Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
I changed a flight for $150 fee. The remainder of my $200 credit, which was $86, posted a couple days later. ^

In my case no difference in fare so only the $150 charge.

Foo
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've had a couple of EC purchases get credited as well. I'm saving my remaining credit for the year to try and get bulkhead EC on ORD-MEM-PHX-SLC-ORD on CR9s in December.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:19 am

Can I just upgrade my Economy flight then cancel flight to get $200 credit? I just want the $200 credit to offset the annual fee.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:46 pm

You can buy Economy Comfort seats, let the charges hit your account, and then move out of EC on the seat map to trigger a refund. That should work. I'm not sure what you mean by upgrade then cancel, though.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:08 pm

Why not use the benefit as intended, so it remains a part of the benefits package? What will happen is someone like me who intends to keep the card and pay the annual fee will get hosed by all of the folks trying to extract every cent then canceling the card.

And people wonder why the benefits keep getting cut, and why points are worthless.

Flame away
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by reef58
Why not use the benefit as intended, so it remains a part of the benefits package? What will happen is someone like me who intends to keep the card and pay the annual fee will get hosed by all of the folks trying to extract every cent then canceling the card.

And people wonder why the benefits keep getting cut, and why points are worthless.

Flame away
+1
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
Originally Posted by foofiter
+1
That's pretty much a moot argument as the system cannot be abuse any more than it can be used. So there is no additional loss to the company that would somehow trigger a change in the practice. If people don't use it it can become a useless benefit that they do away with. If the fixed $200 per account is maxed by every user and they don't like that they can always remove the benefit and decrease the fee by $200.

I really don't see how you can draw any practical causality for the benefit based on whether people are using the $200 versus using the $200. If anything would be caused by this, it would be what we are already seeing, tightening up of the rule triggers that are allowed for the benefit. Loophole is only a loophole if they intend to close it, otherwise it's just the plan.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:29 pm

Flame away
Amex is losing $200 either way...Why not lose $200 the way that suits me best?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:37 pm

If there is something that benefits you good deal. My post was directed more to folks scratching their heads looking for a way to spend the $$ so they do "leave anything on the table".

It is getting to the point where people will start wrecking rentals to make sure they get something out of that to.

Originally Posted by standingoten
Amex is losing $200 either way...Why not lose $200 the way that suits me best?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
If there is something that benefits you good deal. My post was directed more to folks scratching their heads looking for a way to spend the $$ so they do "leave anything on the table".

It is getting to the point where people will start wrecking rentals to make sure they get something out of that to.
Now that is genuinely funny!! If anyone does that please don't post a data point concerning....pro-tip.

Got another unintended/unexpected/ or maybe I just forgot about this data point:

Bought (using MR points) a DL one-way via AMEX travel website for the 20% MR return. Cost was 139.8 details below
Code:
N/A DLT
N/A YY
N/A YY
Document Type : PASSENGER TICKET
Doing Business As:	 DELTA AIR LINES
Fare:
Tax:
Total:
120.00 USD
19.80 USD
139.80 USD
Category: Travel - Airline

Pulled out the balance of my credit. Statement included the ticket number and departure dates but no flight info. Merchant showed as:

Code:
AMERICAN EXPRESS TRACHICAGO IL
But I noticed for the few minutes it was a pending charge the pending was from Delta airlines and also the $7 travelocity/AMEX travel.

My main point is the credit work through American Express travel as well and not just charges initiated directly through Delta. as long as apparently the charge is by delta or d/b/a Delta.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
I have a "first world" problem and need some help. Read through this thread and still unclear to me.

I'm a DL PM and get most fees waived. Should I choose DL for fees or go with another airline such as AA and get gift cards. I just signed up for Amex Platinum, and need to use the $200 credit this calendar year.

Option 1: Go AA or another airline, just buy gift cards
Option 2: Choose DL? What's a good way to get $200 back quickly?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:29 pm

If you are a Platinum then I would choose your secondary airline.

Originally Posted by Selendia
I have a "first world" problem and need some help. Read through this thread and still unclear to me.

I'm a DL PM and get most fees waived. Should I choose DL for fees or go with another airline such as AA and get gift cards. I just signed up for Amex Platinum, and need to use the $200 credit this calendar year.

Option 1: Go AA or another airline, just buy gift cards
Option 2: Choose DL? What's a good way to get $200 back quickly?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: All of them...
Will I get the credit if I buy a DL GC?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chff
Will I get the credit if I buy a DL GC?
From what I read so far it looks like a hit and miss depending on how the agent enters the GC into the system. You will need to be in person to buy it and can't redeem it online.

I'm trying to find a way to use my $200 (just got the card two weeks ago) on Delta. If I use the Mileage Booster for my trip in January, will this amount be debited from my Platinum card ahead of time or will it be stuck in pending until the flight is over? If it's stuck in pending and will go through once my flights are over, I assume it will count for 2013 and not this year?

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by gk17
From what I read so far it looks like a hit and miss depending on how the agent enters the GC into the system. You will need to be in person to buy it and can't redeem it online.

I'm trying to find a way to use my $200 (just got the card two weeks ago) on Delta. If I use the Mileage Booster for my trip in January, will this amount be debited from my Platinum card ahead of time or will it be stuck in pending until the flight is over? If it's stuck in pending and will go through once my flights are over, I assume it will count for 2013 and not this year?

Thanks.
Mileage Booster is such a horrible deal. I haven't ever used it, so cannot say when the charge goes through. My guess is immediately, but I think you DO have to fly to get the points and forfeit the cost if you don't.

You don't list any status on DL, why not buy up to Economy Comfort? You could actually sit in the seats! If you don't want to do that, you can simply let the charges stick to your AMEX account (and the credit posts) and then move yourself out of Economy Comfort, triggering a refund from DL. Unless you're hard up for miles that are difficult to spend, I don't see any reason to use Mileage Booster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.