Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:14 am

Data point: I recently signed my wife up for the Amex Gold Card. I selected her airline (Delta) the day the card came then purchased 2x $50 Delta GCs about 20 mins later. The credit posted just fine three days after purchase, so there's apparently no need to "wait a day after selection for good measure," as stated in the wiki.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
It's clear at this point that things have returned to normal. Probably just a technical glitch, some sort of review, or otherwise.
Speaking of the technical glitch, I noticed today that my Amex PRG currently lists the $100 airline credit under "Offers." I opened my Amex PRG card in June and used up the airline credit in July/Aug, and the credit posted automatically on Aug 3rd, just before the glitch occurred. I don't recall seeing the $100 airline credit under the "Offers" for my PRG card during the past couple of months, although I know it was there when I first opened the card in June. Interestingly, my Platinum card, which I opened on Aug 30th and used up the $200 airline credit in September during the glitch (i.e., had to chat w/ Amex to get the credit to post) does NOT show the $200 airline credit under "Offers." Is it possible that the glitch caused my Amex PRG airline credit to reset, and that I could get the $100 PRG airline credit a second time before this calendar year is up? Probably wishful thinking, but it is curious that the credit shows up under the PRG offers and not under the Platinum offers.

Last edited by Auerbach; Oct 26, 2015 at 12:50 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: UA, SW, US, DL
Originally Posted by slbnoob
Just got 4 DL ecerts. I am being asked to "wait at least 72 hours" before using them. I was hoping I could use them immediately.
Update: DL literally made me wait 72 hours. I kept on trying to plugin the ecerts #s to use them but was kept getting denied. I checked various times. Then a few minutes after the 72 hour window, I was finally able to get them to work . Thankfully, the fares I was looking at were still available, even went down a few $
Also, the PRG credit posted automatically today 10/29 for ecerts bought on 10/23.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Auerbach
Data point: I recently signed my wife up for the Amex Gold Card. I selected her airline (Delta) the day the card came then purchased 2x $50 Delta GCs about 20 mins later. The credit posted just fine three days after purchase, so there's apparently no need to "wait a day after selection for good measure," as stated in the wiki.
That's not surprising, but the primary reason to wait for good measure is that it allows you to rule out other causes if something goes wrong. Some updates occur with overnight batch processing, so even though your experience indicates it may be instant in the case of airline selection, by giving it overnight, you can exclude "their system didn't yet know I had selected Delta when I placed my order" as the cause of a failed refund.

Originally Posted by slbnoob
Update: DL literally made me wait 72 hours. I kept on trying to plugin the ecerts #s to use them but was kept getting denied. I checked various times. Then a few minutes after the 72 hour window, I was finally able to get them to work
Interesting. I could swear that I've used mine right away several times in the past. Could someone else chime in with a data point here, namely, if you purchase an eCert, see if you can use it right away or otherwise prior to the 72 hour mark? If this seems to be the rule, I'll note it in the Wiki because it would be best that people know they can't make use of this for last-minute purchase needs.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:25 am

Got my last reimbursements for the year... the last two $50 credits came in on the 30th.

There was a lot of hand-wringing involved this year. Let's hope next year isn't so stressful.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Could someone else chime in with a data point here, namely, if you purchase an eCert, see if you can use it right away or otherwise prior to the 72 hour mark? If this seems to be the rule, I'll note it in the Wiki because it would be best that people know they can't make use of this for last-minute purchase needs.
Data point here: I've tried to use DL eCerts straight after purchasing twice this year - to use the fee credit on my PRG and my Plat. Both times I wasn't able to use them until 72 hours (quite literally) was up. I tried anyway in case it wasn't enforced and no go. It was annoying as I had to pay full price for the ticket I was purchasing with my plat because I didn't want to lose the fare
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bristoldave
Data point here: I've tried to use DL eCerts straight after purchasing twice this year - to use the fee credit on my PRG and my Plat. Both times I wasn't able to use them until 72 hours (quite literally) was up. I tried anyway in case it wasn't enforced and no go. It was annoying as I had to pay full price for the ticket I was purchasing with my plat because I didn't want to lose the fare
Thanks. If one more person chimes in with the same, with no one else countering, I'll update the Wiki to reflect this, hoping to warn those who think they can jump on this for a last minute purchase.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:02 pm

Planning to purchase Delta Gift Certicate and wanted to confirm two things.

1) I just got my Amex today, so if I purchase $200 in delta gift cards the $200 credit will reset on January 1, 2016 and I repurchase another $200 in gift cards correct? Ask alternatively, the counter still resets on January 1, 2016, not 1 year from Amex card's inception.

2) I see everyone saying they are buying 4 $50 certificates. Is it okay to purchase 8, $25 instead?

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Garavar

1) I just got my Amex today, so if I purchase $200 in delta gift cards the $200 credit will reset on January 1, 2016 and I repurchase another $200 in gift cards correct? Ask alternatively, the counter still resets on January 1, 2016, not 1 year from Amex card's inception.

2) I see everyone saying they are buying 4 $50 certificates. Is it okay to purchase 8, $25 instead?
I believe it's per calendar year, yes.

8 $25 certificates will work fine. You just don't want the amount too large.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:27 pm

Thanks
Yes, see Wiki, please.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

Thanks
From the purchase page:

*VALUE
Enter eGift Card value in $5 increments,Min.$50-Max.$1,000
So, $50 is the smallest denomination available.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Question (apologies if this was already answered somewhere)... do the eCerts I buy with the amex plat have to be for me or can they be in, say, my father's name if I want to buy him a flight? thanks
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
Question (apologies if this was already answered somewhere)... do the eCerts I buy with the amex plat have to be for me or can they be in, say, my father's name if I want to buy him a flight? thanks
Makes no difference. Just must be charged to your eligible Amex card and meet the other qualifications listed in the Wiki.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Makes no difference. Just must be charged to your eligible Amex card and meet the other qualifications listed in the Wiki.
thanks
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: DL FO
Another data point: Was successfully reimbursed by AMEX days after the charges posted for two $50 DL eCerts purchased by an AU on my PRG card using the helpful info on the wiki above.

The only thing on the wiki I didn't follow was waiting a day for good measure after selecting Delta as my airline on the card cause I'm really living life on the edge . The eCerts were probably bought 10 minutes after I selected DL.

Just wanted to share my experience. Thanks to all the posters here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.