Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Card / Hertz #1 Club Gold

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've got an Amex Plat and it's linked to my Hertz account for the various benefits. I've got three questions:

1. Must I pay with this AX Plat card to receive benefits? On one rez, for ex, the CDP is "PLATINUM CARD FROM AMEX" but the payment cc I selected from my account to "hold" the rez is a Visa. I'm wondering if there will be any issue.

2. Another rez is booked with a check out and check in at 5:30 PM (2 week rental). I need to return at 9:30 PM so wish to invoke the 4-hour grace period. If I try to modify w/ same rate code, rate jumps $10. So do I just leave rez as is and then return 4 hours late? Won't be charged?

3. Rez for this weekend says "canopy" pickup. If I were to be upgraded, would the canopy pickup aisle reflect that upgrade? Or would I have to ask at counter.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If rental qualifies for 4 hour grace it would reflect online. Don't expect upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
If rental qualifies for 4 hour grace it would reflect online. Don't expect upgrade.
According to the T&C of the 4-hour grace period, the rental qualifies. Also according to Hertz CSR on chat, it qualifies, but she also got increased rate. She said to ask at counter, but I'd rather not chance that.

About 2 years ago, I returned a car 3 hours late in Chicago and wasn't charged (I presume b/c of Amex Plat 4-hour grace period). But then I read on a blog that it should, in theory, rate out on online.

When I and CSR put in the code, it increased the rate by $100. The whole thing is screwed up.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've got an Amex Plat and it's linked to my Hertz account for the various benefits. I've got three questions:

1. Must I pay with this AX Plat card to receive benefits? On one rez, for ex, the CDP is "PLATINUM CARD FROM AMEX" but the payment cc I selected from my account to "hold" the rez is a Visa. I'm wondering if there will be any issue.

2. Another rez is booked with a check out and check in at 5:30 PM (2 week rental). I need to return at 9:30 PM so wish to invoke the 4-hour grace period. If I try to modify w/ same rate code, rate jumps $10. So do I just leave rez as is and then return 4 hours late? Won't be charged?

3. Rez for this weekend says "canopy" pickup. If I were to be upgraded, would the canopy pickup aisle reflect that upgrade? Or would I have to ask at counter.
I have found this additional four-hour thing a real plus for this card ... This said, it works a bit mystically, which is to say that depending on how I book, it either is or isn't transparent. For example, a couple of days ago, I did the on-line booking through my account with the AMEX PLAT discount "built-in," and got a confirmation and what-not that essentially showed what would otherwise have been a second day to be only a one-day rental. This is what usually happens, in which case all goes swimmingly. But, this time, for reasons I can only begin to imagine, the guy at the exit gate mumbles something about a two-day rental. Didn't seem like the time or place to debate it -- maybe he understood the 2nd <4hr day was free? -- but I did look at the electronic confirmation sent from gate and, sure enough, I was being hit with 2nd day. When returning, I mentioned this to person checking the car in at lot. They didn't know for nothing, but did hustle me inside to cut the line and see a manager. I waved by Plat card and he took off the 2nd day (did it in some way that saved me even more than I was expecting).

All of which is to say that for a <4hr late return, you may be able to get them to waive the additional cost, but I doubt it will occur automatically. You will probably have to stop by an office.

As to what card to use, I will speculate that at a minimum you are supposed to use some Amex card (by analogy with the insurance program), but as a practical matter the charges for the car are coding in function of the presence of the AMEX PLAT code embedded in your on-line account, and I doubt it is double-checking specific card numbers or types. I just wouldn't want to be asking for some sort of Amex Plat discount face-to-face (as per above) without an Amex card in the card-to-be-charged line.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I have found this additional four-hour thing a real plus for this card ... This said, it works a bit mystically, which is to say that depending on how I book, it either is or isn't transparent. For example, a couple of days ago, I did the on-line booking through my account with the AMEX PLAT discount "built-in," and got a confirmation and what-not that essentially showed what would otherwise have been a second day to be only a one-day rental. This is what usually happens, in which case all goes swimmingly. But, this time, for reasons I can only begin to imagine, the guy at the exit gate mumbles something about a two-day rental. Didn't seem like the time or place to debate it -- maybe he understood the 2nd <4hr day was free? -- but I did look at the electronic confirmation sent from gate and, sure enough, I was being hit with 2nd day. When returning, I mentioned this to person checking the car in at lot. They didn't know for nothing, but did hustle me inside to cut the line and see a manager. I waved by Plat card and he took off the 2nd day (did it in some way that saved me even more than I was expecting).

All of which is to say that for a <4hr late return, you may be able to get them to waive the additional cost, but I doubt it will occur automatically. You will probably have to stop by an office.

