Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by browerjs
If I upgrade to first class on the website after I purchase my initial ticket will it qualify for the reimbursement? Thinking of ways to use my $100 credit since the GCs don't seem to be working anymore
did this work? any others had success with this?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:58 am

Data Point: I did 4 $50 gift cards 4 days ago on my platinum card, and they have already posted as credits. I did 2 $50 gift cards on my wife's gold card and they have been credited as well. No issues.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by tymiler
did this work? any others had success with this?
I did this back in October and just figured that upgrades were covered like they are with the Ritz Carlton card, but apparently they are not. I just looked at my statement today and it was never reimbursed. I called AMEX and they said that if you upgrade from Coach to First it is not considered reimbursable, but if you upgrade to Economy Comfort Plus then it would be. Either way he said it was no problem to do it this once for me, but he just wanted to let me know going forward. So YMMV.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:30 pm

Don't know if I'll be flying much with Delta even though I selected it. Can the Amex Gold credit only be used for Delta e-certificates or inflight entertainment? There's no option to buy another gift card?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Shadow Rider
Don't know if I'll be flying much with Delta even though I selected it. Can the Amex Gold credit only be used for Delta e-certificates or inflight entertainment? There's no option to buy another gift card?
The e-certs ARE gift cards.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
The e-certs ARE gift cards.
Yea, I just meant giftcards that you don't have to spend on Delta flights.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Yea, I just meant giftcards that you don't have to spend on Delta flights.
You can do this if if choose United, rather than Delta, as your carrier. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You can do this if if choose United, rather than Delta, as your carrier. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html
Thanks. Selected United kind of by accident on my Platinum. Guess I'm stuck with Delta gift certificates on PRG this year.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:10 pm
mia

.... Guess I'm stuck with Delta gift certificates on PRG this year.
If you have not made any reimbursed DL expenses with your Gold card in 2015, call customer service and politely ask if you could change your selection to UA.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you have not made any reimbursed DL expenses with your Gold card in 2015, call customer service and politely ask if you could change your selection to UA.
That worked! thank you so much Mia!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:53 pm
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I purchased some egift certificates with Delta and some have been closed meaning I can't use them anymore. I called Delta and was told they were closed for suspected fraudulent activity. Someone else tried to obtain the certificate numbers? Has anyone else ever had this happen? DId you have any luck getting them re-opened?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by Tareyton98
...Someone else tried to obtain the certificate numbers?
Is this what Delta told you, or is it speculation?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tareyton98
I purchased some egift certificates with Delta and some have been closed meaning I can't use them anymore. I called Delta and was told they were closed for suspected fraudulent activity. Someone else tried to obtain the certificate numbers? Has anyone else ever had this happen? DId you have any luck getting them re-opened?
From whom did you buy them? Do you know how they got them?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Twanis0
Data Point: I did 4 $50 gift cards 4 days ago on my platinum card, and they have already posted as credits. I did 2 $50 gift cards on my wife's gold card and they have been credited as well. No issues.
How long did it take for the credit to actually post?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Plat Amex Credit on DL - help needed and a question

So I'm Platinum Medallion on DL and usually get Upgraded for free or I buy FC. I just rec'd the Amex Plat on 11/2 of this year. I've flown DL only twice since then. I am not scheduled to fly DL anymore this year and I need to use the credit before 12/31 (or loose it). Rather then pointing me to a long thread, can anyone tell me of any use I might have for the credit if I'm not flying DL anymore this year? and if it matters, I have 12 trips planned for next year thus far and I'm at a loss as to what to use the $200 for (besides for buying food onboard a flight) which is all I can think of? any other uses that I don't know about? As a DL Plat I get checked bags for free or I'm covered under my DL Amex Plat so bag fee is out for me..

my other question is - if I buy drinks in the Delta SC and use my Plat Amex, is that considered "beverage" under the food and beverages "allowed" items for the $200? thanks.

Sorry if this is confusing, I've flown DL a long time but new to this particular Amex. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.