Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Membership Rewards to United Airlines? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Rewards to United Airlines? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:57 pm

I think there are two questions being asked: Which *A airline should I fly and which *A should I transfer my miles to in order to book an award?

They are really different questions. The first turns on things like routes, availability, and taxes. The second is a bit less complicated and turns on the award charts for partner redemptions on the three Amex MR transfer partners. For example (I'm ballparking here to explain the concept, my numbers might be off a bit), ANA has a distance based chart, so you'd spend about 43,000 miles to fly 2,001 to 4,000 miles in business, but 63,000 miles to fly between 4,001 and 7,000 miles. AC charges based on zone. So, if you wanted to book EWR to LON to EWR, you could potentially save some miles by transferring Amex to ANA instead of UA, because it clocks in at under 7,000 miles (I think). Similarly, AC charges fewer miles for roundtrip travel to Western Europe (90k in biz), but charges a premium for one-way awards (60k for one-way). I don't think ANA allows one-ways, but does allow multiple stops. SQ is a big mystery to me. I just am not familiar with it, but you don't hear too many people talking about transferring Amex to SQ to book *A awards, so I assume that at least for many routes the award chart is not too favorable. Finally, you need to know about transfer times from Amex to each of the three. I know transfers to AC are fast, but I think I've read that transfers from Amex to ANA are not always instant -- which could be an issue if availability disappears.

Last edited by lkar; Jul 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm Reason: Clarification and typos
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes, Ikar. That is the type of information I am after. There are so many different award charts, based on different criteria, it is tough to know which program to be looking at.

Once I know which airline program is best for my specific route (DAY or ORD travel to BKK), I can handle the searches for flights and put the trip together. Just hard to know what is the best use of the MR points...

Is there a general idea which program is best for First Class award travel from USA to South East Asia? Best meaning the lowest amount of Amex MR points needed for the trip....

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There are so many different award charts, based on different criteria,
Perhaps not. The award chart is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the carrier which operates the route. If you wish to redeem for travel on Star Alliance you need only look at the AC and NH charts to begin.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hi Mia. Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a preference for Star Alliance. I am a 1k with United and have experienced many of the *A airlines...in fact, as there is no mileage accrual anyway, it might be fun to try out a different alliance. My preference is to get the stated First Class trip (USA to Bangkok) with the least amount of Amex MR points.

If no one chimes in with any opinions, I will just have to dig into each of the airlines programs to see which requires the least points for this trip. I just thought someone would have already been down this path and would be willing to share their knowledge.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:29 pm

It's one of the cool things about Amex -- you can figure out the best way to use your points after you find what you want.

The approach I'vetaken is to sort of group my education into frequent flier miles and awards by alliance. I started with star alliance. First, learning routes, different options to different continents, stopover rules, etc. Then I moved on to figuring out the best way to find availability on various routes and how to book tickets, with or without tax, etc. Then I moved on to one world and did something similar. I still haven't done much with sky team -- it's a bit more of a mystery to me.

Once you think you have a handle on things, something changes and you get thrown off -- British Airways changes its structure completely and throws a monkey wrench into your analysis. Or, Aeroplan goes on a week bender where tons of star alliance options open up at heavily discounted rates for reasons I think people still don't understand (happened about a year ago). Or Amex gives a 50 percent bonus on transfers to X program, and all of the sudden you're in the position of trying to figure out "will I be able to use those miles" instead of "I know what I want, to whom should I transfer"?

Sometimes there are short cuts or easy answers, but there are always nuances. For example, one can say, perhaps, US to EU in a great F product for four people booking less than 11 month out is most likely to be available on British Airways, albeit with high taxes. One can state simple truisms like that, but really you're doing yourself a disservice to just rely on them, instead of simply learning what you can and then giving yourself maximum flexibility when it comes time to book your ticket. What if Amex has a bonus on transfers to Iberia that month, and you weren't aware that Iberia can transfer to BA through Avios? Etc., ad infinitum.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by apk123
I thought UA saved some seats on its flights to its own mileage program members?
They have some saver award fares/seats that are available only to high-level elites, but not others (members or non-members).
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:47 am
Suspended

my sister is about to cancel her amex PRG and amex golz biz card but has 10k points, any bonus transfer ? airline or hotel?
thanks
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No current transfer bonuses:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hi Mia. Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a preference for Star Alliance. I am a 1k with United and have experienced many of the *A airlines...in fact, as there is no mileage accrual anyway, it might be fun to try out a different alliance. My preference is to get the stated First Class trip (USA to Bangkok) with the least amount of Amex MR points.

If no one chimes in with any opinions, I will just have to dig into each of the airlines programs to see which requires the least points for this trip. I just thought someone would have already been down this path and would be willing to share their knowledge.
Since you want to fly in F, there really aren't that many to look at for your particular route: BA/IB (same award chart, but IB may have lower YQ), SQ, AC, and NH. AF are exorbitant for first class, and DL and AZ you can't even do it. I don't think any of the other transfer options can get you there at all. Offhand I'd say the best options are probably SQ or transferring to AC and flying TG.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Txfering to UA miles

Hey guys,

I have about 60k MR that I'd *love* to ideally move over to UA where I already have another 60 miles. UA have probably the best mile redemption that I've seen out there.

Every one of the 'pass thrus' that I've looked at ends up converting my 60 MR into about 12K UA miles which is less than ideal. Any thoughts on how I can do this? Aside from someone doing a physical swap? (Can this even be done, or arranged anywhere?)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:56 am

Sorry. No work around or secret tips can make make this better.

You are better off transferring to another Star Alliance airline within the MR network, and then redeeming for UA flights (or another *A carrier). Use your UA miles one-way, and the other *A carrier for the return.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
That's what I was thinking. I need to get from NYC (any) to LCA, ideally in J or F via miles.

One-way, via UA (operated by OS) is 50,000 miles and $0. Pretty much none of the airlines I've looked up to transfer miles to will show anything for the return. I was looking at Aeroplan, but they want 70,000 for the return flight and $200. It's workable, but r/t via UA would have been 100k. Trying to save on that 20k miles.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: all
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Hey guys,

I have about 60k MR that I'd *love* to ideally move over to UA where I already have another 60 miles. UA have probably the best mile redemption that I've seen out there.

Every one of the 'pass thrus' that I've looked at ends up converting my 60 MR into about 12K UA miles which is less than ideal. Any thoughts on how I can do this? Aside from someone doing a physical swap? (Can this even be done, or arranged anywhere?)
You could transfer to aeroplan. they have a pretty similar chart as united.

you could swap the miles with a friend who has miles on chase card (UR).
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:20 pm

MR to MileagePlus

What's the best way to transfer MR points to UA MileagePlus? Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
There is no best way, forget it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.