Amex Platinum Card / Hertz #1 Club Gold

Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, Flying Blue Gold, Delta Cardboard, SPG Plat (lifetime), SWA A List, Hertz 5*
LAX Today as Five Star

Found out I have Five Star today. Not sure if I received 5 star from Amex Plat in gold profile or rental history last year. But after numerous unrequested minivan assignments in 900 numbered spots (a significant hike from gold canopy), I took a break from Hertz and car rental. I've used Uber Cab on all LAX trips so far this year. But, today I had to rent a car. My gold profile full size with GPS was automatically upgraded to a Mercedes C250 per "carfirmation" email when I landed; no upgrade charge. Nothing like this has ever happened before. Then, I was offered a further upgrade when gawking the really cool cars by Gold area. Four forms of ID later, I had cherry red a 2014 Porsche Cayman, mileage charges waived, and only a $100 up charge/day. That brought the total rental per day to $152+tax/fees/unlimited mileage. I NEVER would have gotten this in previous gold status years. Contract says 5 star, so I have to wonder if this is actually a significant bump up or dumb sunday luck at LAX.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In my opinion, you were just lucky. What you typically get with five star from a midsize would be a camry.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
Does anyone know if you have to pay with your AMEX Plat card to use the discount CDP or can you pay with any credit card?

Would like to use CSP
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You can use any card.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tahoe Travler
Found out I have Five Star today. Not sure if I received 5 star from Amex Plat in gold profile or rental history last year. But after numerous unrequested minivan assignments in 900 numbered spots (a significant hike from gold canopy), I took a break from Hertz and car rental. I've used Uber Cab on all LAX trips so far this year. But, today I had to rent a car. My gold profile full size with GPS was automatically upgraded to a Mercedes C250 per "carfirmation" email when I landed; no upgrade charge. Nothing like this has ever happened before. Then, I was offered a further upgrade when gawking the really cool cars by Gold area. Four forms of ID later, I had cherry red a 2014 Porsche Cayman, mileage charges waived, and only a $100 up charge/day. That brought the total rental per day to $152+tax/fees/unlimited mileage. I NEVER would have gotten this in previous gold status years. Contract says 5 star, so I have to wonder if this is actually a significant bump up or dumb sunday luck at LAX.
Originally Posted by seawolf
In my opinion, you were just lucky. What you typically get with five star from a midsize would be a camry.
During the past 2 years, I have rented about 6~7 times from Hertz and never once received an upgrade with the Gold 5 Star level membership that comes with my Amex The Platinum card.

I think companies are all throwing in the "complimentary upgrade" in their promotion but the excuse has always been that "it's subject to availability". They never have any intention to offer free upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I got free upgrades more than 70% of the time. But I typically rent compacts, so upgrades are easier and "cheaper" for them. One time I got upgrade to a volvo for $10.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:27 am

Does anyone know the process of upgrading an account already Gold to Five Star. I click on the link from Amex Plat but it only has the option of creating a new account not upgrading an existing one.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I had a reservation for Brisbane in July via the Hertz discount on my Aeroplan Platinum card. I discovered that I was overpaying slightly as the booking kept reverting to the higher prepaid rate. I tried calling but after the agent had me on hold for 15+ minutes I hung up. Some of the other car rates were $15,$20,$25/day higher for the prepaid rate which makes no sense, should it not be the OTHER way round????

My wife has a regular Platinum card so I used her account to get Avis preferred.
I got a group P car for $30 less/day. Avis GPS is $5 cheaper/day. And NO prepay. I will NEVER ever consider Hertz again.

There were other issues with Hertz too, 1hr+ wasted on phone calls.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Does anyone know the process of upgrading an account already Gold to Five Star. I click on the link from Amex Plat but it only has the option of creating a new account not upgrading an existing one.
I used Amex Plat to get the upgrade to National Executive, and then followed the instructions at http://offer.hertz.com/offers/index....tatusMatch.jsp to get Hertz to upgrade my existing Gold account to Five Star.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
I got free upgrades more than 70% of the time. But I typically rent compacts, so upgrades are easier and "cheaper" for them. One time I got upgrade to a volvo for $10.
Yes, I used the same tactic. Booked the smallest and cheapest car but has not worked so far.

I have given up and shall just shop around but my experience seems to suggest that the Amex Platinum rate is usually very competitive.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:40 am

Amex Platinum Car Rental Status?

So, I'm really confused on what (if anything) you get with the "status" from Amex Plat in the car rental programs...I just rented a car from Hertz that was purchased with my Plat...the lady made it pretty clear that I don't actually get any status from the plat, she actually (jokingly) called me a "peon" when I inquired about it. We looked at the Plat website together, and it listed "enrollment fee waived" as a benefit...there is no enrollment fee to join Hertz's loyalty program.

I'm not one of those people who thinks I get 1st class seats or any dumb stuff from the Plat, but I did think that I got some status in these rental car programs. Any thought?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold
You get Executive status with National, and Hertz will match that status to their equivalent status.

You have to enroll in National's program and then have AMEX contact them to have them grant you Executive status. Once that has been done, follow this link to have Hertz match it:

http://offer.hertz.com/offers/index....tatusMatch.jsp
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:09 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I used to be a loyal Hertz user, but since getting National Executive status through AMEX, I'm 100% committed to National and their Executive Selection...I've had some amazing cars when booking with them and neve paid for more than a mid-size car...Completely happy.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Universal
You get Executive status with National, and Hertz will match that status to their equivalent status.

You have to enroll in National's program and then have AMEX contact them to have them grant you Executive status. Once that has been done, follow this link to have Hertz match it:

http://offer.hertz.com/offers/index....tatusMatch.jsp
Thanks, I did this today.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jgroll57
... and it listed "enrollment fee waived" as a benefit...there is no enrollment fee to join Hertz's loyalty program.

I'm not one of those people who thinks I get 1st class seats or any dumb stuff from the Plat, but I did think that I got some status in these rental car programs. Any thought?
A legacy from the old "Hertz #1 Gold" days when they charged a fee. I still have the card, which gets me 15% off renting from Toyota in Japan. And they do photocopy the card when I pick up the car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.