Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:32 am

One $200 Southwest GC purchased online 2/28. Reimbursed 3/4. Yippee.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
March 8: I purchased two $100 gift cards on Southwest:
March 12: Two $100 Airline Fee Reimbursements showing on my online statement.

Thanks once again, AMEX! The $450 Platinum card is really only $250/year, and that's a great deal.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 pm

Will post my experience as things develop...

Purchased Gift Cards - April 23 (2x$100)
Transaction Posted - April 25
Reimbursement Credit Posted - April 26 (2x$100)

Last edited by HockeyCoachBen; Apr 27, 2014 at 11:43 am Reason: Updating data points.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:09 pm

question, i will buy $200 SW giftcard, but there is $2.95 shipping fee, so will they reimburse me for $200?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by wagon297
question, i will buy $200 SW giftcard, but there is $2.95 shipping fee, so will they reimburse me for $200?
Why not just get the e-gift card for $200?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:07 pm

Just got the $200 credit retroactively. I already had the personal Plat, and recently got the targeted Bus. Plat 100K MR bonus offer. So I did the 2x $100 Southwest gift card routine again with the new card.

Problem: I forgot to designate WN as my airline for this purpose. So, I called the customer service line, got a nice fellow who was happy to help. I was big on the "I blew it"s and "I forgot"s -- my fault.

I don't suppose I could get the $200 credit retroactively, could I?

Sir, let me check on that. A minute later he came back and it was done. Bravo, Amex!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:40 pm

Greetings.

Just received my new Amex Plat in the mail today, first time having a real Amex branded card woot!

Would it be suspicious if I immediately purchase 2x $100 WN gift cards? It sounds like the reimbursement is going strong, but I'd rather not take my chances. But at the same time, any chance of possibly arousing suspicion as to this benefit would be best avoided.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by stupenal
Greetings.

Just received my new Amex Plat in the mail today, first time having a real Amex branded card woot!

Would it be suspicious if I immediately purchase 2x $100 WN gift cards? It sounds like the reimbursement is going strong, but I'd rather not take my chances. But at the same time, any chance of possibly arousing suspicion as to this benefit would be best avoided.
Congrats! Despite what some say, I think it is a great card and I've had it since 2004.

I don't see any reason why that purchase would be an issue. It is a very small purchase.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by stupenal
Greetings.

Go for it, but remember to set up WN as your designated airline first.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:26 am

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: WN/FL only

Anyone get WN gift cards for $200 recently?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Is there a way to gift the cards to someone else? My goddaughter is moving to DC and I want to buy her some gc's so she can come visit when she wants to.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC
Angry

Originally Posted by bobby21
I bought a $100 GC. On 05/23. Still no signs of reimbursement. I'm probably going to regret my choice of airline, because SW hardly has any other fees!
Old May 31, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by bobby21
Not as a single purchase but just got reimbursed for 2 $100 GC purchases done on separate days (I'm just that paranoid ). Both reimbursements appeared 3 days after purchase.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: DL, AC
Originally Posted by uszkanni
Not as a single purchase but just got reimbursed for 2 $100 GC purchases done on separate days (I'm just that paranoid ). Both reimbursements appeared 3 days after purchase.
Hey uszkanni,
Curious what's different about your purchase and mine. I bought one GC ($100) 05/23. The transaction appeared with the following relevant details:

DOING BUSINESS AS
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
MERCHANT ADDRESS
PO BOX 36611, DALLAS, TX 75235 UNITED STATES
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
7900122406 (214) 792 - 4223
REFERENCE NUMBER
32xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CATEGORY
TRAVEL - AIRLINE

TICKET NUMBER
5xxxxxxxxxxxx
DATE OF DEPARTURE
PASSENGER NAME
DOCUMENT TYPE
SPD/AIR FREIGHT

I don't expect a reimbursement that hasn't happened10 days after the purchase. I purchased the GC online from the Southwest.com website. But any reader here has a suggestion about calling Amex customer service and requesting a credit?

thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:47 am

Wink

Originally Posted by ar2565
Hey uszkanni,
Curious what's different about your purchase and mine. I bought one GC ($100) 05/23. The transaction appeared with the following relevant details:

I don't expect a reimbursement that hasn't happened10 days after the purchase. I purchased the GC online from the Southwest.com website. But any reader here has a suggestion about calling Amex customer service and requesting a credit?

thanks!
My details look a lot like yours but there's an additional section with:
FROM TO CARRIER CLASS
N/A N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
before the TICKET NUMBER line.

It's possible that it just hasn't appeared yet but if you're concerned then you can call AMEX CS and ask about the credit. There's no need to go into too many details about what you purchased but don't lie (the agent probably knows what exactly $100 is buying anyway).

I've never needed to do this so you might want to wait a day or two to see if someone else here will post their suggestions on how to proceed.

P.S. I'll assume you selected Southwest as your airline prior to purchasing the GC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.