Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 18, 12, 12:00 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 757
When is the last day to avoid the renewal annual fee?

for amex platinum opened last Feb.
apollo_liumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 3:11 am   #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: HKG/BKK/MNL
Programs: SPG
Posts: 1,218
Not sure but it's a moot point because they generally give you a pro-rated refund if you cancel mid-term.

Like if you just paid 450 USD in February 2012 for the coming 12 months and you cancel in March 2012 you don't lose the 450 USD. You will get a refund of $412.50.
forumpersona999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:25 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors
Posts: 335
Just check to see when you were 1st changed the $450 annual fee for opening the account and it should be exactly 1 year later. You should be able to review all transactions in 2011.

I got the card and was charged annual fee on 1/12/11 and they told me I would be charged next fee on 1/12/12. But I canceled on 1/11/11!
canesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:51 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 93
Smile

Now that is a trick!
Been following this board for ages, finally decided to join.
csol47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 3:45 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumpersona999 View Post
Not sure but it's a moot point because they generally give you a pro-rated refund if you cancel mid-term.

Like if you just paid 450 USD in February 2012 for the coming 12 months and you cancel in March 2012 you don't lose the 450 USD. You will get a refund of $412.50.
I'm not sure that this is accurate. While Amex does provide a prorated refund, I'm fairly sure that cancelling immediately after the fee is charged would result in a complete reversal of the fee. For Chase, I think the period you have to cancel is 30 days, but with Amex it's less clear. I think it's longer than 30 days, and depends on the statement closing date, but I wasn't able to decipher what the customer service rep told me about this.

Does anyone know for certain, if my $450 fee is charged on, say, February 15th, exactly when I must cancel to have the fee fully reversed?
pdxflyerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:11 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHL
Programs: PC PlatAmb, Hilton Gold, US Silver
Posts: 334
Ultimately it doesn't matter.

They will send you a notice with your statement that you are being charged the next year's renewal. Included with this is a note that you can call anytime before paying your bill and cancel your card without having to pay any part of the fee.

Just wait until you get this notice and call immediately. You won't get billed extra and you don't need to try and figure out anything.
javacodeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 12, 8:31 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by javacodeguy View Post
Ultimately it doesn't matter.

They will send you a notice with your statement that you are being charged the next year's renewal. Included with this is a note that you can call anytime before paying your bill and cancel your card without having to pay any part of the fee.

Just wait until you get this notice and call immediately. You won't get billed extra and you don't need to try and figure out anything.
I'm not worried about getting billed extra - I'm trying to keep my Platinum benefits as long as humanly possible without paying an additional, second year fee (and understand when that will be when booking flights now). Are you saying the last day to refund the fee is the day your first statement that includes the fee is due?
pdxflyerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 12, 8:35 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (on a slow slide from DM) & proud KM!, UA kettle (former 1K/PP)
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxflyerguy View Post
I'm not worried about getting billed extra - I'm trying to keep my Platinum benefits as long as humanly possible without paying an additional, second year fee (and understand when that will be when booking flights now). Are you saying the last day to refund the fee is the day your first statement that includes the fee is due?
That might be the last date, but it might be later. When I cancelled my DL Reserve Amex card (I know it's a different card, but it *may* be the same principal) Amex told me that I had up to two months to cancel and get a full refund of the fees. After that, the fees would be pro-rated.
flymonthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 12, 2:33 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by javacodeguy View Post
Ultimately it doesn't matter.

They will send you a notice with your statement that you are being charged the next year's renewal. Included with this is a note that you can call anytime before paying your bill and cancel your card without having to pay any part of the fee.

Just wait until you get this notice and call immediately. You won't get billed extra and you don't need to try and figure out anything.
+1

And this is the same for Blue, Skymiles, Additional Cardholders Etc. In 30+ years of various AMEX cards, never an issue.
jsnydcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 12, 2:33 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bellingham, WA
Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post

I got the card and was charged annual fee on 1/12/11 and they told me I would be charged next fee on 1/12/12. But I canceled on 1/11/11!
You cancelled the day before you got it? That's an amazing trick. Sorry had to point it out.
jandersinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 12, 12:45 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,092
When will annual fee be due?

I applied for my AMEX Platinum Card on July 31, 2011. What is the latest date I can cancel without paying the annual fee of $450?
metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 12, 3:42 pm   #12
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Body in BDA and RDU, heart in YYZ
Programs: US Gold
Posts: 2,236
You may want to call Amex. I think that if you cancel, you get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee.
redtop43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 12, 6:02 pm   #13
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,099
Moderator action

I have added metoo's question a recent discussion of the same question which should prove helpful.
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 12, 9:00 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 135
I just cancelled my Business Platinum card. At least for that card it was 60 days after renewal. Received my entire $395 back. Dumped the card when my grandfathering went away, and more importantly the additional card went from $200 to $300. Went to personal card, 3 additional cards for $175 vs 1 for 300. What was AMEX thinking?
wesheltonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 6:59 pm   #15
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 467
I was billed the $450 renewal fee for my personal platinum card in March. I emailed Amex to find out how late I could cancel and still receive a full refund. The response I received was 3 months from the month when the annual fee was billed--in this case the June billing period.
NauticalWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:44 pm.