FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Has anyone used a points broker? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1343153-has-anyone-used-points-broker.html)

priceline May 5, 2012 10:44 am

Has anyone used a points broker?

They are giving 1.22c per point, which is very good redemption I think. Any one used this before? I searched here and google, didn't get many reviews on them.

Another question on redeeming for travel. Do I have to go through amex site to book my travel? How does it work?

Edit: Only see few search results, the person (also the owner) is trying to promote this site.

mia May 5, 2012 11:43 am

Moderator action

I have removed the name of the points broker from the title of the thread. For now, let's focus on legitimate ways of redeeming the points.

In which country is your American Express card issued? What is the exact name of your card (Blue, Zync, Green, Gold, Platinum etc). On which route and in which class of service do you wish to travel?

priceline May 5, 2012 1:46 pm

USA, Gold card MR points. I have around 90k points to use. I wanted to make sure it is legit.

redtop43 May 5, 2012 2:33 pm

I had one contact with a points broker, and they were offering considerably more than 1.22 cents. I did not do business with them, so I can't say what an actual transaction would have involved.

I am taking a guess that you would get more if you had more points to offer. The way these folks do business is to have you book a ticket for their customer. As we all know, the best (theoretical) redemption opportunities are international business and first class travel, but you don't have enough points for that. This is just a guess though.

There is some risk also, in that if you are "found out" your FF account could get cancelled. However, if you are selling the entire balance of the account, the risk is reduced, in that they can't take away what you don't have.

I doubt you will get much help here finding out who is and isn't legit. The transaction itself is a violation of FF program Terms & Conditions, and FT does not permit discussion of transactions that do. Talking about it in the abstract is one thing, but asking "Is RedTop's Air Ticket Service legit?" is pretty much encouraging or at least facilitating that kind of activity. I suspect there are websites where people can post complaints about businesses, although I don't know the names of any.

sbm12 May 6, 2012 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by priceline (Post 18520439)
I wanted to make sure it is legit.

It is not. Selling your points is a violation of the program T&C.