Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:36 pm

One data point:
I tried to buy a gift card at the airport. The first reaction you will get by an agent at the counter is surprise. They probably never knew that their company sold gift cards because you can only buy them at the airport and you cannot redeem them online thus getting hit with a phone booking fee or airport fee when you redeem it.

Also Delta requires you to name a recipient of the gift card who is the only person who can redeem the gift card. Another thing is that for some reasons I was told that some states do not allow the sale of gift cards, so you cannot buy a gift card (at least a Delta one) in CA and some others.

Anyways, I bought a gift card for $50 and did not get reimbursed. The transaction was coded as "Passenger Ticket" rather than "Additional Collection". I am not sure if it was the standard rule or because the agent did not know how to code it. I will probably return it for a refund with a 10% penalty fee the next time I fly.

I booked an TATL award ticket with taxes and fees around $180 and was immediately reimbursed the next day.

I'm having a hard time "quoting" others. Ideally what is posted above should appear in a little box with my pearls of wisdom down here below:

So based on everything I have assimilated, with Delta, you can't use the $200 credit to buy gift cards, or for anything online. Since I'm not flying Delta before 12-31, nor will I be booking any flights, it seems as though there is absolutely NOTHING that I can do with my remaining $180 credit.
That stinks!

Last edited by Bbabbaloo; Oct 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm Reason: didn't input anything
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Bbabbaloo
So based on everything I have assimilated, with Delta, you can't use the $200 credit to buy gift cards, or for anything online. Since I'm not flying Delta before 12-31, nor will I be booking any flights, it seems as though there is absolutely NOTHING that I can do with my remaining $180 credit.
That stinks!
You maybe able to buy some overpriced miles if your transaction is "small enough".
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PL, AMX Plat, AMX DR, Hertz Gold, mx hotel
Delta options more limited

One data point:
I tried to buy a gift card at the airport. The first reaction you will get by an agent at the counter is surprise. They probably never knew that their company sold gift cards because you can only buy them at the airport and you cannot redeem them online thus getting hit with a phone booking fee or airport fee when you redeem it.

Also Delta requires you to name a recipient of the gift card who is the only person who can redeem the gift card. Another thing is that for some reasons I was told that some states do not allow the sale of gift cards, so you cannot buy a gift card (at least a Delta one) in CA and some others.

Anyways, I bought a gift card for $50 and did not get reimbursed. The transaction was coded as "Passenger Ticket" rather than "Additional Collection". I am not sure if it was the standard rule or because the agent did not know how to code it. I will probably return it for a refund with a 10% penalty fee the next time I fly.

I booked an TATL award ticket with taxes and fees around $180 and was immediately reimbursed the next day.

I'm having a hard time "quoting" others. Ideally what is posted above should appear in a little box with my pearls of wisdom down here below:

That stinks!

Another data point - I have booked several one way fares within last couple of weeks several under 100 and some over - NONE have been reimbursed - and if you log in to look at card charges it is clear they are tickets when you "expand view" the individual charge. So others appear successful at booking one ways on other airlines but I would say not to try on delta unless one way makes more sense as even the "low dollar amount" won't automatically trigger reimbursement. Finally I don't know how to use my $$ either since I'm almost always upgraded and of course have free lounge access with the card!!!!!! Also - as a plat delta no change fees/etc....any ideas??????
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by wdmonet
Another data point - I have booked several one way fares within last couple of weeks several under 100 and some over - NONE have been reimbursed - and if you log in to look at card charges it is clear they are tickets when you "expand view" the individual charge. So others appear successful at booking one ways on other airlines but I would say not to try on delta unless one way makes more sense as even the "low dollar amount" won't automatically trigger reimbursement. Finally I don't know how to use my $$ either since I'm almost always upgraded and of course have free lounge access with the card!!!!!! Also - as a plat delta no change fees/etc....any ideas??????
ISTR that earlier in this thread someone posted that they used their $200 credit to buy a round of drinks for everyone in the plane, or some such thing. Or maybe you could pay for some person or family/group to get access to a lounge? Maybe a parent struggling with a crying baby? Basically, if you can't find any use for the $200 credit yourself, use it to help someone else.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by wdmonet
I bought a DL one-way for $80 ($59 plus fees) and it was reimbursed the following day despite the expanded view clearly showing it as an airline ticket. Bought the return one-way for $80 a week later, and no reimbursement appeared, despite my still having $80 available in my $200 credit. It appears to be a crapshoot!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I recently purchased two tickets (round trip) on the same PNR through Delta - came to a total of $109.40 per ticket. Each ticket showed up as a separate transaction on the card and were reimbursed the next day with the remaining balance. One ticket was fully refunded and the other was partially refunded. Both transactions were clearly coded as tickets in the expanded view.

Just another data point.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by downhillskier
I recently purchased two tickets (round trip) on the same PNR through Delta - came to a total of $109.40 per ticket. Each ticket showed up as a separate transaction on the card and were reimbursed the next day with the remaining balance. One ticket was fully refunded and the other was partially refunded. Both transactions were clearly coded as tickets in the expanded view.

Just another data point.
could it be possible that the computer looks for multiple transactions within a set period of time, but on subsequent days?

I purchased two one-way tickets, but split them with several days in between, each being under $100, each reimbursed.

Last edited by msp2anywhere; Oct 26, 2011 at 6:09 pm Reason: results of purchase
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:30 pm

Delta AwardBuilder

I just got an offer from Delta for AwardBuilder which allows me to pay essentially $84 for 3,000 miles on an upcoming round-trip flight. Anyone have any success with something like this getting reimbursed?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hensleyrob
I just got an offer from Delta for AwardBuilder which allows me to pay essentially $84 for 3,000 miles on an upcoming round-trip flight. Anyone have any success with something like this getting reimbursed?

Thanks,

Rob
On AA the mileage quadrupler works....
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT
Another data point. I purchased two gift cards on American Airlines ($100 and $66) on Oct 27 and they were reimbursed on Oct 30.

Does anyone know if this would work on Delta as well. The website says that gift certificates for Delta can only be purchased at one of their ticketing locations... seems like a bigger hassle than AA's e-certificate... was done in 2 minutes.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cypriote
Does anyone know if this would work on Delta as well.
See post 577 for a good summary of the obstacles.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:37 pm

Cool ideas for using $200 credit on DL by Year End

Originally Posted by StanleyLi
You maybe able to buy some overpriced miles if your transaction is "small enough".
Thanks Stanley (This in reference to Delta.) What constitutes a "small enough" purchase of overpriced miles?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks Stanley (This in reference to Delta.) What constitutes a "small enough" purchase of overpriced miles?
Not only are the skypesos overpriced, they get devalued easily too!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Sitting in the sky club at PBI and was wondering if anyone has bought anything from the new "premium bar" and been reimbursed. I know buy onboard is covered, but not sure how the sky club purchase would go through. Day passes seem to count, so I would assume the bar may as well. If this is the case, ^^
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Delta SkyClub Day Passes

Has anyone tried to purchase Delta SkyClub day passes to use up the $200? I just got an e-mail from Delta with a promo of 5 day passes for $99. You have to purchase directly in the SkyClub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.