As to what card to use, I will speculate that at a minimum you are supposed to use some Amex card (by analogy with the insurance program), but as a practical matter the charges for the car are coding in function of the presence of the AMEX PLAT code embedded in your on-line account, and I doubt it is double-checking specific card numbers or types. I just wouldn't want to be asking for some sort of Amex Plat discount face-to-face (as per above) without an Amex card in the card-to-be-charged line.
Yeah. I hear you. I may just change the rez and suck up the $10. Even if I use the plat to pay for it, I don't want the hassle of having to deal with someone from Hertz when we are trying to get to flight etc. maybe then I can leave the cc as visa. Would rather use visa bc it's a Chase Sapp Reserve that has primary insurance included. With the plat, I pay $20 extra for the premium/primary insurance.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:17 am

My dad is a AMEX Platinum cardholder and rents with Hertz weekly for work. He told me to use the AMEX CDP he uses for an upcoming trip my husband and kids have planned. Can I use the CDP he gave me, even though I'm not an AMEX cardholder?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by jocain486
My dad is a AMEX Platinum cardholder and rents with Hertz weekly for work. He told me to use the AMEX CDP he uses for an upcoming trip my husband and kids have planned. Can I use the CDP he gave me, even though I'm not an AMEX cardholder?
I suppose in the strictest sense, the answer is NO. The CDP is for use by Amex Platinum cardholders only. However, I have never once been asked to produce an Amex Platinum card with my name on it when I collect or return the car. I have also read here that some posters were able to use other form of payment instead of an Amex card.

A legal question did come across my mind as I write this post - whether knowingly use a discount code that you are not eligible to use would constitute fraud - and therefore put your insurance coverage into jeopardy (in case of an accident, for example). I don't know the answer.

Btw welcome to your first post!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:37 am

Has someone tried to get his Amex-Upgrade by just taking a car from a higher class on Ultimate Choice locations? I made a reservation at CLT for a FRAR an I would prefer to drive a Tahoe (FFAR).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by gabenga
Has someone tried to get his Amex-Upgrade by just taking a car from a higher class on Ultimate Choice locations? I made a reservation at CLT for a FRAR an I would prefer to drive a Tahoe (FFAR).
Can't upgrade to or from SUV. From Hertz:

"Upgrades and Coupon Offers

Subject to vehicle availability, one-car-class upgrade is offered at participating Hertz locations in the U.S., Canada and participating European locations with a 2-hour advance reservation. Maximum upgrade is to a Full-size car with a minimum reserved Compact vehicle. For Compact 4-Door rentals, maximum upgrade will be to a Full-Size 4-Door car. Guaranteed upgrade is to the next car class only. This excludes Special Equipment such as Minivans, SUVs, Hertz Adrenaline Collection®, Hertz Green Traveler Collection, Hertz Dream Cars and Hertz Prestige Collection vehicles.

Coupon Offers are valid on Standard Equipment vehicles and are subject to vehicle availability. These Coupon Offers may not be combined with any other offer or discount."
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:03 am

Many thanks for your answer. I found this info there

• A One-car-class upgrade subject to availability, with restrictions in some locations (does not include Prestige collection). See Participating Countries for more details.
The country (US) is not excluded, it´s a coroporate station and the T&C exlude no SUVs.

Maybe this part of the T&C exludes the SUV-upgrade.

To receive the benefits associated with Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership, your Gold membership number must be quoted at the time of reservation. All rentals are subject to all other standard Hertz requirements and terms and conditions of the Hertz rental agreement.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I found this info .
In which country is your American Express card account issued? The benefit terms for cards issued in various countries may differ. The link appears to be terms for cards issued in the UK.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:17 am

I found the same info on the german Amex site. I thought it would be easier to post the english info. I send a message to Amex and asked how I can claim my upgrade. I´ll post the answer here.

Ihre Vorteile:

Upgrade in die nächsthöhere Fahrzeugklasse (sofern verfügbar)

Last edited by gabenga; Jul 6, 2017 at 7:25 am Reason: Added quote from german Amex site.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I found the same info on the german Amex site.....
Very good. I think the rules quoted by Stgermainparis are probably from the USA site, and they may be different. For example, Platinum (USA) does not directly provide Five Star status.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mia
Very good. I think the rules quoted by Stgermainparis are probably from the USA site, and they may be different. For example, Platinum (USA) does not directly provide Five Star status.
According to Hertz, if I'm reading this right, the Plat does provide Five Star:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/hertz...latinum_TU.jsp
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:36 am

That´s correct, but also

• A One-car-class upgrade subject to availability, with restrictions in some locations (does not include Prestige collection). See Participating Countries for more details.
without restrictions on the page you´ve linked.

I´m curious the answer from Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.