Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Gold [UK] Lounge Access?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by reclusive46
They expire. So you'll only have two free to use.
Great, thanks
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
Question Amex Gold Lounge Club - using it after card expired?

I currently have an Amex Gold Rewards charge card (UK) which comes with a Lounge Club membership and two free lounge visits. I will only keep the Amex until October, which according to T&C means that the Lounge Club membership would expire.

However, the expiry date on the Lounge Club card itself is some time in 2016. What would happen if I try to gain entrance in, say, November this year? I am by no means a regular lounge-visitor, so I do not know the procedures, but I would not think that the cards get scanned every time. I can imagine though, that they take the card details and try to get the money from Amex.

So, in a scenario in which I am somehow allowed to enter the lounge, and my membership details are taken, is there something that Amex can realistically do to me? Or would nobody care? I've seen similar posts about PP, but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with LC.

Sorry if the question sounds ridiculous!

Last edited by XmaX; Jun 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by XmaX
I currently have an Amex Gold Rewards charge card (UK) which comes with a Lounge Club membership and two free lounge visits. I will only keep the Amex until October, which according to T&C means that the Lounge Club membership would expire.

However, the expiry date on the Lounge Club card itself is some time in 2016. What would happen if I try to gain entrance in, say, November this year? I am by no means a regular lounge-visitor, so I do not know the procedures, but I would not think that the cards get scanned every time. I can imagine though, that they take the card details and try to get the money from Amex.

So, in a scenario in which I am somehow allowed to enter the lounge, and my membership details are taken, is there something that Amex can realistically do to me? Or would nobody care? I've seen similar posts about PP, but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with LC.

Sorry if the question sounds ridiculous!
If you were in a store, would you pick something up and take it if there was a pretty good chance of getting away with it and you knew the store could claim on an insurance policy? Ethics somehow are very scrambled.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by XmaX
...the expiry date on the Lounge Club card itself is some time in 2016.
This is not important. Soon after you close your American Express card account they will notify Priority Pass that the payment card linked to your Lounge Club card is invalid and the Lounge Club card will not work when swiped.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by mia
This is not important. Soon after you close your American Express card account they will notify Priority Pass that the payment card linked to your Lounge Club card is invalid and the Lounge Club card will not work when swiped.
Of course. My question is, what would happen in a rare instance in which a card is not scanned, but just the details are taken?

Not that I am planning to do that, anyway - no lounges at the airports I fly to!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Someone posted on my site recently that they DID manage to use their 2 free visits after they had cancelled Gold.

It may be that, as long as the free visits are still loaded, the system does not bother checking if the credit card behind it is still valid.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Someone posted on my site recently that they DID manage to use their 2 free visits after they had cancelled Gold.

It may be that, as long as the free visits are still loaded, the system does not bother checking if the credit card behind it is still valid.
I would have thought 2 free visits are an entitlement to the card holder regardless of when the card is cancelled and remain an entitlement for the duration of the card. Unless of course it is cancelled within a matter of weeks from sign-up.

If I recall, the customer has to show both the Lounge Club card and the AMEX upon entering the lounge - if so, if both cards are within expiry date I reckon entry will be granted.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No, you do not need to show the Amex.

The Lounge Club card rules say that the card is automatically cancelled if there is not a valid credit card on file. Once you have cancelled your Gold, there is no valid card on file so the Lounge Club card should no longer work (and you cannot ring them and substitute a different card!). As I said, though, it does seem to still work for the 2 free visits.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:14 am

Just reporting back that I was denied entry to LGW lounges trying to use my Lounge Club card. I cancelled my AMEX Gold about 4 months ago. The lounge staff politely asked me to check with my bank provider if there was a problem with my card.

Fair enough - no complaints.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:32 am

Hi, Does anyone know if you can pre-book lounge access with your lounge club card to use your free visits?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, AA
Anyone know how soon after applying for the Amex Gold Card you get the Lounge Club membership access? I have a flight at the end of this month and was wondering if I'll be able to get membership in time if I apply for the Amex Gold today? Do you have to physically have the card or is the membership number enough? Just wondering on the off chance really.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
You'll need the physical Lounge Club card but I think they normally arrive reasonably speedily. You could always get onto Amex CS as soon as your main card arrives to try and speed things along.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:52 am

Very slightly off-topic, but if you sign up for a Gold card, receive the 22,000 MRs, cancel it, wait 6 months and then reapply for the card again, will you still have the £125 fee waived? Ie does it count as a new "first year" or is the offer only ever available for genuinely new customers? I think the T&Cs on the Amex website are a bit ambiguous:

"The first year fee waiver is only available to new American Express Charge Cardmembers. A customer is not considered a new Charge Cardmember if they hold or have held in the last 6 months another American Express Charge Card."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
If you wait over six months and are eligible for the sign-up bonus again then you'll get it fee-free again.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:11 am

Great, thanks for confirming. Seems too good to be true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.