Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by NavyUCF
I haven't called AMEX, but my guess is that 4 X $60 would be, of coure, over $200 max, so the company did not reimburse the fourth transaction. (Incidentally, I think I had spent about $15 on a Delta flight in terms of meals.)
Right. I'm wondering, like if you spent $210 on food on the DL flight (God that would be awful), would they reimburse up to $200, or none at all because the purchase was over $200?

Has anyone had luck getting $200 of a purchase reimbursed, when the total charge exceeded $200?

Note, my award booking fee, charged separately, was $10. So I don't see why at least that wasn't reimbursed, even if the $225 miles purchase wasn't.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:26 pm

So transferring 17,000 Delta miles for $200 would work for this right? Right now with the 100% transfer bonus that nets you 34,000 miles.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna
So transferring 17,000 Delta miles for $200 would work for this right? Right now with the 100% transfer bonus that nets you 34,000 miles.
Doesn't look promising... miles purchases are being categorized as "Document Type : FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE", which the system doesn't seem to pick up as an "incidental expense".
See data point here: Post 447.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Reimbursed for Precious Cargo

I was reimbursed $200 just two days after completing DL flights where my partner and I each took a pet. (DL charges $125 per pet in the cabin)
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:11 am

Transfered DL 7000 miles on 9/18 from my DL account to my wife's DL account and vice versa for $100 each. Got reimbursed on 9/20.

Last edited by StanleyLi; Sep 20, 2011 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by StanleyLi
Transfered DL 7000 miles on 9/18 from my DL account to my wife's DL account and vice versa for $100 each. Got reimbursed on 9/20.
That's impressive, because I believe mile transfers are explicitly on the "no" list. I guess the overall lesson here is that if you keep purchases small, you'll have much better luck.

As for the ongoing saga of my points purchase from DL (which is not explicitly on the "no" list), I called a CSR yesterday who said he "put it through"; it hasn't shown up on my account yet but he did say it went through without any problem. The credit is supposed to post within 6 weeks; we'll see.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt PM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
FYI for those Delta flyers out there I bought an airline ticket for $139.40 last week and got reimbursed for it 3 days later.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:28 am
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Data Point

First post, long time lurker. Just got reimbursed two separate one-way Delta ticket purchases ($98 and $73). I only had $150 reimbursement allowance left and was worried that only the first ticket would get reimbursed ($98). Instead, they reimbursed: $98 and $52. I'm very satisfied ^
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:55 pm

How to use the $200 Airline Credit by the end of the year

Hello all,

I have used almost none of my $200 annual credit. I have mine on Delta. Am I correct that I lose it if I don't use it by the end of the year?

I tried to use it to change a ticket, but the change fee of $150 was more than the cost of a one way ticket, so I had to buy the one way instead.

Any thoughts on what to do with the credit?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:09 pm
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
The one way ticket should be reimbursed (mine was). Other alternatives include: baggage fee and Delta Sky Club one day pass.

I'm inclined to say food and beverage on-board, but for some reason, mine did not get reimbursed (happened two months ago, but it was only $5.00 and I did not want to waste a few minutes to call them).
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by johnny_lats
Hello all,

I have used almost none of my $200 annual credit. I have mine on Delta. Am I correct that I lose it if I don't use it by the end of the year?

I tried to use it to change a ticket, but the change fee of $150 was more than the cost of a one way ticket, so I had to buy the one way instead.

Any thoughts on what to do with the credit?

Thanks!
Yeah, that ticket has a good chance of being reimbursed due to the low dollar amount. You will know within a few days.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:45 pm

Delta Options

I hate to leave $180 on the table. Delta seems to be the least attractive airline as far as this deal goes. I won't be flying Delta between now and 12-31. My only option seems to be to go to the airport multiple times and buy gift certificates in increments of less than $50. Very inconvenient! Do I have that right?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by Bbabbaloo
I hate to leave $180 on the table. Delta seems to be the least attractive airline as far as this deal goes. I won't be flying Delta between now and 12-31. My only option seems to be to go to the airport multiple times and buy gift certificates in increments of less than $50. Very inconvenient! Do I have that right?

Thanks!
I assume you mean standing in line twice? Wouldn't you be able to do one transaction, then after it is completed remember that you wanted to do it again? Unless they hold and combine transactions before sending them to their merchant processor, that should work. Also, do you need to go down to $50 for delta? $90 on American website worked just fine for me. Is their nothing you can buy from dental online?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dbh1
I assume you mean standing in line twice? Wouldn't you be able to do one transaction, then after it is completed remember that you wanted to do it again? Unless they hold and combine transactions before sending them to their merchant processor, that should work. Also, do you need to go down to $50 for delta? $90 on American website worked just fine for me. Is their nothing you can buy from dental online?
I just checked Delta's website and you can't buy gift certificates there. Must buy them at airport or at ticket office (NYC is only one). Then you can't even redeem them online. Must go to ticket office or travel agent. Pretty useless...

Purchasing a Delta Gift Certificate
Gift certificates can be purchased with cash, check, or credit card at any of our Delta Ticket Offices or airport locations2.

Using a Delta Gift Certificate
The recipient of a Delta Gift Certificate can redeem their dollar amount for an air ticket or Delta Sky Club membership at any Delta U.S., San Juan, or U.S. Virgin Islands ticket office location, including your local travel agent.

Gift certificates are not redeemable at delta.com at this time.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by canesfan
I just checked Delta's website and you can't buy gift certificates there. Must buy them at airport or at ticket office (NYC is only one). Then you can't even redeem them online. Must go to ticket office or travel agent. Pretty useless...

Purchasing a Delta Gift Certificate
Gift certificates can be purchased with cash, check, or credit card at any of our Delta Ticket Offices or airport locations2.

Using a Delta Gift Certificate
The recipient of a Delta Gift Certificate can redeem their dollar amount for an air ticket or Delta Sky Club membership at any Delta U.S., San Juan, or U.S. Virgin Islands ticket office location, including your local travel agent.

Gift certificates are not redeemable at delta.com at this time.
One data point:
I tried to buy a gift card at the airport. The first reaction you will get by an agent at the counter is surprise. They probably never knew that their company sold gift cards because you can only buy them at the airport and you cannot redeem them online thus getting hit with a phone booking fee or airport fee when you redeem it.

Also Delta requires you to name a recipient of the gift card who is the only person who can redeem the gift card. Another thing is that for some reasons I was told that some states do not allow the sale of gift cards, so you cannot buy a gift card (at least a Delta one) in CA and some others.

Anyways, I bought a gift card for $50 and did not get reimbursed. The transaction was coded as "Passenger Ticket" rather than "Additional Collection". I am not sure if it was the standard rule or because the agent did not know how to code it. I will probably return it for a refund with a 10% penalty fee the next time I fly.

I booked an TATL award ticket with taxes and fees around $180 and was immediately reimbursed the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.