with.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:46 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
... get the answer in writing...
I will be very surprised if American Express will write anything to clarify insurance benefits. They don't even provide a copy of the actual policies, only a summary. I would not rely on coverage bundled with any credit card to indemnify against an important risk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.