Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rshocka
I purchased 4 $50 eGift cards on the Delta site using my AmEx Platinum with transaction dates of 12/31/14. It's 1/8/15, and I still haven't see the reimbursement credits. Based off others feedback, that's making me nervous they aren't going to get credited since I haven't seen any credits yet.

For what it's worth, I'm not the primary card holder, but I'm one of the three extended cards, but I don't think that should matter for me seeing the credit. I also called AmEx and verified that Delta has been my airline of choice.

I'm wondering if I should contact AmEx to request the credit, but I don't want to call their attention to it if it is something they don't officially support.

Thoughts / ideas?
Wait at least a couple weeks.

Have you run a year-long report for 2014 and checked what Delta charges appeared through the year?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I purchased 4 $50 eGift cards on the Delta site using my AmEx Platinum with transaction dates of 12/31/14. It's 1/8/15, and I still haven't see the reimbursement credits. Based off others feedback, that's making me nervous they aren't going to get credited since I haven't seen any credits yet.

For what it's worth, I'm not the primary card holder, but I'm one of the three extended cards, but I don't think that should matter for me seeing the credit. I also called AmEx and verified that Delta has been my airline of choice.

I'm wondering if I should contact AmEx to request the credit, but I don't want to call their attention to it if it is something they don't officially support.

Thoughts / ideas?
Remember that the credit is $200 per *account*, not per card.

If the primary or another AU had already used up all $200 earlier in the year, you will not see any credit.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:07 am

Thanks folks. We are coming up on a couple weeks, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Delta is confirmed as being the airline that's been selected, and we haven't received the $200 credit over the last year (for the entire account not just this card). Thus, it should still be available.

Thoughts on if I could get this approved if I call their customer support desk?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks folks. We are coming up on a couple weeks, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Delta is confirmed as being the airline that's been selected, and we haven't received the $200 credit over the last year (for the entire account not just this card). Thus, it should still be available.

Thoughts on if I could get this approved if I call their customer support desk?
I'd be hesitant to call, since I'm not sure exactly what you'd tell them. If you ask Amex whether you're going to be reimbursed for the gift cards you bought, that will certainly flag for them that the charges are, in fact, not eligible for the reimbursement.

On a different note, I had a brain fart last week and charged over $200 in award ticket fees to my DL Amex instead of the Plat card. Forgot it was a new year...

Booked another award ticket a couple days later and had those fees put on the Plat card. Tickets booked 1/5, fees posted 1/6, reimbursement posted 1/7.

Award fees post as "Additional Collection" - so those seem to be getting processed very quickly. Unfortunately the ones I did correctly were only $20.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'd be hesitant to call, since I'm not sure exactly what you'd tell them. If you ask Amex whether you're going to be reimbursed for the gift cards you bought, that will certainly flag for them that the charges are, in fact, not eligible for the reimbursement.
+1
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:58 pm

Thanks Gooselee. That makes me even more concerned that it's not going to happen.

I've included the details of each $50 purchase from the AmEx website on the transactions. Does this look like what you would expect?

DOING BUSINESS AS
DELTA AIR LINES
MERCHANT ADDRESS
ATLANTA AIRPORT, ATLANTA, GA 30344 UNITED STATES
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
REFERENCE NUMBER
CATEGORY
TRAVEL - AIRLINE
FROM TO CARRIER CLASS
LOS ANGELES INTERN
LOS ANGELES INTERN
DL

N/A
DL

N/A
YY

N/A
YY

TICKET NUMBER
DATE OF DEPARTURE
PASSENGER NAME
PASSENGER/DELTA
DOCUMENT TYPE
PASSENGER TICKET
DELTA AIR LINES
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I received a reminder email on Friday letting me know I could change the selected carrier in January but if I wanted to keep it DL nothing was required....immediately went to DL.com and purchased 4 $50 egift cards, those posted to my account on Saturday, on Sunday 4 $50 credits from Amex posted
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:55 pm

Sharing.

Did the extreme scenario. Listed UA as airline on 12/31/14, purchased $200 in GCs for TravelBank. Posted on 12/31, reimbursed on 1/3/15.

Listed Delta as 2015 carrier on 1/8/15, purchased 3 $50 e-certs on 1/14, posted on 1/14, all 3 reimbursed on 1/15.

Now I can change my airline to something else for the year before Jan ends.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Touche
Sharing.

Did the extreme scenario. Listed UA as airline on 12/31/14, purchased $200 in GCs for TravelBank. Posted on 12/31, reimbursed on 1/3/15.

Listed Delta as 2015 carrier on 1/8/15, purchased 3 $50 e-certs on 1/14, posted on 1/14, all 3 reimbursed on 1/15.

Now I can change my airline to something else for the year before Jan ends.
I thought that once you started getting reimbursed from one airline, you were stuck with it the rest of the calendar year?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I thought that once you started getting reimbursed from one airline, you were stuck with it the rest of the calendar year?
I hope that's not the case. Spouse bought drink on DL flight jan 8 and got reimbursed Jan 13. I didn't realize this and on Jan 16 changed to WN and bought 1x GC $100. If I don't see a credit by jan 30 maybe I should change back.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
How much extra time and patience does 4x$50 really take? Buy them all at once and then apply them across two tickets rather than just one.

Your profile says you are a DL GM, it's not like you only buy one ticket a year...
Too many vouchers/GC!

I have two Plat cards and purchased 2 X $200 in 2014 and another 2 X $200 in 2015. All reimbursed by AMEX .
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I can confirm that you can get reimbursed for one airline in early Jan, change airline, and get reimbursed for second airline. Up to $200.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:02 pm

without calling?

Originally Posted by gv111
Too many vouchers/GC!

I have two Plat cards and purchased 2 X $200 in 2014 and another 2 X $200 in 2015. All reimbursed by AMEX .
what airline? i've only ever done 4x50 with delta successfully. from what i've read on this forum of doing 1 $200 egift it was unsuccessful.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Data Point

1/23/15 - $5.60 reimbursement for DL Award Ticket Fees
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
1/22/15: bought three $50 e-certs
1/26/15: three separate $50 credits posted

Consider that 1/24 and 1/25 were weekend days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.