Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:25 pm

I bought a ticket on Sunday with 2x$59 mileage booster charges. No credit yet.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
There is a way to get the $200 towards a flight purchase, keep that in mind !
Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:12 pm

Can you pm me with an explanation? I am plat on DL, and can't seem to figure out how I'm going to use the $200. (I bought a meal - a terrible meal - for $6; not sure what to do with the remaining $194.) Thanks for any tips you might have.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
$150 award change fee, reimbursed the next day.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Sevillabear
Can you pm me with an explanation? I am plat on DL, and can't seem to figure out how I'm going to use the $200. (I bought a meal - a terrible meal - for $6; not sure what to do with the remaining $194.) Thanks for any tips you might have.
Buy some club passes for friends? Buy drinks for the whole cabin? A post above says there's a way to use the credit for tickets, maybe he knows something we don't.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
$150 award change fee, reimbursed the next day.
Aw man. Well, the good news is that I got my 2x$59 mileage booster purchases reimbursed. The bad news is that I need to change an award ticket and if I knew I could get the fee reimbursed I would have held out! Drat.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sevillabear
You might consider the mileage booster purchases. You don't get that many miles (I think I got 3000 for $59) but it's better than nothing and it's a few free miles.

(Another option for next year is to pick a different airline, that way you can use your Amex credit to a pretty good extent, and use your DL status for the other benefits.)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:36 pm

I had an award ticket booked on Delta that had $10 in taxes/fees. When I cancelled the reservation, I was charged the $150 fee, and refunded the $10 in fees. Amusingly, Amex didn't credit the $150 charge... but they DID charge me to offset the $10 credit! I guess the small -$10 charge from DL was automatically offset by a +$10 charge. No harm no foul, because it was immediately and automatically adjusted back (so I was charged a net of $140, $150-10), but I thought it was funny that they automatically reversed the credit.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP , 1M; Marriott Lifetime Gold,
What about on board duty free purchases on international DL flights? Would it appear similar to or different from on board food on domestic?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by murfbabe
What about on board duty free purchases on international DL flights? Would it appear similar to or different from on board food on domestic?
In the recent flyer that AmEx sent out, "Duty-free purchases" are specifically listed under the purchases not eligible for statement credits.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:15 am

Drat! I had hoped to use the Mileage Booster next week, but just discovered it is only valid for domestic travel.

Then I thought I'd buy an Award Builder to be applied to the trip, but I'm only flying one-way on DL and returning on AF. According to the terms and conditions of the Award Builder, the entire round-trip has to be on DL.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I was credited the first time I tried this, for four $50 gift card purchases in December. I tried this again on my platinum and my wife's platinum on Jan. 6 (seven days ago). Neither of our cards has been credited, so it looks like we're 1-for-3. I may try sending a secure message (I've read you're told it takes two to four weeks; to wait for four weeks), asking why we weren't credited. But I'm not optimistic.
Sorry for not updating this earlier. It took several phone calls to AMEX reps, but I was reimbursed for all of the gift certificate purchases. They just wanted me to wait four weeks, then call back if the credits didn't post. I called back, and, ultimately, was reimbursed. With no plans to fly on Delta, my wife and I last month took the gift certificates to the airport and were issued a refund check by a Delta manager, minus a 10 percent processing charge (as it says Delta may do). Keep in mind, Delta sells very, very few gift certificates, seeing as you have to purchase them at the airport, so most representatives won't have a clue. He or she will most likely have to get a manager or a longer-tenured employee.

We're intending to do this again in a few months. Anyone else bought gift certificates with hopes of being reimbursed lately?

Last edited by I can see for miles; Aug 31, 2012 at 5:08 pm Reason: Forgot to update post
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Canceled two award tickets (separate). There were 2 charges of 150 on amex and the automatic credit appeared after 3 days - 150 and 50.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:02 pm

Upgraded from economy to economy comfort, PBI-LGA and also on the return. $39 each way x 2 persons. The charges showed up on my statement with the credit immediately below it. This is my first time to use it on Delta. Last year I used it for luggage allowances on USAir. However now I also have the Delta Amex which already allows for free check in bags.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
Used it successfully on standby for a non elite pax, EC, in-air "food" and award fees still haven't heard about how to use for fare though.

Last edited by rayjr13; Oct 4, 2012 at 7:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.