Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by gk17
From what I read so far it looks like a hit and miss depending on how the agent enters the GC into the system. You will need to be in person to buy it and can't redeem it online.

I'm trying to find a way to use my $200 (just got the card two weeks ago) on Delta. If I use the Mileage Booster for my trip in January, will this amount be debited from my Platinum card ahead of time or will it be stuck in pending until the flight is over? If it's stuck in pending and will go through once my flights are over, I assume it will count for 2013 and not this year?

Thanks.
Why does it matter which year they "count" for? Mileage Booster miles are not MQMs.

Theey do get reimbursed though; I've done it.

Last edited by crimson12; Nov 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by crimson12
Why does it matter which year they "ciunt" for? Mileage Booster miles are not MQMs.

Theey do get reimbursed though; I've done it.
I thought I have up to year end to use the $200 right? If I don't use it, I lose it? I know it doesn't earn MQMs but it will still earn my SM. 10K SM (give or take) is better than none. That's like half a round trip for domestic travels
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I thought I have up to year end to use the $200 right? If I don't use it, I lose it? I know it doesn't earn MQMs but it will still earn my SM. 10K SM (give or take) is better than none. That's like half a round trip for domestic travels
Correct. You have to spend your eligible $200 before Dec. 31. Can't remember if that's purchase date or posting date, but there may be some posts upthread that clarify (I'm too lazy to look right now).
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:47 pm

What year the miles post (relevant for MQMs) is different from when you get hit with the Mileage Booster charge (relevant for Amex). I'm nearly positive my Mileage Booster charge hit when I purchased the ticket. (The miles will later post, and their post date should be the date of your trip,just like the regular miles.)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
What year the miles post (relevant for MQMs) is different from when you get hit with the Mileage Booster charge (relevant for Amex). I'm nearly positive my Mileage Booster charge hit when I purchased the ticket. (The miles will later post, and their post date should be the date of your trip,just like the regular miles.)
Thanks. That's good to know because my trip won't be until next year.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:35 pm

What year the miles post (relevant for MQMs) is different from when you get hit with the Mileage Booster charge (relevant for Amex).
You know, it's funny you keep hammering this point home, because not a single person has asked a question concerning MQM. The OP asked whether the CHARGE would count for 2013 or 2012 if it went through after Jan. 1. That's completely relevant to whether OP will get reimbursed under the 2012 or 2013 year; it has nothing at all to do with MQM. Responding to posts is far more beneficial to FT as a community if you read something carefully enough to understand the question.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
2012 MQM Purchase?

Speaking of MQM,
Anyone know if the purchase of MQM's qualify for refund?

https://dn.delta.com/skymiles/purchasemqms/buy/landing

Still will cost real money, since lowest level is $395 for 2500.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by JFKLAX321
You know, it's funny you keep hammering this point home, because not a single person has asked a question concerning MQM. The OP asked whether the CHARGE would count for 2013 or 2012 if it went through after Jan. 1. That's completely relevant to whether OP will get reimbursed under the 2012 or 2013 year; it has nothing at all to do with MQM. Responding to posts is far more beneficial to FT as a community if you read something carefully enough to understand the question.
OP's question, as I read it, was ambiguous as to whether he meant (a) will the Mileage Booster miles post with the trip or with the purchase, or (b) will the Mileage Booster charge post with the trip or with the purchase.

My point was, since Mileage Booster gives you only RDMs, which calendar year the miles post is usually not important. I followed that up with my experience, that the charge posts at the time of purchase but the miles post at the time of the trip. My point about MQMs was that, unlike MQMs, there is a reason you want those miles to post in a particular calendar year. I actually think my posts were more helpful than most.

By way of further detail, I have confirmed that the Mileage Booster charge did, in fact, post at the time of purchase. The charges were reimbursed three days later, about a month before I took the flights in question. The charge appears as:

DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA
DELTA AIR LINES
To:
Carrier:
Class:
N/A
N/A
YY

N/A
YY

N/A
YY

N/A
YY
Ticket Number: xxxxxxxxxx
Passenger Name: yyyyyyyyyy
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
Doing Business As: DELTA AIR LINES
Merchant Address: ATLANTA AIRPORT
ATLANTA
GA
UNITED STATES
Reference Number: zzzzzzzzzz
Purchased 8/12 ($59x2), reimbursed 8/15 (for both), flights on 9/12 and 9/14.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:34 am

Gift Card or SkyClub Pass?

Has anyone had any success in getting reimbursed for a DL gift card or one day Sky Club pass? I'm trying to figure out what do do with the credit.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Change fee reimbursement

I plan to change an existing reservation that will likely result in a higher fare plus the $150 change fee. Do I need to ask Delta to charge them separately so I get the $150 reimbursement from Amex for the change fee component?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Armani
I plan to change an existing reservation that will likely result in a higher fare plus the $150 change fee. Do I need to ask Delta to charge them separately so I get the $150 reimbursement from Amex for the change fee component?
Never had to do a fare difference, but I've gotten the $150 fee before and IIRC this ends up posting as an "additional collection", which will trigger the Amex reimbursement. In fact, if it posts that way and the fare difference is rolled in as well in a single charge, you may get the fare difference (up to $50) reimbursed as well.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Originally Posted by Armani
I did this recently. I think I had only used approx $20 of the reimbursement at the time. Changed my reservation, charged the $150+fare difference to my AX platinum. A week later or so, I got reimbursed approx $180.

You don't need to ask DL, AX will see it as a schedule change and reimburse you the $150 fee+fare difference up to whatever remains of your $200 reimbursement.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
thanks, this worked for me too.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
My wife is about 1000 miles short of gold for next year. Does anyone know if you can get reimbursed for the buy MQM promotion that Delta is running? Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
FCM a good use?

If I pay to upgrade to J on a flight, might that trigger the reimbursement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.