Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any reason people aren't purchasing 2 $100 cards? Have they been confirmed as not working?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Any reason people aren't purchasing 2 $100 cards? Have they been confirmed as not working?
Upthread it was reported that over $50 wasn't crediting.
There is not reason, however, to make separate orders/card checkouts. If you add 1-4 $50 to your cart and check out once, all will post because they hit your card as separate transactions automatically.

I had to do a fair amount of reading to find that and some other answers, so in an attempt to help save others time, I just created a Wiki for this thread. I entered the info I thought was accurate and relevant off the top of my head, so if I have anything wrong, please edit asap. Thanks.

Last edited by mooper; Jan 8, 2014 at 8:58 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
One other question that might be worth adding - is it necessary to "gift" the cards to a different email address than what's on your DL account?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
One other question that might be worth adding - is it necessary to "gift" the cards to a different email address than what's on your DL account?
I don't know if it's necessary, but I did to at least make it somewhat less transparent. I still have access to my university email due to their email for life policy. Spouse's account, work account, or the extra account you use for promotional offers would obviously work just as well.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:24 am

No - it isn't necessary to have a different email. Amex won't cross-reference Delta's email database when deciding if an order qualifies for the credit. In fact, you don't need a Delta account at all to qualify for the credit... just the qualifying charge.

Even if you want to assume they do check, the Amex MR Plat offer is intended to reimburse you for DL expenses, which most often would be your own. So sending an eGift to yourself is your own expense. Also, many people share an email account wholly or at least for certain orders/transactions, so it's expected that someone might send the cert to their own email even when it is a gift for a spouse or someone else.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:30 am

My 2014 reimbursement for Delta

Bought one $50 egift card on 1/1. It posted 1/2 and credit applied 1/4.

Bought three more $50 egift cards in separate transactions on 1/5. They posted 1/6 and credit applied 1/8
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
Bought one $50 egift card on 1/1. It posted 1/2 and credit applied 1/4.

Bought three more $50 egift cards in separate transactions on 1/5. They posted 1/6 and credit applied 1/8
At this point, it's well documented that $50 eCerts ordered in any fashion will generate a credit a few days later (capped at the $200 per calendar year limit for all credits).

Last edited by mooper; Jan 10, 2014 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Redeemed a J award ticket to Europe with ~$315 in taxes/fees that posted on January 2. I have yet to receive a credit for $200 of those taxes/fees. Should I be worried at this point?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Didn't read the sticky, so I purchased 4 separate $50 gift certs. All got reimbursed within 48 hrs.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
At this point, it's well documented that $50 (or lower denomination) eCerts ordered in any fashion, as long as they don't bring your yearly total over $200, will generate a credit a few days later.
$50 is the minimum. There is no lower denomination. Secondly, it can bring your yearly total over $200. Last month I had $22 unused credit, bought $50 eCert and got reimbursed for the $22.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
$50 is the minimum. There is no lower denomination. Secondly, it can bring your yearly total over $200. Last month I had $22 unused credit, bought $50 eCert and got reimbursed for the $22.
Yes, there's nothing lower. I was trying to highlight that larger amounts won't work.

Not sure what you mean about the $22 credit. I was saying that qualifying charges past $200 in a calendar year won't generate credits. I'll update the post you quoted and the Wiki to be clearer.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:30 am

I was clarifying that if you had <$50 left to be reimbursed, you could still buy a $50 eCert and be partially reimbursed to complete your annual $200. Some may have inferred from your original post that this could not be done unless you were able to buy an eCert in the exact amount you had left, in my case $22.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Got this card in the great MR pointsapalooza in January 2013.
Picked American Airlines for 2013 airline credits.
Bought 2 $100 AA gift cards shortly thereafter.
$200 statement credit appeared a few days later.
Used those to purchase domestic Qantas flights in Australia (bought via AA website), worked great.

On 1/6/14, picked Delta for 2014 airline credits.
Purchased four $50 Delta e-gift cards online on 1/7/14.
$200 statement credit appeared on 1/9/14.

^
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I was clarifying that if you had <$50 left to be reimbursed, you could still buy a $50 eCert and be partially reimbursed to complete your annual $200. Some may have inferred from your original post that this could not be done unless you were able to buy an eCert in the exact amount you had left, in my case $22.
Got it. Fixed. Thx.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Got 4x$50 GC and its posting as one $200 purchase. Ooops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.