Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by zshanlon
Are you saying that you bought the 5000 MQMs for $495 and AMEX reimbursed you your remaining $150 for that purchase? What does it look like on your AMEX statement?
The original charge looked like this (price includes tax i think):
DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA
Document Type: FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE
Doing Business As: DELTA AIR LINES
Category: Travel - Airline
And the reimbursement showed up as:
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement

TRANSACTION PROCESSED BY AMERICAN EXPRESS
Category: Fees & Adjustments
As stated previously, I don't believe this would have happened automatically- I had to call and pester them to make it happen, as the fee amount was over 200. If other people are looking to do something similar, also note that you don't even need to be buying MQMs for yourself. These I purchased for my bf.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Delta one-way tickets

Seems FTers have had success getting one-way Delta tickets reimbursed that are under $100. What do you think of this flight?

Price per passenger: $99.00 (USD)
Taxes/Fees: $10.70 (USD)
Subtotal per Passenger: $109.70 (USD)

I guess this comes down to whether or not the fare and taxes/fees show up separately on my Amex statement. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Seems FTers have had success getting one-way Delta tickets reimbursed that are under $100. What do you think of this flight?

Price per passenger: $99.00 (USD)
Taxes/Fees: $10.70 (USD)
Subtotal per Passenger: $109.70 (USD)

I guess this comes down to whether or not the fare and taxes/fees show up separately on my Amex statement. Anyone have experience with this?
I think Amex stopped that. In November, I purchased a Delta flight that was $86 including tax, and it was not reimbursed.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:33 pm

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: DL only

Originally Posted by ikonos
Any idea if Alaska Air offers gift cards and if they have been credited by Amex? How about Delta gift certificates? Thanks.
no on Delta gift certificates
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:29 am

I will be cancelling the card upon renewal, so I used it to renew my Skyclub membership. I confirmed with a rep that it would work for that and that I could call in to get it refunded if it did not appear automatically. $100 for a year of SC will work well for me!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I only fly delta domestically so I reg'ed with delta and use it for inflight meals, because of the $200 dollar credit I have been generous on my flights buying neighbors food/drinks etc.
Great idea! I should wait to eat until on the plane!^
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:19 am

I have $79.09 in incidental credit to use up with Delta before I cancel the plat card in February. Just upgraded two flights to EC for $120.91 and saw the credit within 24 hours.

I'm really not up for a fight for getting Award builder or purchased miles credited. Any other great ideas?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: DL only

USA Centurion and Platinum cardholder reports of Delta Airlines expenses which were reimbursed.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:12 pm

Location: Bangkok Thailand HYATT DIAMOND, DL PM, DL 2 Million Miler
Programs: THAI RO Gold, Hilton Gold,Marriott something
Booked a Award ticket DTW-BKK. The $83 taxes and fees were reimbursed
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Award ticket fee of $153 refunded after several SMs.
In-flight beverage purchase of $7 refunded automatically.
Award builder fee of $28 refunded after several SMs.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I don't know if older incidents are of interest, but a couple months ago I booked an award ticket on DL. At the time I had $120 of my credit left, and the taxes/fees were over $120, and I was reimbursed $120.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
My $84 Award Builder was credited after a polite SM requesting to expedite the reimbursement so I could change my airline of choice for 2012. ^
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I was able to get 2 $100 gift certificates refunded
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:55 am

Award fees/taxes of $151 reimbursed a day after charge was posted. If I get another award with fees/taxes over $49 will it be covered up to $49 or do I need to buy something $49 and under to get the credit?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Purchased a domestic ticket using vouchers, with the remainder of less than $90 going to the Plat card. Received reimbursement 2 days later.

Charge looks generally like a plane ticket, category "Travel - Airline" but document type is "additional collection."

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Award fees/taxes of $151 reimbursed a day after charge was posted. If I get another award with fees/taxes over $49 will it be covered up to $49 or do I need to buy something $49 and under to get the credit?
If you can charge a reimbursable expense over $49 and you'll be credited $49.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.