Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
AMEX needs to up their game on this credit. With the $250 any airline credit/best PP out there/4th night free/actual category bonuses the Citi Prestige is becoming my favorite card.

I hate the guessing game on whether or not this damn AMEX credit will post or not.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:43 pm

If I buy Earlybird with my ticket purchase and then cancel my flight - will I get Earlybird fee back?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:59 pm

$100 Gift Card purchased August 26 never reimbursed. Oh well, on the bright side at least the card never expires and I live near their main hub in Dallas. Shouldn't be too hard to find a way to actually use it. Beats selling it on cardcash.com for $75.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by csyoung49
AMEX needs to up their game on this credit. With the $250 any airline credit/best PP out there/4th night free/actual category bonuses the Citi Prestige is becoming my favorite card.

I hate the guessing game on whether or not this damn AMEX credit will post or not.
Actually, I use my prestige card for most travel stuff. They give you 3X on air travel and hotels, 2X on dining & entertainment; Plat card not so much. Mainly I use the plat card for Delta lounge, GoGo Internet, Boingo and Amex Offers. That's pretty much it. It's not worth $450.

I'm waiting for a month to go by than if I'm NOT reimbursed, goodbye plat!

Last edited by lbotez; Sep 24, 2015 at 9:52 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
Actually, I use my prestige card for most travel stuff. They give you 3X on air travel and hotels, 2X on dining & entertainment; Plat card not so much. Mainly I use the plat card for Delta lounge, GoGo Internet, Boingo and Amex Offers. That's pretty much it. It's not worth $450.

I'm waiting for a month to go by than if I'm reimbursed, goodbye plat!
I'm doing something similar.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:18 pm

This is so frustrating. I got my card in June and procrastinated on trying out the credit. Bought a $100 card on August 31, still no credit and starting to seem like they may have just stopped refunding them. Damn, it makes this card significantly a worse value for me.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I would hold on. I have a number of early boarding $12.50 charges that are actually legit reimbursable items and have not been reimbursed. I did a chat with Amex and they said if credits are not posted by 4 weeks, chat back or call and they will manually post.
I also have gift cards on another Amex Plat, but the unreimbursed $12.50 EB charges lead me to think it is actually a wait 4 weeks for posting situation.
Also, I buy $40 gift cards, as that is the cost of A1-15 charge at the gate.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:20 am

Posted 100 GC on 8/29 reimbursed 9/19 prg card.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by chadd1
Posted 100 GC on 8/29 reimbursed 9/19 prg card.
Can you post a screenshot?

I purchased on 8/23, so it has been 4 weeks, still nothing.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:35 am

I know that tax fees related to awards ticket purchases are not eligible, but I noticed that tax fees posted for international flights look different from regular tax fees ($5.60 per ticket). Has anybody ever got credits for $5.60 (or $11.20) charges?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by PatMike
I would hold on. I have a number of early boarding $12.50 charges that are actually legit reimbursable items and have not been reimbursed. I did a chat with Amex and they said if credits are not posted by 4 weeks, chat back or call and they will manually post.
I also have gift cards on another Amex Plat, but the unreimbursed $12.50 EB charges lead me to think it is actually a wait 4 weeks for posting situation.
Also, I buy $40 gift cards, as that is the cost of A1-15 charge at the gate.
Can you just pay at the gate for the $40 A1-15 charge using your platinum and be reimbursed. I am hoping to burn my credit that way.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:38 am

Got it finally

Bought two $100 gift cards on 8/29. Called today and they issued me a $200 credit.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Been 5 weeks or so. Called in. Nicest agent ever. She said I actually had about more available left for reimbursement then what I thought I had.

So I think they actually have the empowered hardwired ability to waive like $20 more or so than the $200. Not that I would want to abuse this by calling in.

I did the math for the year 5 times, and it was complicated because I had some random points reservations taxes waived earlier in year.

What type of purchase was this? a change fee? (umm no southwest doesn't have change fees) some other fee?

You know it's been so long I just don't remember, ok no problem!

Should I go for the $20 or so more and call in? Nawww, pigs get fat n all....
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by daw4888
Bought two $100 gift cards on 8/29. Called today and they issued me a $200 credit.
what did you say?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
I know that tax fees related to awards ticket purchases are not eligible, but I noticed that tax fees posted for international flights look different from regular tax fees ($5.60 per ticket). Has anybody ever got credits for $5.60 (or $11.20) charges?
Obviously the tax fee for domestic routes will be different from international routes. I had the same case recently. I charged my tax fees for award travel on my prg and it showed as "passenger ticket". This makes it even bad to get reimbursed by amex. Still ymmv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.