Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Has anyone ever tried buying points instead of a gift card and had the credit reimbursed?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:57 pm
jhn

Not sure but it says the points are bought through Points.com which I think would disqualify it with the Amex offer.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:22 pm

Ordered a $200 one with my platinum tonight around 6pm and I never got a confirmation of the order email or the gift card sent to me. It is showing as pending on amex though. Anyone had issues with their orders in the last day or two? They usually come pretty quickly.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Macosty
Ordered a $200 one with my platinum tonight around 6pm and I never got a confirmation of the order email or the gift card sent to me. It is showing as pending on amex though. Anyone had issues with their orders in the last day or two? They usually come pretty quickly.
I also did not receive two gift cards (2x$100) I purchased for myself last night. However I did receive two that someone else sent to me.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Macosty
I also did not receive two gift cards (2x$100) I purchased for myself last night. I neglected to write down the order numbers also (assuming I would get an email receipt) so not sure how to resolve this with SW now.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by D_C_B
I also did not receive two gift cards (2x$100) I purchased for myself last night. I neglected to write down the order numbers also (assuming I would get an email receipt) so not sure how to resolve this with SW now.
having the same issue, ordered last night no email but i see the pending charges on my amex. i guess that makes me feel better that it's not just me cuz i thought i emailed it to the wrong person
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by D_C_B
...so not sure how to resolve this with SW now.
You don't need to do anything unless the pending transaction posts. At that point you can contact Southwest to trace the missing email, but if it doesn't post you simply need to start again.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:33 pm

I contacted their twitter dept and they said they have been closed since the 29th and are behind and they should come out tonight sometime - I guess we will see.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:36 pm

Waiting for a datapoint to come in on gift cards purchased in 2017.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:53 pm

Southwest $100 gift cards - dead

Update – bought two gift cards on Southwest for $100 each. None qualified for credit. The cat is out of the bag. Called up Amex – they said Southwest gift card purchases do not qualify for travel credit.

2017 has been enlightening in that be careful buying into what the travel bloggers flog to death.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveler1508
Update – bought two gift cards on Southwest for $100 each. None qualified for credit. The cat is out of the bag. Called up Amex – they said Southwest gift card purchases do not qualify for travel credit.

2017 has been enlightening in that be careful buying into what the travel bloggers flog to death.
Not sure why you would call... that gave it away. And when did you purchase? The 1st was two days ago. It's a little early for the charge to post to your account.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:31 pm

Purchased on 1st January. Charges posted to my account this morning. No reimbursement triggered - unlike what happened with United MPX in the past (charge posts and reimbursement occurs at same time).
Called because I did not get reimbursed for it and wanted to see if calling may fix an error.
The real folks giving it away are those posting it in public on their blogs.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by worldtraveler1508
Purchased on 1st January. Charges posted to my account this morning. No reimbursement triggered - unlike what happened with United MPX in the past (charge posts and reimbursement occurs at same time).
Called because I did not get reimbursed for it and wanted to see if calling may fix an error.
The real folks giving it away are those posting it in public on their blogs.
For me it took a couple of days after posting for the credits to appear. They could very well still appear for you as well.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
For me it took a couple of days after posting for the credits to appear. They could very well still appear for you as well.
Well that is heartening to know. Thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
My credit shows posted two days after the charge, but, I could not see it until the third day, so get back with us tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.