Do I lose the signup bonus if return takes me under min spend?

Subscribe
So I got the AMEX plat and the minimum spend was 3k. Met that and got to about 6k with a $4000 spend. The $4000 was refunded to me, but I've already gotten the 50k.

I don't think AMEX would take away the 50k, but does anyone have any experience with this?
You can transfer points out and then return... hehe. I'm not sure if that's possible though. Or spend the points and be left with a negative balance.
No personal experience here, but why risk it? They probably won't, but they would perfectly be within their right to do so and then you would lose the opportunity to earn the bonus again.
Normally not a problem, but got 16k in spend to meet for latest churn...
Has your statement closed yet? If so, is the 6K points showing pending or have they posted to your acct along with the 50K? It reads in assumption that the statement has not closed yet as you have not mentioned a payment due.
In the least, the 4K return will negative out of your account when the (next) statement closes. I'm sure you can handle the 4K loss but would prefer not to lose the entire 50K spend bonus.

Anyone else with experience on spend bonus sticking after returns?
Similar experience with the PRG annual 15K spend bonus for 30K if return might help OP.
Quote: Has your statement closed yet? If so, is the 6K points showing pending or have they posted to your acct along with the 50K? It reads in assumption that the statement has not closed yet as you have not mentioned a payment due.
In the least, the 4K return will negative out of your account when the (next) statement closes. I'm sure you can handle the 4K loss but would prefer not to lose the entire 50K spend bonus.

Anyone else with experience on spend bonus sticking after returns?
Similar experience with the PRG annual 15K spend bonus for 30K if return might help OP.
The statement has not closed yet, I think I have another 4-5 days. I'll probbaly end up using Amazon Payments or something just to make sure, but I'll wait a few weeks to see how AMEX treats this. Maybe they'll take back the bonus now or maybe they'll take it back after three months? I will risk the first, not the second to create a data point
Quote: So I got the AMEX plat and the minimum spend was 3k. Met that and got to about 6k with a $4000 spend. The $4000 was refunded to me, but I've already gotten the 50k.

I don't think AMEX would take away the 50k, but does anyone have any experience with this?
They do point-adjust based on spend, but I've never heard of a threshold bonus being clawed back (which is what this is generally referred to as in the FF community ).
Quote: .... I'll probbaly end up using Amazon Payments or something just to make sure...
If you mean you're going to use this to pay yourself you'd better be careful...a lot of people around here have been getting an Financial Review and/or getting their accounts closed for using amazon, paypal, etc to do pseudo-cash advances.
Quote: If you mean you're going to use this to pay yourself you'd better be careful...a lot of people around here have been getting an Financial Review and/or getting their accounts closed for using amazon, paypal, etc to do pseudo-cash advances.
Ive already been hit with a FR when I first opened an AMEX. They could do it again, but doesn't look likely. Besides, I use AP to send money for rent, not to pay myself
What would happen in this scenario?

Few thousand short of meeting spend for the promotion. I charge a fully refundable airline ticket to meet the spend, flight would be several months away.

I get statement, pay in full what is owed. Earn the spending/bonus points.

A few months later, I cancel the ticket and get the refund credited back to card.

Will they take away the bonus points at that point? what if the bonus points have already been used and transferred to another program?

Would they cut a check for the amount that my account has in credit at that point? Or would I just have credit to "charge down" over the ongoing months?

Thanks!!
Why risk all the hassle if you've got the money to pay the bill in full anyways? Prepay your bills for the next three months. Or whatever grocery store you shop at, go buy $2k in gift cards from them. All will result in spending no more money than you would've spent, and meeting the minimum spending. If I ever want to expedite getting a bonus (aka get a new card on the 10th, statement closes on the 20th) I'll just go buy Kroger GC's right off the bat. It may take us 3 months to use the cards, but the result is no additional spending.
I accidently did this with my amex hhoners bonus. Was refunded before points posted, and as such i didn't meet the spend and didn't get the bonus.
I have had large purchases that were made to meet minimum spend requirements returned on a variety of cards. Sign up bonuses were NEVER reversed on any of them.
your points are usually pending, so the return might subtract it from pending
Quote: I have had large purchases that were made to meet minimum spend requirements returned on a variety of cards. Sign up bonuses were NEVER reversed on any of them.
I can second that - so far Chase/ AMEX have not clawed back the bonus points. They only clawed back the regular points. Very fair IMHO.

They stress about purchases in the T&C i.e. make this amount of purchases. It's not mentioned when refunds hit your account - many can be very legitimate.

However I still try to avoid it.