Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons to keep Amex Delta Reserve

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Reasons to keep Amex Delta Reserve

I am coming up on the $450 renewal fee on my Delta Reserve. I kept it mainly for the Skyclub access, the Amex customer service, and the extended warranty and purchase protection insurance, but the foreign transaction fees do piss me off.

As a million miler I am also a "lifetime silver medallion" on Delta - at least for now - so I do get free checked bags through that.

There doesn't seem to be a good reason to keep this particular card, the options I am mulling over are

a) getting rid of it alltogether (I still have an Amex business card), for a future cost of $0/year
b) downgrading to the Gold version, for a future cost of $95/year
c) switching to Amex platinum, for a future cost of $250/year ($450 fee - $200 in airline credit)

Am I missing something? Can you FTers help me shed some light on the pros and cons of mainly b) and c).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
I am coming up on the $450 renewal fee on my Delta Reserve. I kept it mainly for the Skyclub access, the Amex customer service, and the extended warranty and purchase protection insurance, but the foreign transaction fees do piss me off.

As a million miler I am also a "lifetime silver medallion" on Delta - at least for now - so I do get free checked bags through that.

There doesn't seem to be a good reason to keep this particular card, the options I am mulling over are

a) getting rid of it alltogether (I still have an Amex business card), for a future cost of $0/year
b) downgrading to the Gold version, for a future cost of $95/year
c) switching to Amex platinum, for a future cost of $250/year ($450 fee - $200 in airline credit)

Am I missing something? Can you FTers help me shed some light on the pros and cons of mainly b) and c).
I'd check out Rene's comment about Delta cards on deltapoints. He is of the opinion you can get a new delta personal card or business card every 2 years. I'd cancel the card (assuming you have already called them and told them you are thinking about cancelling and they did not sweeten the pot enough!) and go get the bussiness gold card for free and scoop up 30K miles:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...pply/29790-9-0

By the way, i can vouch that you can "churn" personal cards every so often. I got one when the NWA merger happened, cancelled before the annual fee, and picked it up again about a year later, bonuses each time.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I'd check out Rene's comment about Delta cards on deltapoints. He is of the opinion you can get a new delta personal card or business card every 2 years. I'd cancel the card (assuming you have already called them and told them you are thinking about cancelling and they did not sweeten the pot enough!) and go get the bussiness gold card for free and scoop up 30K miles:

By the way, i can vouch that you can "churn" personal cards every so often. I got one when the NWA merger happened, cancelled before the annual fee, and picked it up again about a year later, bonuses each time.
Don't forget to call for a retention bonus before you cancel the card. I got 30,000 RDM's this year. And yes you can get a new card every 24 months and get the new card bonus!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.