Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by islandguy84
Hmm, didn't have this issue about being ineligible for offer when we applied a few months ago. We were instantly approved. It could be as you're not the primary on the MS account.

If that doesn't work, why not just have your wife apply and have her add you as an authorized user given that the second card is free?
Might try this, but was hoping not to waste the hard pulls. :/

EDIT: Finally after the third request and offer to conference call, approved! I don't know what happened.

Last edited by econjon; Sep 17, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:38 am

Talking Global Entry Fee Credit

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
I can't tell from browsing the small print, but does anyone know if this card has the GlobalEntry credit like the regular plat card?
You get a $100 credit when you use the card to pay for your Global Entry membership for the TSA Pre-check. It's valid for 5 years.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by comptalk
MS brokerage account is no longer available. You need to either be part of Wealth Management or have an Active Assets Account. Both have net worth requirements.
I talked to my advisor and he said there are several options.

1) Can open a specific type of 529 college savings account for as little as $25. There's no annual fee if you do that. So you can open one where you are the owner to get the card and have it be for the benefit of our kids, grandkids, or even yourself I guess.

2) Can open an Active Asset Account, it's basically a checking/investment account. There is a $150 annual fee and minimum of $25,000 across all your account.

3) Or a fee-based account with a quarterly cost amount based on invested money. That's what I have for my old 401k that I put into an IRA. $25k min.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Already have AMEX Plat. MSSB Wealth Mgmt customer. My MSSB Adviser's assistant got AMEX on the phone with us, we both provided needed info for the application and got approval in 25 seconds.

I'll get everything transferred over from my existing account later in the week.

Good job AMEX and MSSB.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by vernazza
I talked to my advisor and he said there are several options.

1) Can open a specific type of 529 college savings account for as little as $25. There's no annual fee if you do that. So you can open one where you are the owner to get the card and have it be for the benefit of our kids, grandkids, or even yourself I guess.

Can you give a little more information on the 529 plan that MSSB offers? I don't seem to be able to find information on their website about it. Can anyone open a 529 account with them?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by anks329
Can you give a little more information on the 529 plan that MSSB offers? I don't seem to be able to find information on their website about it. Can anyone open a 529 account with them?
From what I understand, anyone can open up a 529. There's many differnet 529 accounts that MS offers. Individual states oversee the 529 plans but you don't have to be a resident of that state. They have differerent minimums, but at least one state can be set up with only $25 (Illionois 529).

Last edited by mia; Sep 24, 2013 at 6:14 am Reason: Remove contact information for MS employee
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:43 pm

Looks to me like the Illinois 529 is managed by Oppenheimer, not MS. Does anyone else know of a good way to get a qualifying MS account? (or if a MS account isn't actually, in practice, required?)
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:12 am

For anyone who is curious, I tried to apply for this card using the online link. It did not ask me to supply a MS account number, so I gave it a whirl. After several days, I was denied, but not told why--the link on the application status page said my account couldn't be loaded. I'm assuming it's because they actually took the trouble to see if I was indeed a MS brokerage account holder.
I applied the next day for the Mercedes AMEX plat, and was instantly accepted.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
I would think your companies coordinator could get you a card. Maybe you have a small business account, I thought it was pretty easy to get an additional card. However, if it's a large cap company (which it may be due to your title) it might be a bit harder, but I would certainly think possible.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
I used to have a MS brokerage account

Originally Posted by Chalky White
My mom's MS financial adviser calls her up today and wants her to open a Plat card. Says that the funds will be withdrawn from her MS investment account at the end of every month to pay the plat card bill.

I have the morgan stanley plat card but I have to send in a payment every month--anyone heard of the arrangement where the funds are auto withdrawn from your investment account ?
this is typically how it works. Problem is, it is SO easy to rack up charges when things are auto-paid. Nevertheless, I would like to reopen. Certainly not with my last Acct. rep. He lost me 40K as neither of us was watching the account carefully. Unless you have 2-5MM don't have anyting other than a cash management account (I think they call it active assets) with cash in it. They are not IMHO organized for accounts less than that. You are on your own or they assign you to a broker who churns your account. Just my opinion and experience.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
American Express Platinum MB -> MS questions

I currently have the Mercedes Benz version and planning to switch to the Morgan Stanley version (yes I meet the Smith Barney requirement).

1) Can I signup for a new card (to get the 50,000 point signup bonus) or do I have to call in to make a switch (and persumely would not get the signup bonus)?

2) The Mercedes Benz card won't make anniversary til April (so the card fee is already prepaid til April). If open a new MS card and close the MB card, would I get a pro-rated refund?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I would simply apply for the Morgan Stanley card, and cancel the existing account after the new one is issued. American Express will automatically issue a prorated refund of the unearned annual fee, you won't even need to ask.

I see nothing in the Morgan Stanley terms which should preclude earning the bonus:

To qualify for 50,000 points, you must make purchases on your Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley Account that total $1,000 or more within your first three months of Card Membership. 50,000 points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® program account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account. Cash advances, balance transfers, fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards or purchases of other cash equivalents do not apply towards the spend requirement. To receive the bonus points, account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time the bonus points are posted to your account. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program terms apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I inquired about what options I have to keep my points and downgrade the card. The three reps I talked to said that the Morgan Stanley card has no options to keep your points going if you cancel this card as they said its considered a specialty card and not linked to the other cards even the Green card equivalent offered by Morgan Stanley.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
I know employer sponsored accounts don't qualify according to the terms but has anyone been approved with only that type of account?

I was thinking about trying it. On the other hand it may not be too difficult to open an approved account as a secondary.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ktremor
I inquired about what options I have to keep my points and downgrade the card. The three reps I talked to said that the Morgan Stanley card has no options to keep your points going if you cancel this card as they said its considered a specialty card and not linked to the other cards even the Green card equivalent offered by Morgan Stanley.
Just to clarify: when you have a Morgan Stanley AMEX card, are the Membership Rewards points kept under a separate MR account number? I would prefer to pool my points together into one account with my existing points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.