Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by castcore
Bought 2 $100 SW GCs on website , posted 8-28. No credit yet either
Still nothing, Amex Cards are getting more worthless by the hour...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:42 pm

Still no for me either, purchased on 8/23. This is a definite cancel next year.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
#byefelicia !
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by J0anne
If I cancel my Amex Platinum Card after I get 100K bonus point, can I still get reimbursement for some of my annual fee?
If you just signed up, you really should ride it out for the whole year. Then call to cancel at the end of the year and cancel before you have to pay again. You can say that the expense is too high (which is valid). That 100K bonus is worth at least $1000, so even after paying $450 you are still way ahead. And don't forget to use your cards for Small Business Saturday, coming up after Black Friday.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by erik8869
yes you will, but then you will be in their blacklist...
meaning what? future application to any amex CCs may not be approved? these personal CCs are a one-time thing, correct? will the biz CCs be reviewed & approved differently?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
If you just signed up, you really should ride it out for the whole year. Then call to cancel at the end of the year and cancel before you have to pay again. You can say that the expense is too high (which is valid). That 100K bonus is worth at least $1000, so even after paying $450 you are still way ahead. And don't forget to use your cards for Small Business Saturday, coming up after Black Friday.
I disagree. You are under no obligation to "ride it out" for a year. If you're unhappy with the card, you cancel it. This is a business relationship, pure and simple. You aren't under any moral or ethical obligation to keep it.

I'd say use it until the end of the year, take advantage of SBS, then cancel and get a pro-rated refund. You'll be about where you would have been financially if you had been able to redeem the airline fee credit.

You won't be added to some nebulous "blacklist" because you decided 3-4 months into having a card that the cost just wasn't worth it. Personal circumstances change all the time.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mrchuckfl
I too am seeing the same issue. Purchased 2 x $50 in July and both were credited within 3 days.

I did 2 more x $50 one on 8/26 and one on 8/27 and neither has been credited yet.

I will give it a couple more days before calling in.
Still no credit. I think it is safe to say this avenue is dead.

I have decided that I an not going to bother calling in and will cut my losses and cancel the card when it comes up for renewal next month.

Then I will put all the gift cards on one of the GC selling sites like CardPool and unload.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:32 am

bought 2 $50 on 8/29 - nothing for me yet.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mrchuckfl
Still no credit. I think it is safe to say this avenue is dead.

I have decided that I an not going to bother calling in and will cut my losses and cancel the card when it comes up for renewal next month.

Then I will put all the gift cards on one of the GC selling sites like CardPool and unload.
I disagree. Others have reported that there are legitimate airline incidental charges that have not been timely reimbursed. Until we start seeing in-flight meals, etc, being reimbursed, I think it's premature to call it dead.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by missing_link
I disagree. Others have reported that there are legitimate airline incidental charges that have not been timely reimbursed. Until we start seeing in-flight meals, etc, being reimbursed, I think it's premature to call it dead.
I agree with you here. I had purchased on 8/23 and still waiting on reimbursement. I got in contact with an agent on chat and they said that I should expect to get the reimbursement within 4-6 weeks of purchase. I had him place notes onto my account to refer back to if/when I have to get in contact again regarding this. I am just going to ride out the 4-6 week and see what happens. At least I know I can use the GCs no problem.

If I don't get the reimbursement I will just request them to let me change airline to AA and pay for Premium Econ to Kauai in October or get (a lot) of drinks on the flight. I've heard they let you do that sometimes. But the only thing that's "safe to say" is that these things should no longer be surprises and you should always calculate the worst case scenarios when you are weighing options. In this case worst case being actually using the $200 credit for incidentals and not flights. Not ideal, but works for me. Especially when you take into consideration the 100,000 points, half of which paid for 2 RTs to LIH
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45
I agree with you here. I had purchased on 8/23 and still waiting on reimbursement. I got in contact with an agent on chat and they said that I should expect to get the reimbursement within 4-6 weeks of purchase. I had him place notes onto my account to refer back to if/when I have to get in contact again regarding this. I am just going to ride out the 4-6 week and see what happens. At least I know I can use the GCs no problem.

If I don't get the reimbursement I will just request them to let me change airline to AA and pay for Premium Econ to Kauai in October or get (a lot) of drinks on the flight. I've heard they let you do that sometimes. But the only thing that's "safe to say" is that these things should no longer be surprises and you should always calculate the worst case scenarios when you are weighing options. In this case worst case being actually using the $200 credit for incidentals and not flights. Not ideal, but works for me. Especially when you take into consideration the 100,000 points, half of which paid for 2 RTs to LIH
How did you get 50k to cover 2 rt's to LIH?
I'm traveling in Nov and need to purchase.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by chadd1
How did you get 50k to cover 2 rt's to LIH?
I'm traveling in Nov and need to purchase.
Avios from the west coast I'm sure.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by missing_link
I disagree. You are under no obligation to "ride it out" for a year. If you're unhappy with the card, you cancel it. This is a business relationship, pure and simple. You aren't under any moral or ethical obligation to keep it.

I'd say use it until the end of the year, take advantage of SBS, then cancel and get a pro-rated refund. You'll be about where you would have been financially if you had been able to redeem the airline fee credit.

You won't be added to some nebulous "blacklist" because you decided 3-4 months into having a card that the cost just wasn't worth it. Personal circumstances change all the time.
Do they give prorated refund for Platinum cards?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Has anyone tried purchasing something from Southwest The Store (aka Freedom Shop) on their Amex?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by groundhog
Do they give prorated refund for Platinum cards?
yes. But you should call or chat with Amex, tell them you are thinking of canceling the card because it is too expensive and how much would they reimburse you. You can also downgrade the card to green; I think it's $75 a year instead of $450. If you do that you keep your miles and can still use the cards for the Amex Offers.

Unless you already have an Amex Card that gives you membership miles and they are linked together. They also have other cards that have no fee...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.